IGNORED

The Nintendo Gamecube: Do you have one and play it?

Yes, I have one. In fact, the title of this thread made me dig it out and start playing it and collecting games for it again. I need to find a few games i'm missing, though. I know I have Mario Kart: Double Dash and Tetris Worlds around here somewhere. I also have a Wii, but prefer playing Gamecube games on the Gamecube because that's what the Gamecube was meant for: to play Gamecube games on.

Naw, I'm talking fact, you guys are the ones trying to get magic numbers from somewhere with your heads in the clouds (I hope, rather than up your asses) but like I said, it's not important either way. Don't believe me? fine, Now that I've actually gone and read your silly little link, it's clear you're not even pulling written numbers either (though I found I was close to right with 8billion but eh, no cigar still :P )

As for the cube....Yeah, I hear people using their Wii's to play Gamecube, but I wonder what games (or features) don't work? I mean, I've never heard of a 100% backwards compatible system (of course, for most people, 99% is close enough)

I suppose anything that used the expansion ports, obviously the GBP doesn't work, that probably excludes the modem thing too, though the Wii has one built in, if it's wired right it should be use able witht he two games that used it :P

I jsut don't remember what else there really was, most everything else worked through the memory or controller port.

But still, the early Cube's have HD support while the later ones (and supposdly the wii) do not.

Edited by Video

Naw, I'm talking fact, you guys are the ones trying to get magic numbers from somewhere with your heads in the clouds (I hope, rather than up your asses) but like I said, it's not important either way. Don't believe me? fine, Now that I've actually gone and read your silly little link, it's clear you're not even pulling written numbers either (though I found I was close to right with 8billion but eh, no cigar still :P )

I admit it: I am beaten. If logic, proof, and reason can't make you see past your childish, weak argument, I'm not wasting anymore thread space (especially in unrelated threads). I apologize for wasting everyone's time, especially as it was certainly all for nothing.

Well I'm bored, so I'll give this a try even though I know its futile at this point.

I'll detail how to do this so I don't confuse you Video.

Type in www.microsoft.com and then click on About Microsoft > Investor Relations > Corporate Information > Microsoft's Business Groups

Tada, proof that videogaming is all in one division, not the nonsense you were claiming where console sales were ran by a seperate division within Microsoft from game sales.

Now hit back on your browser. We're going to check Microsoft's latest annual report for the 2008 fiscal year. Click on annual reports and then click on "View Microsoft's 2008 Annual Report". Now click financial review. In here you can again get confirmation that gaming is all self contained in one division within Microsoft, but that's not why we came here. Click on "Discussion & Analysis". You'll want to scroll down to "SEGMENT PRODUCT REVENUE/OPERATING INCOME (LOSS)" Note how loss is within parenthesis. That indicates its a negative number for any number in here that has (#) around it. That means money was lost, rather than the company earning profits. Since your so unfamiliar with this, profits are when the revenue (The money the company earns from sales) is greater than the cost the company encurred to earn that revenue. If that's the case, they made more money than they lost trying to make money, which is obviousily the goal of any business if it wants to survive for long.

Anyways, you want to scroll down to the portion about Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division, which the Xbox falls under. Gee, what do we see here? Numbers that back up those ones you said I pulled out of my butt? They actually showed some profits in 2008. But look at 2007 and 2006. 1.9 billion and 1.3 billion in losses for each year. That doesn't mean they showed some profit, that means they had 1.9 billion and 1.3 billion more in cost in each of those years than they did in sales. Now realize this number is operating income only. Numbers for any profits they made from outside their operations (Such as selling a factory) aren't going to be listed, but obviousily this division exists for selling products to consumers and not Microsoft's assets for the division, so any number is likely to be unimportant. Add those together and we'll get whats known as "EBIT", or earnings before interest and taxes. Before we actually get Microsoft's profits, we have to substract things like expenses Microsoft has to pay on interest it owes in things like loans and also income taxes. So whatever profit they did make is likely to be very small or actually a loss, and those losses the company experienced suddenly became much larger.

Now, before we wrap this up, lets quickly see how they're doing as of the latest quarter that financial results are available from. Go back to investor relations and click on SEC Filings and click the Third quarter Form 10-Q. These are the results Microsoft by law has to publically report to the Securities & Exchange Commission. Scroll down to page 20 where results for each division within Microsoft is available. What do you know? 68 million loss for this quarter alone for the division responsible for gaming.

Overall, most years with the Xbox program, Microsoft has had losses in the billions for the division responsible for gaming. Profits don't exist. For every dollar of profit Microsoft has made in this division in a few scattered quarters, they've made dozens of dollars in losses in 90% of the other quarters.

It is not profitable. Stop pulling numbers out of thin air, show us where your coming up with your claims. I've shown you a start to how you can actually investigate Microsoft's financial performance since the original Xbox has came out. There's no fiction here unlike with your post, and it isn't magic. It's actually a way you can find out how they did, rather than how you wished they did and claiming everyone else is wrong because it just can't be and you said so.

As for the cube....Yeah, I hear people using their Wii's to play Gamecube, but I wonder what games (or features) don't work? I mean, I've never heard of a 100% backwards compatible system (of course, for most people, 99% is close enough)

I suppose anything that used the expansion ports, obviously the GBP doesn't work, that probably excludes the modem thing too, though the Wii has one built in, if it's wired right it should be use able witht he two games that used it :P

But still, the early Cube's have HD support while the later ones (and supposdly the wii) do not.

No GameCubes have HD support. They could output games in 480p, known as EDTV. Late in the life of the GameCube, Nintendo eliminated the jack for component which is needed to output 480p due to the rarity of the component cable and Nintendo's belief that anyone that wanted the best video quality likely already owned a GameCube and component cable. All Nintendo Wii's can output 480p for GameCube and Wii software that are progressive scan. And component cables for the Wii are now just a cable, unlike in the GameCube's case where some of the hardware needed for progressive scan was actually contained within the cable. This means cables are readily available everywhere (The GCN cable was only available from importers and Nintendo's online store).

The Wii is fully compatible with the GameCube. The Phantasy Star games can't connect to the internet even if their servers were still up (Which they aren't) since it isn't smart enough to recognize the Wii's internet connection, and Game Boy Players can't be hooked up. And they also broke compatibility with a cheat device (Action Replay?) through a firmware update. Otherwise, all GameCube software remains fully compatible with the Wii, helped by the Wii's hardware basically contained the same hardware as a GameCube (Although souped up and improved a fair bit).

Edited by Atariboy

No GameCubes have HD support. They could output games in 480p, known as EDTV. Late in the life of the GameCube, Nintendo eliminated the jack for component which is needed to output 480p due to the rarity of the component cable and Nintendo's belief that anyone that wanted the best video quality likely already owned a GameCube and component cable. All Nintendo Wii's can output 480p for GameCube and Wii software that are progressive scan. And component cables for the Wii are now just a cable, unlike in the GameCube's case where some of the hardware needed for progressive scan was actually contained within the cable. This means cables are readily available everywhere (The GCN cable was only available from importers and Nintendo's online store).

Yup. You can find component cables for the wii for ~$5. And 480p("Enhanced Definition") still looks much nicer than SDTV :) You're right, though, it is by definition not "HD" or "high definition". It is very often(mistakenly) referred to as high definition, though, so it's to the point where it doesn't really bother me.

I need to pick up some cube games to play on my Wii. They're pretty cheap and there was a lot of good games out for it. My parents have a gamecube so I can always borrow their games too, but they don't have that many. And I think we can all agree(as we're on Atariage) that graphics are not what makes a game, so gamecube graphics are plenty good for me.

Me too, I don't mind at all. So please no one mistake my comment about the Wii's hardware being an enhanced GameCube as being negative.

While I'd love to play things like Super Mario Galaxy in hd, I think the games themselves still look great.

Edit - I forgot to add with a earlier post that obviousily because the Phantasy Star games can't utilize the Wii's internet connection, that LAN capabilities in the few GameCube titles that included the option, which also relied on the GameCube's broadband adapter, similarly don't work on the Wii.

Edited by Atariboy

I jsut don't remember what else there really was, most everything else worked through the memory or controller port.

To answer your questions...

100% of GameCube games run on the Wii, but online features and LAN features don't work.

That affects the following games only, which can still be played offline:

- No online play: Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II

- No online play: Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus

- No online play: Phantasy Star Online Episode III

- No LAN play: 1080 Avalanche

- No LAN play: Mario Kart Double Dash

- No LAN play: Kirby AirRide

All peripherals that plug into the GameCube controller ports or memory card ports work. That includes the GBA linkup cable, dance mats, microphones, etc. (believe me...I have them all).

With respect to HD, the previous post is correct that "HD" is not supported, but 480p (progressive scan or EDTV) is supported on both the 1st generation GameCubes and the Wii. The GameCubes with 480p support have an extra port on the back called the Digital A/V port. These are the GameCube's with Nintendo part number DOL-100 (in the USA at least), and the later GameCubes that only support 480i are Nintendo part number DOL-101.

In order to achieve 480p on either the GameCube or Wii, you must purchase a progressive scan cable. For the GameCube, these are getting more and more rare every year and cost upwards of $50+ now. However, they are worth every penny....the difference in the output for the games that support 480p is very noticeable.

In all honesty, there are three reasons to still play games on a GameCube if you own a Wii:

1. Online play if you like Phantasy Star Online

2. LAN play if you have multiple GameCubes

3. Big screen GameBoy and GameBoy Advance play through the GameBoy Player.

If none of those reasons appeal to you, then you might as well pack up your GameCube and just play the games through your Wii.

I know I said I was done, and I am done arguing the points all around, but in re-reading I noticed this gross lie and couldn't let it stand. I quoted (right here in the thread) the part where Forbes specifically stated the $4 billion. Look through the article. Or look directly at the part I quoted. Saying the number I have been saying that is written out quite clearly in Forbes in that link, is not there right in the article where it is, is a total lie. Sorry, but I can't be called a liar and let it pass, especially when it is so clear with even a two second investment of time that I am not.

Edited by Atarifever

• 2 weeks later...

Why oh why didn't you bag the Dreamcast? If there's any modern console more under-appreciated than the Gamecube, that's it. They're also a fair bit harder to find (but, truth be told, both are pretty easy).

I've had a Gamecube for 3 years, and I'm still slowly building up my list of A-list games for it. I have a Wii now, which largely supplants the cube, but I keep it plugged in for the Game Boy Player I got a few months back. So for the forseeable future, my Gamecube will remain out of retirement.

My game list

F-Zero GX

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Lost this one to a friend, I still prefer it over the Wii version)

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Star Wars: Rogue Leader

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Star Fox: Assault

Namco Museum (Random Much?)

Soul Calibur II

Super Smash Bros. Melee (duh)

Killer 7

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (!)

Viewtiful Joe 2

Animal Crossing

I love my Gamecube. It is my second favorite system. I was and bummed out that Nintendo did not support this system for very long and thus not as many great games as their could have been were created. I spend at least 10 hours a month playing and replaying Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Dragons Lair (have yet to finish this game).... etc. And by the way my favorite system (of course) is my 2600.

Sorry to go off topic a bit ;)

Been playing my GameCube a lot lately...it's especially nice since I can play it in my bedroom now, instead of waiting for the livingroom to be vacant so I can play the Wii.

I snagged Twilight Princess for $10, so I finally got around to playing that...not a bad game at all. We have the Wii version as well, but I'm pretty sure that's a recipe for carpal tunnel @_@ Plus, the whole game being mirrored just kind of...irks me for some reason.

Finished Luigi's Mansion...that was a cool little game, with emphasis on the word "little"...but it's kind of refreshing in these days of 20+ hour epics. I'm kind of disappointed that the secret mansion isn't really different from the regular one, though.

Still slowly trying to beat Super Mario Sunshine. It's a good game, it's just so frustrating sometimes.

Don't have very many other games for it...already beat the Primes (the reason I wanted a Cube) and Wind Waker. I'd like to get some of the Resident Evil games I missed out on (Zero and the remake), but I can't imagine them being very fun to control with a Cube pad, so maybe I'll wait for the Wii versions and pick up a Classic Controller (or pick up one of those adapters coming out that let you use SNES, N64, and Classic in a Cube port). Still need to get around to playing Paper Mario 2.

I never got around to buying a Gamecube. I would play a friends' houses that had one, but that's about it. That was one of my main reasons for buying a Wii. I wanted to catch up on the Gamecube games that I had missed. Though... that's still a work in progress since I don't get around to playing the Wii that much, but at least the option is there :)

I might end up buying one eventually. Just for collectors sake, and also so I can get a GBA player. I used the love the GB adapter for the N64. I'd imagine the player for Gamecube/GBA is just as much fun.

I still keep my Gamecube in service for some of the reasons mentioned; Gameboy Player primarily.

I also got (somewhat) lucky and scored some Monster brand S-video cables for about $6 each. It doesn't help the N64 terribly, but things look nice on the cube and I really can't justify the crazy cash outlay for a component video cable. I was happy with my Wii's graphics under composite for quite some time. I found a Nintendo brand component cable at TRU one day for under $10 and grabbed a set. Monoprice has affordable component cables for the PS2 available also. HDMI is nice, but I don't think I'm missing out on a ton v/s my 'Cube and S-Video.

The other reason is more a personal neurosis than anything else -- that's wear and tear on a unit. I try to take good care of my stuff, and other than dust, I do a respectable job of it. My theory is that a system has X amount of life in it. You can obviously shorten it by operating the device in hostile environmental conditions. I have a Gamecube that costs less than $50 to replace v/s a Wii that costs about $250 to replace. In this context, I'll play Gamecube games on the Cube.

Side note: played Samurai Jack last night, a hair past the halfway point in the game. I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Hex.

[ Knows he's playing another 3D platformer / beat-em-up... It's still fun. ]

I finally hooked up my GC in the other room and got around to using that Component cable. True the TV doesn't support 480p, but it does have component input jacks. I think it makes the colors look a bit brighter though.

Tempest

I hate to ask, but what is 480p and what is the signifigance? I have a 52" Samsung LCD 1080 w/ 120 hrtz(?) and all my G.C games play great. Am I missing something?

Edited by ericwierson

I finally hooked up my GC in the other room and got around to using that Component cable. True the TV doesn't support 480p, but it does have component input jacks. I think it makes the colors look a bit brighter though.

Tempest

Why aren't you playing on your giant Sony? Not enough room? I'm sure it would look awesome on that tube! :lust: ;)

Tempest

Why aren't you playing on your giant Sony? Not enough room? I'm sure it would look awesome on that tube! :lust: ;)

Because the Wii is hooked up to it. :)

Tempest

I'm a bit late to the discussion but I have about 5 cubes. It's a great console with lots of good first party games and it's especially good for the younger crowd. Although the small disc size is a bit of a drawback with regards to the amount of data it can hold, it's also a plus because the cube can boot games much quicker than xbox/ps2.

I have a lot of consoles (n64, ps1, ps2, xbox, cube, wii, dreamcast, saturn) but the cube is still very special to me. The xbox is probably my second favorite because of its modability (I love XBMC and being able to put my games on it since the DVD drive is crap).

The wavebird is a great controller. Very comfortable. Battery life is great. I have about 10 controllers.

As someone else mentioned, there were 700 games released on the console. It's a pretty good number considering that the SNES (one of the greatest consoles of all time) had about 800.

It's a great system and it's too bad that there's not a lot of love for it but that does not bother me.

Oops, haven't been checking on my own topic, so I thought I'd pop in to see. Great to see that others still have Gamecubes and are enjoying them. I haven't been able to pick up any games for it lately, but the ones I do have have been getting a workout, like Animal Crossing. That game never seems to get old to me. Lots to do everyday, as long as you keep your play sessions light. I typically play for about an hour, depending on what I want to do in town.

My next game to get is Wind Waker, then possibly Twilight Princess. TP at my local Gamestop is around $30.00 or so, and I'm not really willing to pay that at the moment. I'd also like to find another copy of Tales of Symphonia. However, the ones they have at Gamestop have their box art and typically no instructions, so I'll wait until an original copy comes in with instructions. I usually won't buy GC games without their original paperwork.

-Steve