IGNORED

The Nintendo Gamecube: Do you have one and play it?

It was known as a failure when it was still a going concern, just go read some older threads at this board. That alone proves it isn't revisionist history.

Nintendo was so disappointed that they publically stated that if the GameCube's successor didn't outperform it, that they'd leave the console business and focus on handhelds (I'm assuming the handheld part).

I really don't think it's revisionist history talking about how "poorly" the Gamecube did.

Maybe not revisionist history, but I'd say the Cube was definitely on the wrong end of some double standards, both now and back in its day. It was derided for not having DVD playback, when both the PS2 and Xbox had DVD options that were so bad as to be considered useless. People said the Cube's graphics were crappy, yet on multi-platform titles, it would routinely beat the PS2 and be only slightly behind the Xbox. The online support was terrible, yet the PS2's wasn't much better, and somehow that's okay.

The Cube was not a perfect system, and I had my own complaints about it... but it by far got more playtime than my other two systems combined.

I don't know, back then DVD was the thing to have, yeah, it sucked to havve to buy a remote to access the feature on the X-box, but really, even now the X-box still does more than not so low end DVD players you can buy today do.

Of course, now, everything runs DVD (except Wii) so if have anything, then you've probably got a DVD player.

As for Cubes Graphics...agreed, mostly, in gameplay, the Cube regularly outperformed the PS2, and was only slightly behind the x-box, but I do know of at least one game, where you can see the cube fall behind in video output. Get a copy of Tony Hawk 2 for each system (the X-box was so awesome, cause they bought Trearch and they really added to it for the X-box graphically, it's still my favorit of the TH series) The cube is only slightly better on the graphics, but the sound and video of videos, both fall flat compared to the PS2.

As for revisionist history, I think it has to do with Nintendo, the previously "top dog" coming in behind Microsoft, a "nobody" at that point in time. Yeah, it sold only slightly less systems, and actually made money, unlike X-box, but had it been made by anybody else, pretty much any one could see that it would have been an instant failure and not carried for as long as it was.

Good points. I don't think I ever saw how disappointing the Gamecube was to some around here in the games available department. I was totally impressed with it after owning the previous systems (NES, SNES, and N64), and applauded Nintendo for taking the bold step into the disc media storage realm. Shocked me that they did the "smaller" disc thing. Why DID they do that, anyway? :? It still puzzles me about the format that they went with.

But my question is to everyone here: How collectible is the Gamecube versus other systems of the previous day? Is it in high demand, or just for casual collectors that have to have all the Nintendo game systems? What about games? How collectible are those? Easy to find or hard to find? I personally (in this area) have no trouble. Gamestop has a tremendous volume of Gamecube games, but they've condensed them down to a spinner rack, and aren't displayed on the wall anymore. Do I need to start worrying about collecting certain games or will I be okay with my searches down the road?

-Steve

I don't know, the Gamecube probably has he highest resale, as it's games actually *gasp* work in a next gen system. As a result, there is probably a slightly higher demand for Cube games tthan PS2/X-box games. As for a collectable due to old thing, well, youll have to really wait about 5, maybe 10 years befor we'll know if it'll be worth anything. I'd say, pick up all the Nintendo titles and oddball stuff now, for Nintendo, those always have the highest value it seems.

It was known as a failure when it was still a going concern, just go read some older threads at this board. That alone proves it isn't revisionist history.

Sorry - I guess our definition of "failure" and "not meeting expectations" differ.

Jaguar was a failure, in my eyes. Atari bled money every single quarter it was released, laid off people and ultimately shut their doors.

3DO was a failure, in my eyes. 3DO bled money, exited the business in a few years of entering and ultimately shut their doors.

32X was a failure. Sega canned it quickly

Virtual boy was a failure, cancelled after 16 games.

GameCube lived for about the same length of time as the original Xbox. More importantly, it generated billions in profits.

I'm sorry, but when I hear people say, "it bombed", that doesn't reconcile with me. Not a console that sold tens of millions of units and made billions of profits. It's lifespan was normal as well.

Ditto for when I hear "the GameCube didn't have any games" or "only Nintendo made games for it" and I look at the library of 700+ titles and the hundreds of millions of games sold.

I agree: it didn't meet expectations.

I don't call it a bomb/flop/failure ala Jaguar/3DO/32X

DracIsBack

Like I already mentioned, profits don't matter to the consumer. It doesn't matter how much Nintendo made on the Gamecube or how much MS lost on the Xbox to them. Being the number one console maker to falling to number three, behind a newcomer within ten years is looked upon as the opposite of success. And I also question how much Nintendo made on the Gamecube. For all we know, all of that money was made by their handheld division.

And Atariboy is correct. Nintendo did say that if the Wii didn't out-perform the Gamecube they would get out of the console business. So it sounds like Nintendo themselves were disappointed in the Gamecube. The N64 sold around 32 million units and is considered a failure. The Gamecube sold around 22 million units or 10 million less than the N64, and if that is not considered a failure, then what is? And also the fact that the Wii controls are so radically different than the Gamecubes show that Nintendo wasn't happy with the direction their console business was heading.

Edited by MCHufnagel

We all realize that Nintendo has taken "risks" with some of their console designs (Virtual Boy, for example). I think my issue is that Nintendo has indicated the Gamecube a "failure", but I heavily disagree. Understandably, it's your own personal point of view, and remember we as the consumers support these companies (hence the reports of sales generated, compared to other consoles in Nintendo's lineup, equals failure at the dollar level/unit level).

If you look at the bottom line then yes, the Gamecube "failed" NINTENDO's expectations and profit margin. Then the fans get involved, those that stand behind the Gamecube, and consider it a huge "success". I personally love the Gamecube, and wouldn't trade it or sell it. I wonder how many people actually carried their Gamecubes to their friend's houses to play some games? I mean, someone around here must have used the handle at some point? Did any of you do this?

My other question is this: IS the Wii a "huge success"? Did it meet or beat Nintendo's expectations? Is it super popular? I never "got into it" because if I owned a Wii, it wouldn't go online. Doesn't the system boast online capabilities? Is that the key selling point of the system? What type of system (do you think) is it if it never goes online? How much "fun" can you have with the system if you don't have anyone to play games with?

Just a few more questions and comments.

Steve

Edited by classicgamingguy

I loved the GameCube, I thought that was clear when I said I owned three. And it got transported to someone's house once as well, so the handle came in handy at least once for me. I own 40 or so GameCube games, and bought a Wii when it was less than a year old to primarily play GameCube games through component in progressive scan (I never bought the GC's component cable).

So I think its safe to say I'm a fan, even though I enjoyed my Xbox more.

The Wii has online capabilities, but its a secondary feature. Unless you want to use the internet browser, purchase Virtual Console and WiiWare games, or utilize the online multiplayer a small percentage of Wii titles include, it doesn't do much of anything. It doesn't alter the experience of 95% of the library.

Why does it matter though? You clearly have a internet connection. So unless its just 56k, your all set to go online.

Edited by Atariboy

Well, yes I have an internet connection..............at work, so I don't think my boss would appreciate me plugging in a Wii and playing games. And yes, before you say so, Atariboy (WHY are you on the internet when you should be working...??), my job is slow sometimes so I have "time" to access the internet.

And sorry I missed your post about carrying the game system back and forth. Guess I'm just not that observant. Jeesh.

Steve

DracIsBack

Like I already mentioned, profits don't matter to the consumer.

And like *I* said, it appears we have very different definitions of what success or failure is. We'll need to agree to disagree. Your points about Nintendo's slide are all valid, but that's not my issue.

Again: I think many people (and pubs) remember the GameCube as being less successful than it actually was. That's it, that's all. End of story.

I still have it but I dont play cause I have a Wii (two of them). I do have the Gameboy adapter with it which is really cool so thats really the only thing thats making me keep it. (Plus I dont really like getting rid of consoles)

My opinion of the Gamecube is that it was cheaper than the Xbox and PS2 but far less successful in the "console wars". It may have made Nintendo profits but as far as video games in general it was somewhat of a flop.

It just didnt have anything special unlike the Wii. Nintendo did the smart thing with the Wii, "If you cant out-muscle them, out-smart them".

I still think the Wii is a fantastic machine especially the homebrew scene. :D

I traded my Gamecube away and haven't regretted it since. I am a Nintendo fan and I enjoyed a lot of what the Gamecube had to offer, but I didn't feel the need to hold onto it after experiencing just about all it had to offer.

My opinion of the Gamecube is that it was cheaper than the Xbox and PS2 but far less successful in the "console wars".

You just made my point from before.

the PS2 sold 140 million units. Nearly the XBox and GameCube together, multiplied by three!

The XBox sold 24 million units, or about 17% as many units as the PS2

The GameCube sold 22 million units, or about 16% as many as the PS2 and 92% as much as the XBox.

Yet the way you've written this is as though the XBox and PS2 were far ahead. That's what I find prevails in the media and hence the "revisionist history" comment! The PS2 totally was far ahead. My issue is how the Xbox is remembered saleswise . People often seem to think that the XBox was neck and neck with the PS2 when it was far, FAR, FAR behind. And likewise, they think it was far ahead of the GameCube in sales, which it was not (24 million vs. 22 million). The XBox was not far ahead sales wise but it lost money/

The PS2 left the GameCube and the XBox in the dust. Microsoft lost $4 billion on the first XBox and rushed the XBox 360 to market to try and catch up to Sony.

Hence my gripe with "bomb". If it bombed, then the XBox bombed too.

My opinion of the Gamecube is that it was cheaper than the Xbox and PS2 but far less successful in the "console wars".

You just made my point from before.

the PS2 sold 140 million units. Nearly the XBox and GameCube together, multiplied by three!

The XBox sold 24 million units, or about 17% as many units as the PS2

The GameCube sold 22 million units, or about 16% as many as the PS2 and 92% as much as the XBox.

Yet the way you've written this is as though the XBox and PS2 were far ahead. That's what I find prevails in the media and hence the "revisionist history" comment! The PS2 totally was far ahead. My issue is how the Xbox is remembered saleswise . People often seem to think that the XBox was neck and neck with the PS2 when it was far, FAR, FAR behind. And likewise, they think it was far ahead of the GameCube in sales, which it was not (24 million vs. 22 million). The XBox was not far ahead sales wise but it lost money/

The PS2 left the GameCube and the XBox in the dust. Microsoft lost $4 billion on the first XBox and rushed the XBox 360 to market to try and catch up to Sony.

Hence my gripe with "bomb". If it bombed, then the XBox bombed too.

I know what you mean as far as actual sales go but what I probably should have said was........"software wars"

Nobody supported the Gamecube like they did the Xbox and PS2. GC had its own unique titles and Nintendo IP (I hate that term)

Capcom, EA, Konomi.......I mean you had some big time games out there that the publishers didn't want or couldn't port the game to a Gamecube for whatever reason. In that area it was a big flop but considering the actual hardware sales and people like me who bought it and played it, it really wasnt. That's why I said it was somewhat of a failure especially since the Wii came out.

Yeah people think the Xbox was way far ahead but Microsoft has tons of money to buy anyone out and how can you say no to someone who throws a big check at you to make a port to their system?

I think what really hurts them are the Asian countries.

Back on topic sort of:

Anyone know what colors the Gamecube came out on?

Edited by cimerians

I bought a Gamecube shortly after launch and played the crap out of it - still play it occasionally. The best thing I liked about it was it's portability - I was living about 75 miles away from my girlfriend (now wife) at the time, so it was easy to pack it all up with a couple games when I came over for the weekend. I have very fond memories of playing Metroid Prime over the weekend at her apartment. :)

Actually I also started hacking around on my Gamecube a year or so ago - doing some homebrew related stuff - and ported a very old 2D DOS game to it which you can download here:

http://code.google.com/p/gamecubesopwith/

Of course you need an action replay and a memory-card-to-SD card converter to play it.

The same guy that wrote the main graphics library I used for this port actually ported Quake to Gamecube, if you can believe that...

Capcom, EA, Konomi.......I mean you had some big time games out there that the publishers didn't want or couldn't port the game to a Gamecube for whatever reason. In that area it was a big flop but considering the actual hardware sales and people like me who bought it and played it, it really wasnt. That's why I said it was somewhat of a failure especially since the Wii came out.

Your points are all legit, though I find the Cube suffers from revisionist history here too. People often remember it as "having no games" and "no third party support" and "no software sales" when there were 700 titles and hundreds of millions of GameCube games sold. It's completely true that some third parties avoided or abandoned the Cube. It's also true that some franchises missed the Cube. That said, Nintendo didn't make 690 of those 700 games themselves. :-) I found that most of the games I wanted to play on any of the systems generally made it to all three vs. only XBox and PS2.

Yeah people think the Xbox was way far ahead but Microsoft has tons of money to buy anyone out and how can you say no to someone who throws a big check at you to make a port to their system?

That was one thing Microsoft did well. Money was really no object to make the XBox appear "bigger" than it actually was. Shelf space, adds, third parties, the works. They bled money hand over fist, but the illusion of success worked.

Only Microsoft has the ability to bleed $4 billion on something and continue.

DracIsBack

Like I already mentioned, profits don't matter to the consumer. It doesn't matter how much Nintendo made on the Gamecube or how much MS lost on the Xbox to them. Being the number one console maker to falling to number three, behind a newcomer within ten years is looked upon as the opposite of success. And I also question how much Nintendo made on the Gamecube. For all we know, all of that money was made by their handheld division.

And Atariboy is correct. Nintendo did say that if the Wii didn't out-perform the Gamecube they would get out of the console business. So it sounds like Nintendo themselves were disappointed in the Gamecube. The N64 sold around 32 million units and is considered a failure. The Gamecube sold around 22 million units or 10 million less than the N64, and if that is not considered a failure, then what is? And also the fact that the Wii controls are so radically different than the Gamecubes show that Nintendo wasn't happy with the direction their console business was heading.

I dunno, I think the failure of the last gen was xbox, billions lost and still counting. Yes the consumer doesnt care but when MS hit some hard times which eventually will happen, the losing products will hit the door, since xbox takes away from the bottom line, it would be out the door.

Gamecube made a big profit so in that sense it does matter.

I think you had a good deal in the Gamecube with the games. I went from N64 to PS/1 to PS/2, so I totally missed the Gamecube scene. I remember playing a demo in a store, and I saw some screen shots of Metroid, that game looks sweet :)

p/s the original Xbox had a lot of life left, I think MS pulled the plug on it too quick.

Your points are all legit, though I find the Cube suffers from revisionist history here too. People often remember it as "having no games" and "no third party support" and "no software sales" when there were 700 titles and hundreds of millions of GameCube games sold. It's completely true that some third parties avoided or abandoned the Cube. It's also true that some franchises missed the Cube. That said, Nintendo didn't make 690 of those 700 games themselves. :-) I found that most of the games I wanted to play on any of the systems generally made it to all three vs. only XBox and PS2.

yeah, I pretty well did that. I remember the cube as having nothing I wanted to play. And games that were out for all three systems, I generally filed into the "play it on anything except that damn gamecube" category. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Alien Hominid and XGRA come to mind as great games I own on gamecube, but play exclusively on other systems because they're not gamecube.

Oh I know I've heard that nintendo made money off of the gamecube, I just don't generally care to touch the system. I still haven't tried any of those new gamecube games I bought. I call my problem 'gamecube dread.' It's a feeling not based on anything rational at all, but is still a strong preference to not play the cube.

Edited by Reaperman

Well, yes I have an internet connection..............at work, so I don't think my boss would appreciate me plugging in a Wii and playing games. And yes, before you say so, Atariboy (WHY are you on the internet when you should be working...??), my job is slow sometimes so I have "time" to access the internet.

And sorry I missed your post about carrying the game system back and forth. Guess I'm just not that observant. Jeesh.

Steve

What are you going on about?

You asked if anyone ever took a GameCube to someone's house and used the handle, I was merely answering that. Then I commented how much I liked the GameCube so people didn't get the wrong impression that I disliked it from a earlier post where I passed along Nintendo stating that if the GameCube's successor didn't sell better than it did, that they'd abandon the console business, and that the system was widely regarded as a failure when it was still on the marketplace (Which kind of makes it hard to be considered revisionist history).

Then you asked several questions about the Wii's internet capabilities that I tried to answer. I'm sorry I assumed you had a internet connection.

Don't ask questions if you don't want someone trying to answer them. There was no reason to be rude.

Edited by Atariboy

I really enjoyed my Gamecube and was my system of choice before I got the 360 (In other words I was playing the GC almost on a daily basis before the 360) Part of this was because I came into the GC VERY late in it's cycle. In fact my first GC was a used unit off eBay (It came with like 24 games!) I only played around 5 or 6 of them before I got the 360 (and enjoyed every one), I really need to go back and play the others. I think when I do, I'll just use the Wii though.