IGNORED

The Nintendo Gamecube: Do you have one and play it?

People keep saying how much money microsoft lost on the X-box, but they keep failing to factor in how many games sold for the thing to offset that, yeah, the system lost money, the games made more money. Can't say the same for the Gamecube, the system made money, but the games didn't make so much money.

Last generation saw a crapload of meto titles for all systems, but X-box seemed to have a much larger lineup of (not dull looking) unique games for it. People keep mentioning Gamecube's 700 or so library of games (only slightly less than X-box) but when it comes down to it, what were they? 500 or so of the shovelware titles that are currently plagueing the Wii and DS this generation.

For that matter, will people continue ignoring the games, and tout the Wii as some sort of huge success next generation? (probably, though when you look at it, there's what? 3 Million sellers on the Wii? a record low perhaps?) but people will ignore the games and continue on how many consoles sold

Personally, I can already see the overall disgust in the wii that average people seem to show in general "yeah, it's fun, but the controll sux after awhile" "the system is awesome, that's why the only game I own is the packin" etc. 500 crap titles and shovelware, all selling fairly low numbers, I don't really see it as a huge success, though people will remember it as a huge success cause of how hard (and in demand) the system itself was, well, still is.

Personally, if I was a game company, I'd give the system away for free, and ride on the profits that matter... game sales.

p/s the original Xbox had a lot of life left, I think MS pulled the plug on it too quick.

I'll agree with that, In many ways, the X-box could have (and should have) been the last gen systemstill selling on shelves, but that just goes to show how much of a strangle hold SONY had on the market last gen.

Come to think of it, didn't the X-box actually start to turn a profit (hardware wise) the last year it was in production? And that at $130....

People keep saying how much money microsoft lost on the X-box, but they keep failing to factor in how many games sold for the thing to offset that, yeah, the system lost money, the games made more money. Can't say the same for the Gamecube, the system made money, but the games didn't make so much money.

Come to think of it, didn't the X-box actually start to turn a profit (hardware wise) the last year it was in production? And that at $130....

They're not talking about Microsoft selling the console at a loss and making that up in things like XBL subscriptions, game sales, and accessory sales. Their entire Xbox program lost millions (And continues to with its successor) and overall has yet to earn the company a dime in profits when you subtract cost from revenue.

It's had a couple of profitable quarters where the program wasn't in the red when just examining that quarter (When Halo 2 was released was the first quarter the program actually was profitable, and I believe it happened during 1 quarter with the 360). But overall, neither program has earned Microsoft a dime.

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah, but your still excluding the games. Microsoft can say what they want to, I know what's in the system and how much it's actually worth (retail) and while the system does cost a little more than they sell the bottom tier one for, it's not like their loosing a thousand a pop (or even a hundred a pop) as peopleseem to think. Sell a half dozen games (most of which, Microsoft does notmake by the way) and you got a pretty good profit there.

But like I said, people will blindly look at system sales ONLY and ignore the big picture. As evident of the last console that apparently lost over $200 per console sold :P Yeah, maybe in hardware.....but anyhow

Edited by Video

I'm talking about their end of quarter and yearly financial reports in their annual reports showing the Xbox division's financials (The entire program, including game sales), not how much money they're making or losing per console. The Xbox division has never been in the black, they've consistently lost significant money with the program. They've only had a couple of profitable quarters, and have never came close even when they did turn a profit for a quarter in recouping things like R&D cost.

And its safe to say the Xbox 360 will never be profitable thanks to the many millions RROD support has cost them.

I hope the Xbox 720 finally makes them a profit. Both Xbox's have been my favorite system the past two generations and I'd like to see them finally start recouping something from their investment rather than just hundreds of millions in losses from it.

Edit - Maybe they're turning things around. Looks like the division responsible for gaming made 426 million last year after losing nearly 2 billion in 2007 and 1.3 billion in 2006. Looks like they're losing money this year so far though. No where close to recoupting the billions in losses on the program since the birth of the Xbox though. They've spent many billions just to have a couple of profitable quarters where they showed a few million in profits.

And they don't release financial information just showing the financial results of console sales. They only release information for the entire business segment responsible for gaming. Things like game sales are obviousily included in it.

Edited by Atariboy

Despite the sales and whatnot for the Gamecube, it's good to see that several people around here still have theirs and play them on a regular basis. I just went a little crazy this past weekend and bought a few titles: Metroid Prime, Prime 2: Echoes, Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure, and Paper Mario (this is my personal favorite). The games were no more than $20.00 each, but Metroid Prime was only $7.00. FINALLY got both games together, so I'm happy with the whole thing so far. I plan on picking up many more titles down the road (Animal Crossing is on it's way..that game just really appeals to my "cute" gene or something), so I'm overly happy.

My poor Atari 2600 is a little neglected lately, but one thing I've learned over the years is DO NOT part with a game system. My mistake in the past was getting rid of my game systems. Now I'm collecting them all over again. I'm more pleased now than I was before with the Gamecube, so overall it was a good thing to find one again and start buying all the titles I enjoyed the first time around.

-Steve

My GameCube sits ready on the shelf, mounted atop the GameBoy Player, ready for action. Didja know that this set-up will play all Zelda games from the first all the way to Twilight Princess? This includes all GameBoy incarnations! It's the ultimate Zelda set-up (if you're into it, of course). I love it! Just wish I would've snagged the GC version of Twilight Princess...

Haven't fired it up in a while, though. I still need to beat Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I've been procrastinating on that one for a long time now. I'm so close to the end but I have to back-track to collect temple keys or some such things.

I used to have a Gamecube, but sold it along with my XBOX back in late '04 before the newer systems came out(glad I kept my favorite games and wavebird controller). I use the Wii now for GC games, and though it got a bad rep, I still love playing the games. I remember playing the Rogue Squadron demo in Toys R' Us and knowing about SSBM which made me decide to get it over the XBOX. I still have the small demo disc that showed some of the titles (launch titles like SSBM, Rogue Squadron, Wave Race Blue Storm) and Starfox Adventures.

I forgot to mention that though it was the smallest, it was one durable little system.

(in spanish, but you can still follow the video) and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3mIpThXiGk (it's X-play, so not exactly that well done) Edited by SEgamer

My GameCube sits ready on the shelf, mounted atop the GameBoy Player, ready for action. Didja know that this set-up will play all Zelda games from the first all the way to Twilight Princess? This includes all GameBoy incarnations! It's the ultimate Zelda set-up (if you're into it, of course). I love it! Just wish I would've snagged the GC version of Twilight Princess...

Haven't fired it up in a while, though. I still need to beat Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I've been procrastinating on that one for a long time now. I'm so close to the end but I have to back-track to collect temple keys or some such things.

Metroid Prime 2 is harder than I thought it was going to be, so I'm a little discouraged. I had to go back to Prime and practice (and beat this game) before tackling Prime 2. I am pretty rusty on the "lock and shoot and dodge" thing that's famous in Prime. I read reviews (after I bought the game) that most thought it was too hard, but if you're a Prime veteran, you might be challenged, but not to the point of frustration.

That does sound like a great set up for the Zelda series. I think I should find myself a Gameboy Player and pursue collecting all the Zelda titles. I also want Twilight Princess, but it's the most expensive of the set. I'll get the other Zelda titles first before going after this one.

-Steve

I found myself thinking about getting a second GC lately. I noticed EBgames is selling them used for 25 bucks...

Always helps to have a backup. :)

Don't forget that some GameCube games support LAN play as well if you have the Broadband adaptors for them, such as Mario Kart DD and Kirby AirRide.

Yeah, but your still excluding the games. Microsoft can say what they want to, I know what's in the system and how much it's actually worth (retail) and while the system does cost a little more than they sell the bottom tier one for, it's not like their loosing a thousand a pop (or even a hundred a pop) as peopleseem to think. Sell a half dozen games (most of which, Microsoft does notmake by the way) and you got a pretty good profit there.

But like I said, people will blindly look at system sales ONLY and ignore the big picture. As evident of the last console that apparently lost over $200 per console sold :P Yeah, maybe in hardware.....but anyhow

It lost four billion overall. Not on consoles. Overall. This is not something made up. Subscribe to a Microsoft ticker feed and see how long it is until that number is quoted by someone covering investing in order to explain why the 360 is doing so incredibly well.

Here's how it works, just so you're clear. You can either make money from day one on console sales, or you can lose money and try to make it up with game sales.

In the first instance all you have to do is sell some systems. Nintendo always does this, because that's what everyone used to do, and they're still living by the business model that Atari, Sega, etc tried for. Then, any games you sell is just gravy (in Nintendo's case, where most of the million sellers on their system are first party, there's a lot of gravy, no matter how small a percentage of the overall market they are).

In the other model, you have to sell enough systems so that things like licencing fees and software sales make the money up. The original Xbox did not sell many systems really. It sold a couple million more than the GC (sold at a profit) to sit with one fifth the market share of first place. Also, to make it to even there, Microsoft spent a ton of money on advertising, buying the odd exclusive, getting companies to make games for their system too, and buying up studios so it could have some first party games. All over four short years, where they barely reached profitability in only one quarter.

Sony made a ton of money on the PS2 by selling at a loss early and making it back by selling large numbers of games to 100 million users. They also already had their own studio making tons of great games like God of War that made them buttloads of money as they were the game developer. They also had all kinds of properties they likely didn't have to pay licences for because they were Sony, the licence holder.

Thus, while Microsoft was buying studios, assembling all new talent, laying out huge amounts of cash for shelf space and advertising, and losing the most on any console that generation, Nintendo was making profit from day one, and Sony was selling millions and millions and millions of games on their mega hit system.

It's no surprise Microsoft lost money on the venture, as they never intended to make anything that generation. They wanted mindshare more than marketshare, and they got it. Cost them $4 billion in red ink, but that was all according to plan. No need for you to be an apologist for their business plan going exactly how they wanted, and certainly no reason for you to ignore the facts that their shareholders have happily acknowledged all along.

By the way, before you ask me to find a link for support (really easy to do considering how well known the number is) here's a link from Forbes in 2005.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/09/12/microsoft...3microsoft.html

The Xbox game console is hot, but its division has lost $4 billion in four years and isn't yet in the black. The mobile-software division, also losing money, has just a sliver of the market for cell phone handsets. Microsoft Business Solutions, after acquiring Great Plains Software for $1.1 billion and Navision for $1.4 billion, is supposed to deliver $10 billion in sales by 2010. At its current 6% growth rate, MBS will attain that goal in 43 years.

See that word up there: division. Not "the console" but "the division." The division as a whole lost $4 billion. To lose $4 billion implies not making back the $4 billion. That's how a loss works.

Edited by Atarifever

You are aware that their "Games" (including X-box games) division, is a separate part from their "console" division though, right? This seems to be what everybody is confused at. These are all different parts of Microsoft, not different parts of X-box (it's also why so many Microsoft X-box games end up on the PC, their both part of the games division)

I don't know where people are getting the 4 billion from either, maybe that's microsoft now, and wiht all the repairs on the 360, that's actually a pretty sizable miracle since I seem to remember the "rumor" being closer to 8 billion about 5 years ago...same problem though, I know what's in the system hardware wise, take 8billion, or 4, or whatever and devide by 22 million, what do you get? $800? $400? The FACTS are there. Microsoft may be fanagiling some shit around (great for tax wrightofffs, just don't get caught, microsoft just happens to be big enough to bury it wherever they want to and will probably be fine), but they did not, have not, and C A N not loose that kind ofmoney on the console. The MATH is simply not possible. Sellinga $1200 console for $400? Please, grow a brain.

I don't know, maybe the console wasn't the money looser, maybe it's the games, I guess Halo could have cost them on the lines of say $5billion to make :P

Or, maybe people are failing to factor in all that Microsoft BOUGHT? Could be, though I don't call it "loosing money" when your spending it for future profits, all business do that.

So, whatever, people want to live in the dark, heh, that's cool, it's not like it matters to me one way or the other, the worlds still going to turn and there's not much ignorant people can do about it. Just thank god that the church no longer runs the world, or we could be in some real trouble :P

Edited by Video

You are aware that their "Games" (including X-box games) division, is a separate part from their "console" division though, right? This seems to be what everybody is confused at. These are all different parts of Microsoft, not different parts of X-box (it's also why so many Microsoft X-box games end up on the PC, their both part of the games division)

I don't know where people are getting the 4 billion from either, maybe that's microsoft now, and wiht all the repairs on the 360, that's actually a pretty sizable miracle since I seem to remember the "rumor" being closer to 8 billion about 5 years ago...same problem though, I know what's in the system hardware wise, take 8billion, or 4, or whatever and devide by 22 million, what do you get? $800? $400? The FACTS are there. Microsoft may be fanagiling some shit around (great for tax wrightofffs, just don't get caught, microsoft just happens to be big enough to bury it wherever they want to and will probably be fine), but they did not, have not, and C A N not loose that kind ofmoney on the console. The MATH is simply not possible. Sellinga $1200 console for $400? Please, grow a brain.

So, whatever, people want to live in the dark, heh, that's cool, it's not like it matters to me one way or the other, the worlds still going to turn and there's not much ignorant people can do about it. Just thank god that the church no longer runs the world, or we could be in some real trouble :P

I'm sorry, but its clear you didn't do any research on this at all and just want it to be so because your a fan and want your console to be a clear success. I'm a fan too, but that's no reason to ignore facts and not do any research. As far as the business success of the Xbox has gone (You know, fulfilling their obligation to their shareholders (Owners) by making a profit), its been a miserable failure. We can only hope its just temporary and now that they're well established, they can have a resounding financial success with the 360's successor so the owners of Microsoft can start seeing some returns from their so far money losing proposition (And ensure that we continue to see consoles from Microsoft).

You can spend all day arguing that 2+2 equals 5, but at the end of the day that is never going to be true. Instead of being in the black and just stating how you'd like things to be, actually go out there and do a little bit of research, the information you need is all there at Microsoft's website. And stop being so shallow with your examination. You seem to think the key to having a successful console is making more money through console sales than it cost you to construct the console itself. Your ignoring everything from massive research and development cost to investments in PP&E to support the division and manufacture the systems to things like securing exclusive games for the platform.

Go to Microsoft's investor relations section of the site and do some reading of things like 10K's and annual reports, and you'd quickly see that there is just one division responsible for gaming and the finances reported are for that division. And for the losses, check out things like balance sheets for specific years to actually get some numbers instead of pulling them out of thin air. They've lost billions and have only been able to make a few million during a few specific quarters. You seem to think these losses are just rumors. Microsoft is a publically traded corporation, the numbers are in black and white and readily available online for you to examine yourself.

Edited by Atariboy

I don't know, maybe the console wasn't the money looser, maybe it's the games, I guess Halo could have cost them on the lines of say $5billion to make :P

Or, maybe people are failing to factor in all that Microsoft BOUGHT? Could be, though I don't call it "loosing money" when your spending it for future profits, all business do that.

This is not even an argument. This is you wishing in public. Might be fun for you, but there isn't even half a relevant point in anything you said.

You're right. Forbes decided to write an article in 2005 about losses from 2009. Also, Microsoft (a publically traded company) decided to get some write offs by claiming they lost $4 billion when in fact they made billions. Nothing illegal about that. Oh wait, everything's illegal about that. It's the perfect crime though. No one (except for everyone) could possibly figure it out using their publically available information. It's pretty easy to hide though. I mean, one of the most closely watched companies in the world can easily make billions (let's say hypothetically $2 billion), insist they lost $4 billion and have no one notice. Because combined that's only a $6 billion difference. What's $6 billion between friends?

But you're likely right. We're the ignorant ones. Us with our facts, figures, and logic. When are we going to realize that real intelligence is displayed by assuming a huge company hid $6 billion in profits it couldn't possibly have made, all the while making its investors swallow a story that it had actually lost their money on them, so they could perpetuate the most easily traceable case of tax fraud in the history of the planet. In a public company making your company look like it lost investor money at the risk of having your share prices drop a ton is easily made up for with potential small savings of a tax write off. And hey, the perpetrators won't have to worry about share prices anyway, because with that preposterously large amount of easily traceable money on the books, they'll be in jail by the time the company crashes.

I'd understand if you were arguing they were somehow hiding losses with a massive media attacking ENRON style cover-up. At least there's incentive there. But the idea that they are making up $4 billion in losses to hide $2 billion+ in profits is so absurd it could potentially break through space time to undo the enlightenment.

Edited by Atarifever

So yeah, Game Cube...

I had a long gap in gaming, and it wasn't until a buddy got me a Dreamcast when they were $50 that I realized how slick and innovative some new games were. When the Cube was new, I was writing for an online magazine and Nintendo was trying very hard to get attention for the Cube so they gave me a nice silver one (back when that was a special color). I found a lot of innovative games, which was what got me to care about Nintendo at all. I'd had NES & such in my thrifted gaming collection, but never really understood those things that make Nintendo interesting as a company.

The Cube is in my arcade cabinet now (along with a matching silver GB Player from Japan). I've also found a number of them at the thrift for a few bucks (all black for some reason), so those are the units I've put those vinyl skins onto. The one that kind of resembles an NES is esepcially nice! These days most of the Cube games that we're still trying to finish are playing via the Wii, but I still drag the Cubes places, and occasionally bust out some of my faves on the arcade cab. I also think that it was the most aesthetically pleasing of the last batch of consoles. Makes me nuts that you can't stack anything on top of the huge Xbox... ;)

BTW does anyone know how to boot a GBP without the disc? I have a special import disc that's supposed to boot the Japanese GBP that doesn't seem to work, and also several of my thrifted consoles didn't include the boot disc. Any ideas?

I found myself thinking about getting a second GC lately. I noticed EBgames is selling them used for 25 bucks...

Always helps to have a backup. :)

Don't forget that some GameCube games support LAN play as well if you have the Broadband adaptors for them, such as Mario Kart DD and Kirby AirRide.

I'd have to double check to see if what I have is the modem or broadband adaptor. ;) I probably have both tho. :)

I plugged it into the appropriate expansion port, slapped the gameboy player on after it and it's been that way ever since. I was planning on having 4 wavebirds but noticed after I had the second one the trend was to force players to use GBAs as controllers in multiplay wherever possible. :ponder:

So I need one more GBA at some point. :D

I'd have to double check to see if what I have is the modem or broadband adaptor. ;) I probably have both tho. :)

I plugged it into the appropriate expansion port, slapped the gameboy player on after it and it's been that way ever since. I was planning on having 4 wavebirds but noticed after I had the second one the trend was to force players to use GBAs as controllers in multiplay wherever possible. :ponder:

So I need one more GBA at some point. :D

Don't forget that a GameCube can also act as the GBA controller as well if it is equipped with the GameBoy Player.

For example, imagine yourself playing Zelda Wind Waker and you have a second person playing Tingle. With a 2nd GameCube and a second TV, the Tingle part can be played on the second TV screen (with a Wavebird if you wanted).

Also, there's still the three Phantasy Star Online games that cannot be played on the Wii in online mode. Yea...I know... you have to use 3rd party servers now that Sega shut the PSO servers down, but if you are a PSO person (like myself) you still have to play online wiht the GameCube.

Another feature I enjoy is the connectivity of the Gameboy Advance cable. I use this mostly for Animal Crossing to visit the island, so that feature makes the Gamecube that much more enjoyable in my eyes. The little things of a console appeal to me, so the Gamecube (with it's compact square design) is unique. Another things I love is the controller. I never really got into the N64 controller, but the Gamecube controller seemed so much tighter and responsive. I thought the N64 controller was a little too large, but the GC controller was "just right".

I know it's not a Wii and the GC games play on the Wii, but I've really had no interest in obtaining a Wii. I promised myself I wouldn't go any further than the Gamecube for game consoles. So far, so good. I kind of got disillusioned with the new systems anyway, and found that my gaming habits needed to be toned down for the duration. I just can't afford systems that cost over $200.00 and games that cost $60.00 each.

-Steve

BTW does anyone know how to boot a GBP without the disc? I have a special import disc that's supposed to boot the Japanese GBP that doesn't seem to work, and also several of my thrifted consoles didn't include the boot disc. Any ideas?

You can't boot games up without the disc. The Game Boy Player isn't region locked or region specific. Just buy the Game Boy Player disc from Nintendo.com and it will work correctly in your Japanese Game Boy Player (Assuming your GameCube isn't also a import, the disc is region locked).

Wow, its $15 at their store. I figured it would be priced more reasonable like many of their replacement parts.

GameStop was blowing out Game Boy Players for under $10 recently, you might have better luck calling around and seeing if anywhere has one left in stock locally and get the disc with a spare GBP that way.