IGNORED

Collection Advice Please

JustPassinThru

Hello. New poster here but I've been collecting for awhile. I'm hoping to get some advice here. I'm going to be moving shortly, probably 4-6 weeks, and have been thinking about selling my classic gaming collection to keep from moving it. What is the best way to deal with a task like this? I'm sure some of you have encountered this problem? Is Ebay the best way?(I'm not a fan of that). Do I make up a bunch of lots? Sell as a big group? Sell groups of smaller games and sell the bigger stuff seperate? I have a lot of nice stuff and would like for it to go to a good home? Off the top of my head here are some of my better/favorite items:

--2600--

Halloween<---dunno if I'd get rid of this one

Crazy Climber with manual

Atari Video Cube with manual

Treshold

Guardian

Bumper Bash

Stuntman

Robin Hood/Sir Lancelot CIB

Spy Hunter with manual and joystick tray

Frontline boxed(maybe CIB I'd have to look)<---not as rare but one of my favs

Cosmic Swarm CIB or boxed

Pooyan CIB or boxed

a couple CIB gatefold games

Rampage CIB

Frogger 2 with manual

Pong Sports CIB

Off the Wall CIB

---a lot of mid level rares(for example)---

Sorcerer's Apprentice

Spacemaster X-7

Private Eye

Solar Storm

Tomcat f-14

Frankenstein's Monster

Gremlins

Pigs in Space

---several boxed/CIB games---

some examples are:

Mario Bros

Krull

He Man

Pitfall 2

several Activision and Parker Bros games(my favorites)

----items for other systems----

--5200--

Zone Ranger NIB

--7800--

Mean 18 Ultimate Golf

Mat Mania Challenge CIB

Choplifter CIB

--Colecovision--

system and Atari adapter CIB

roller controller

several games, a few solid rares, will have to get a list

--Intellivision--

Sears system in a trashed box

Pac Man-white label

Congo Bongo with manual

--Vectrex--

system works great

3 sealed games(will have to check on the titles, a soccer game, Berzerk and something else)

--NES--

several solid rares would have to get a list. I can remember Namco Ms Pac Man, Contra Force, Dragon Warrior 2, Bonk's Adventure with manual and Adventure Island

Color A Dinosaur CIB

Micro Machines boxed

Power Glove incomplete with box(could be better)

Arkanoid controller

These are just some of the items I have. What is the best way to keep from moving all of it with me? I don't know that a big lot would be the best way to go but I could be wrong. Any help would be APPRECIATED. Thank You!

Edited by JustPassinThru

I can only speak for your Atari items.

I'd recommend Ebay and take game rated 7 or above and sell them separately. Take your 5s and 6s and make small groups or 4 or so and sell them together. Bunch as many commons together as possible and sell them together with a system. You'll reach a point of diminishing returns with the system + common games. I'd say cut it off around 60 or 70 and try to make another batch with a system.

Not everyone will agree, but in my experience this has been a pretty good system. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the input guys! Yes, I do have an Intellivision Congo Bongo. Did I mention it and the manual are dead mint! :-) Seriously, if anyone wanted a pic I'd get one. Here's an update on my Colecovision games. These are some of the harder to get ones that I have:

BCs Quest for Tires 2-Grog's Revenge

Congo Bongo<----again! :-)

Decathlon

Fathom-Imagic

Gyruss

James Bond 007

Moonsweeper

Nova Blast

Root Beer Tapper

Star Trek

Super Cross Force

Also, I forgot to add I have a complete series of the Atari Age magazines. Perfect condition too. I remember at the time they were hard for me to find.

Thanks Again!

I think you should keep everything. Trust me when I tell you that I hear on here all the time how people were going to move and got rid of their collection, only to start collecting a few years later and saying they're kicking themselves. If you don't want to drag things, then get rid of only the commons and keep all the rare stuff. Commons are easily replaced for a reasonable price. Unless you have boxes, you can probably fit all your rares in 2 or 3 packing boxes, which will be well worth it. I don't think I can ever part with my collection. I'm actually going to write down for my wife what she should be able to get for specific pieces of my collectibles in case I die. I don't want her giving everything away for $5.

Phil

I think you should keep everything. Trust me when I tell you that I hear on here all the time how people were going to move and got rid of their collection, only to start collecting a few years later and saying they're kicking themselves. If you don't want to drag things, then get rid of only the commons and keep all the rare stuff. Commons are easily replaced for a reasonable price. Unless you have boxes, you can probably fit all your rares in 2 or 3 packing boxes, which will be well worth it. I don't think I can ever part with my collection. I'm actually going to write down for my wife what she should be able to get for specific pieces of my collectibles in case I die. I don't want her giving everything away for $5.

Phil

I'm going to have to agree with Phil on this. I know it would be a pain, but keeping your collectibles would definitely benefit you down the road, instead of having to start all over again. I know from personal experience that this hurts in the long run. I have just recently started collecting game systems again (Atari 2600 and Nintendo Gamecube plus Gba Sp), and I WISH I would have kept all the stuff I had for these systems before I decided to get rid of them all. I kick myself over and over, as I had complete games for the Gba that I miss terribly to this day. AND my Gamecube collection was 100 percent better than it is now! :x Hopefully I've learned my lesson as of this posting NOT to give anything away or sell it again!

-Steve