IGNORED

Say Good-Bye to the 2600 Connection

Shquata

I do not know if it has already been mentioned , if it has , I appologize and I am sure people will swan dive down my throat to let me know, but the 2600 connection news letter just had it's 100th issue and this is also it's last. I am sure there are many opinions on it , but I for one hate to see anything "die" when it comes to the 2600 :( :( :( :( :(

The old guy

I subscribed for a long time (even had an article or two in it), but with the age of the internet the 2600 Connection had really outlived its usefulness. It was a nicely put together little newsletter, but by the time it shipped everything in it was old news. Print really is dead I'm afraid.

Tempest

I never subscribed to it. My wife thinks I have enough clutter already. But I love reading and I personally don't think print is totally dead. What will be discovered in the near future is the huge problems of people in front of their computer all the time and how their eyesight is affected. I find reading on the computer extremely annoying. At least with a good book in hand, when the power goes out, you can still read. Plus I like to do a good amount of reading lying in my bed. And for those of you who own a laptop, I don't and would not bring my computer to bed anyway. I love paper, the look, the feel, the smell. Maybe I should have been a librarian. Too bad this publication is ending.

Phil

I subscribed for a long time (even had an article or two in it), but with the age of the internet the 2600 Connection had really outlived its usefulness. It was a nicely put together little newsletter, but by the time it shipped everything in it was old news. Print really is dead I'm afraid.

Tempest

True, your not going to get up to the minute news but I really enjoyed getting it in the mail and sitting down, away from a computer and reading it. I have to completely disagree with you here. Print is definitely not dead. They have been saying this since the 1980s. I can't even imagine not having books. Reading a book on a computer? That's torture. I still like getting magazines as well (at least what's left of them).

Allan

Tempest

True, your not going to get up to the minute news but I really enjoyed getting it in the mail and sitting down, away from a computer and reading it. I have to completely disagree with you here. Print is definitely not dead. They have been saying this since the 1980s. I can't even imagine not having books. Reading a book on a computer? That's torture. I still like getting magazines as well (at least what's left of them).

Allan

I'm pretty sure when they say "print is dead", they are referring to magazines and newspapers. I don't think anyone is claiming books are dead, even with the success of Kindle. I do believe that newspapers are dying and all but the most popular magazines are headed that way as well. Certainly, any print publication that deals in breaking news has been made obsolete by the Internet. I can certainly see niche magazines which don't cover super timely information or topics with really high quality photos sticking around for a long time, but the rest are going to be gone within the next few years.

Rather than simply dying, why doesn't it just go online? Seriously, it would make better sense, wider audience, and quicker updates.

I've subscribed off and on since the Tim Duarte days. I wish it would continue also. It brightens my day when I receive a new issue in the mail.

I was thrilled when Russ Perry Jr. took over for Tim Duarte, but I was less excited when someone took over for Russ. The fanzine's had a pretty good run- much longer than any of mine or practically anyone else's- and I think it's the right time to close up shop.

Having said that, the 2600 Connection should have some kind of online presence. I think it did have a web site during the Russ Perry years, but I'm not sure if it still exists.

Edited by Jess Ragan

There's a website where you can scan in all your issues and upload them in PDF format for others to read. How many pages is each issue roughly?

I see you can order back issues on your website. I would be interested in purchasing them if they are still available, but why only issues 1 - 50? I need the complete collection. Maybe someone should make "The Complete 2600 Connection Collection", which would include every book in one book, along with a nice foreword written by somebody. I'd definitely want a copy.

Tim Duarte sounds very familiar. I think I had an old copy of 2600 Connection in the early 90's and he was selling one of those Imagic store demo units with the game selector. His name sounds very familiar to me. He was selling it for like $40 or something + shipping. I always kick myself for not buying it.

There's a website where you can scan in all your issues and upload them in PDF format for others to read. How many pages is each issue roughly?

I see you can order back issues on your website. I would be interested in purchasing them if they are still available, but why only issues 1 - 50? I need the complete collection. Maybe someone should make "The Complete 2600 Connection Collection", which would include every book in one book, along with a nice foreword written by somebody. I'd definitely want a copy.

Tim Duarte sounds very familiar. I think I had an old copy of 2600 Connection in the early 90's and he was selling one of those Imagic store demo units with the game selector. His name sounds very familiar to me. He was selling it for like $40 or something + shipping. I always kick myself for not buying it.

You can get the other issues from Russ Perry Jr. for #51 - #76 or Al Backiel for #77 and up at $2.00 each.

This is listed in the Connection....not sure if it's okay for me to list the addresses and emails here ???? :ponder:

The old guy

Edited by Shquata

That's sad. I subscribed a couple of months ago to support it but I guess my effort to help with edition 100 was not enough. :(

I subscribed on issue 99 too. Just 2 issues in and it's cancelled... I enjoyed getting those envelopes through the door too. Made me feel somehow more involved with the scene.

You will be missed 2600 Connection....

Don't suppose there is anyone here who would be interested in keeping it going?

I offer my services as a European printer / distributer! And wouldn't mind helping out in other areas (webhosting on my site etc.)

Edited by retrozoneorg

What about Mean Santa? Will that be released?

There's an article about it and how to get one in issue #100.

For those who don't get the newsletter, any chance of being able to know how to obtain a copy then...?

What about Mean Santa? Will that be released?

There's an article about it and how to get one in issue #100.

For those who don't get the newsletter, any chance of being able to know how to obtain a copy then...?

It's listed on the 2600 connection webpage. I don't know how much postage to the UK will be though ...

Chris

EDIT: Oops - I see that you were talking about "Mean Santa" rather than issue 100 itself - I've no idea in this case.

Edited by cd-w

Has anyone gotten the last issue? Is it too late to order a copy? I would like an issue and the Mean Santa cartridge.

It seems a little silly to send them $2.00 via paypal then send them another paypal for the cartridge. Is there anyway to send them the money for both and receive them at the same time? That would save them postage and be a little greener.

Has anyone gotten the last issue? Is it too late to order a copy? I would like an issue and the Mean Santa cartridge.

It seems a little silly to send them $2.00 via paypal then send them another paypal for the cartridge. Is there anyway to send them the money for both and receive them at the same time? That would save them postage and be a little greener.

The game is not available yet. The latest info is they are hoping to have it sometime in September.

You can get the other issues from Russ Perry Jr. for #51 - #76 or Al Backiel for #77 and up at $2.00 each.

This is listed in the Connection....not sure if it's okay for me to list the addresses and emails here ????

The old guy ;)

Edited by Shquata

The game is not available yet. The latest info is they are hoping to have it sometime in September.

This is listed in the Connection....not sure if it's okay for me to list the addresses and emails here ????

Guess I forgot to mention , both of there emails are on the web site :ponder: , just click on their names.

The old guy ;)