IGNORED

Mega Man 2600 demo game (binary)

djmips

Very cool little game. So HAS anyone killed the boss??? I've tried several times now and he seems invincible.

about that boss....

He was the last thing to go in on a very tight schedule. He didn't receive much balance tuning. Since the whole work was more of an 'art' piece in a way, it somehow made it a statement if not about life sometimes but then maybe the perceived difficulty of Mega Man games. ;-)

He could use some more work.

Edited by djmips

Any chance for an additional control scheme that supports the booster grip? This would provide two separate buttons for jump and shoot.

Yeah, I would be all over that. And man, I tried playing this with a keyboard on Stella. TOO hard! Going to have to get a USB joystick from Curt. Booster grip sounds like a good way to go. Would it be similar/possible for someone to write in detection to use the European Atari 2-button joypads? Then it's really feel like Mega Man! :)

Yep if this was a full out complete homebrew I'd pay $50 for a cartridge of it with no problems & no questions asked except where to send the money.

Yeah dude, I know what you mean. I wonder what djmips plan is. I know he mentoined about the boss needing tweaked and about people making new levels and enemies. I'm just curious about the future. ^_^

No pressure though dude, I know you just made this for iAm8bit.

Edited by Jinroh

Yep if this was a full out complete homebrew I'd pay $50 for a cartridge of it with no problems & no questions asked except where to send the money.

Yeah dude, I know what you mean. I wonder what djmips plan is. I know he mentoined about the boss needing tweaked and about people making new levels and enemies. I'm just curious about the future. ^_^

Hell, just punk the level layouts from some of the gameboy megaman layouts and tweak to 2600 needs as needed :grin:

Hell, just punk the level layouts from some of the gameboy megaman layouts and tweak to 2600 needs as needed :grin:

^o^ Can't say I'd be against it. A mixup like the gameboy games would be cool too. Some bosses from 1 & 2 would be sweet.

ah... yes it's a bit weird. You pull down on the joystick to shoot.

Do you plan to make the button fire and moving the joystick up jump?

No, because I think that jumping is important enough that the timing/control just wouldn't work with that scheme. It does make shooting awkward but shooting doesn't have quite the timing issues. I would consider releasing a version for the Genesis controller because it 'just works' as a two button controller for the 2600.

Okay. I still think that jumping will work with pressing up. Fortunately, the Atari can "see" both left/right and up at the same time. In any case, outstanding programming!

Edited by Devin

ah... yes it's a bit weird. You pull down on the joystick to shoot.

Do you plan to make the button fire and moving the joystick up jump?

No, because I think that jumping is important enough that the timing/control just wouldn't work with that scheme. It does make shooting awkward but shooting doesn't have quite the timing issues. I would consider releasing a version for the Genesis controller because it 'just works' as a two button controller for the 2600.

Okay. I still think that jumping will work with pressing up. Fortunately, the Atari can "see" both left/right and up at the same time. In any case, outstanding programming!

We should have an option for such a thing different binaries perhaps, but anyway, personally I'd have a hell of a time if UP was jump. I have a lollerific time making some of the jumps just in the demo with the jump button. ^o^ That's just personal inability though, I'd be UP lol for trying it with up.

I've not looked into the Paddle Button Genesis button B fire/Jump thing that was proposed above but that would be an option I'd like considering I have at least 3 Genesis controllers lying around. ^o^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it any wonder one of the first PM I got after coming back to AA was "Have you seen THIS?!" And I was happy to reply YES. This homebrew is definitely making noise in the MM collectors community and I even watched a YouTube demo that was posted elsewhere (I believe at Capcom-Unity though I'm not sure ATM).

• 10 months later...
Could someone please answer my question?

What do you mean by code? If you mean random characters then its a browser problem. What browser and OS are you using? Can you download *.bin files from other threads OK?

The file's MIME type is not being recognized either by your browser or your desktop OS. Instead of left clicking on it, right click it instead and try and save it to your local desktop/drive.

.bin files, besides being ROMs are also an archive type--specifically a Mac OS9 or OSX Stuff-It archive that has been converted to binary hex so that it can be posted to UNIX. With Apple's switch to OS X, they have sort of disappeared. I think OS X 10.6 might not even recognize them anymore without a Stuff-It install.

So, somewhere between here and there and the Moon, something farted. Try again.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

We'll be playing Mega Man on tomorrow's (Sun Jun 14) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, chewy said:

so you guys have moved around in this game?  i for the life of me cant past the second ledge there right after starting the game....

yeah, ;-)   if you check out the video in the previous comment they get to the boss for example.

• 11 months later...