IGNORED

Source code for 7800 games...

dwhyte

Not sure if this information was released in this forum as I spend most of my time in the Atari 8bit section of AA... but here you go:

Source code of several Atari 7800 games

You beat me to it, I was about to post the same link!

I love how well commented the code is. It makes it so trivial to locate the hardcoded settings and modify them. I suppose we can expect people out there to create their own modifications of those games then? ;)

It never ceases to amaze me how with everything written in black and white, someone always decides to completely re-write the facts as programmerfish did and makes this out like Atari released the games, they are now open source and blah blah blah....

Read the actual page where I posted up all of the sources and try to accurately write about the facts and not put your own slant on things, now go back and correct your webpages and put down where the sources came from (not Atari, not official, unofficial or otherwise), its not open source, no one ever said it was open source - do you see an open source license? and just get your facts straight.

Curt

Perhaps you should be careful what you release into the PD curt...some people will steal anything and pass it off as their own (like you mentioned about various pics of proto hardware taken from your site)

How much more careful could he have been?

Allan

Perhaps you should be careful what you release into the PD curt...some people will steal anything and pass it off as their own (like you mentioned about various pics of proto hardware taken from your site)

How much more careful could he have been?

Allan

possibly by moddying the source code somewhat and making it say (when executed) supplied courtesy of atarihistory dot com or something like that (obviously that part of the code would be encrypted so not to be easily identifiable)

just like dave staugas did with some ST program making it say 'loves bea hablig' (i can't remember the full version of what was said)...i think there were other examples

I thought it was pretty crappy too... clearly this was a case of "blogspam", where someone finds a web page or a blog entry, writes up a bunch of crap about it, then submits his own blog entry to slashdot or digg just to get the ad views.

He also didn't mention that Joust was the 2600 version.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I see the Programmerfish Tool^H^H^H^HBlogger has corrected his web page.

Sort of. It still implies it was released by "Atari", claiming they made an official statement about it. Then he has a correction buried at the bottom where half the people won't see it. Why not just put the correction up top and remove the faulty information?

And he still seems clueless that Super Pac-Man is not an original Atari game and Joust is the 2600 version. He won't know until somebody tells him because he doesn't understand what the hell he posted.

It's amusing and lame how he says he "accidentally" skipped the part about source - atarimuseum.com.

Regardless of whether he saw this footnote on the atarimuseum site, how could he "accidentally" forget that he copied the files from someone else? Giving credit should be a natural impulse unless he's just out for the attention.

"unofficially open sourced" translates in my dictionary to "stolen".

He's lucky nobody's around to care anymore. (or are they?)

I think that actually is the case. Atari's barely around now, the lawyers don't care, and the original developers are supportive of our efforts.

At least that's the vibe I'm getting from what I've read around here...otherwise Atari Age wouldn't be freely distributing ROM images.

"unofficially open sourced" translates in my dictionary to "stolen".

He's lucky nobody's around to care anymore. (or are they?)

I think that actually is the case. Atari's barely around now, the lawyers don't care, and the original developers are supportive of our efforts.

At least that's the vibe I'm getting from what I've read around here...otherwise Atari Age wouldn't be freely distributing ROM images.

You make a lot of dangerous assumptions. I would not underestimate the determination of lawyers hired(being paid BIG BUX)

to keep their properties safe. From my dealing with Midway and Gorf, I can assure you that your portral of things is not at all

how they feel, at least Midway anyway.

Edited by Gorf