IGNORED

Mega Man 2600 demo game (binary)

djmips

Here's the binary mega man demo from the iam8bit 2007 show. It was done on a tight deadline and uses modified batari basic, there's quite a bit of straight assembly code and it runs on a Super Chip because I needed the extra ram. And it's a 32K bankswitched cart because of all of the art.

enjoy.

It's been awhile but here's the credits as far as I remember. ;-)

Jon M. Gibson (inspiration / producer)

David Galloway (code and art - me!)

Tommy Montgomery (sound)

Fred Quimby (tech assistance and bBasic of course)

Chris Walton (awesome title screen code)

Bob Montgomery ( music player )

Atariage programmers!

The art took me longer than the code on this production.

Instructions :

Button is Jump.

Pull down on the joystick to shoot.

You can stun the enemies by shooting them.

You have to ascend through four screens to reach the boss.

(edited to add basic instructions)

MegaManDemo.bin

Edited by djmips
  • Like 2

Thanks for making this available.. Though I am already frustrated since I can't seem to get beyond the third scrolling up-point and keep falling to the very bottom again

But the title screen is Awesome!

Thanks for making this available.. Though I am already frustrated since I can't seem to get beyond the third scrolling up-point and keep falling to the very bottom again

But the title screen is Awesome!

Also, I'm about 99% sure the boss is invincible.

Well... it is a Mega Man game. :P

Great ;) I will wait for final product...

It is already finished. There was never plans for a full game in this case.

Just remembered where i'd heard of one of those names before and it was a different person

Fred Quimby, producer of Tom and Jerry cartoons

Still trying to remember where i'd heard of Bob Montgomery

There was a Bob Montgomery who was a songwriter with Buddy Holly. And there was a Robert Montgomery, actor.

Michael

How come when I click the download link, instead of downloading the .bin file it shows me the code for the game? What good is that if you actually want to play the game?

Edited by 4Ks

why does bob montgomery or fred quimby ring so many bells ....or perhaps i am thinking of other people

They are both very good 2600 programmers, and Fred is the creator of Batari BASIC.

Or could it be this?

MrBurns.gif

222px-Mayor_Quimby.png

Interestingly, Mayor Quimby actually does link directly to "Fred Quimby"

From when I first encountered batari's real name, "Fred Quimby" was familiar to me from what seemed like long ago. The reason was finally revealed to me the other day while watching cartoons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Quimby

Wow, that Mega Man demo kicks some serious ass! I trust the enhanced music and graphics are thanks to the extra RAM? Because I highly doubt that game would run on a bare 2600.

BTW, there's no shoot button, right? There's only one button on the 2600 and the spacebar makes Mega Man jump.

*Sigh*, I really hate emulators... >_<

*Sigh*, I really hate emulators... >_<

Sorry, to read that. I really love emulators. The MegaMan Demo plays great in Stella 2.8.4 with OpenGL mode and TV Effects. Couple that with a Stelladapter:

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?ma...products_id=267

Or build your own USB adapters:

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=25

And have an actual Atari 2600 controller connected. Plays exactly like the real system. If you did not have knowledge beforehand that it was an emulator, you probably would not notice a difference.

Sorry to diverge and I understand why some are turned off to emulators, but with a little time in configuration, and spending less than the cost of buying another system on eBay or the likes, you have can have an excellent console experience rivaling that of the actual system itself. While nothing beats the real thing, some emulators (Like Stella with a Stelladapter) make it close to if not identical to playing it on the actual system.

Back to the topic on hand, MegaMan looks fantastic...It never ceases to amaze me what can be done by the 2600 with pushing the system limits and a little creativity along with adaptability.

-Trebor

How come when I click the download link, instead of downloading the .bin file it shows me the code for the game? What good is that if you actually want to play the game?

Could someone please answer my question?

Could someone please answer my question?

What do you mean by code? If you mean random characters then its a browser problem. What browser and OS are you using? Can you download *.bin files from other threads OK?

I'm using a Windows XP with Internet Explorer. And yes, I can download other binaries fine.