IGNORED

Action! Hack to Default Drive H: question

atx4us

Hello Everyone,

The OSS Action! language defaults to D: for file read/write operations. Can anyone please tell me how to make a simple hack to change this default to H:?

Thanks

You don't. You change the settings of the emulator to patch D: instead. (-;

Greetings,

Thomas

Hello Everyone,

The OSS Action! language defaults to D: for file read/write operations. Can anyone please tell me how to make a simple hack to change this default to H:?

Thanks

Greetings,

Thomas

Alright, Can you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks,

Hayden

• 3 weeks later...
Do you ask this because you are using an external editor? (like notepad++)

I am using the built-in Action! editor. So, I'm looking for a hack of the Action! ROM file to default to the H: drive instead of the D: drive.

Ok. I thought you weren't using the built-in editor because for that reason you can have all your files into an ATR without any problem at all.

On the other hand editing outside the emulator and later inserting the files into an ATR to finally compiled with the Action! monitor, that's a boring task which could be automatize.

Do you ask this because you are using an external editor? (like notepad++)

I am using the built-in Action! editor. So, I'm looking for a hack of the Action! ROM file to default to the H: drive instead of the D: drive.

Ok. I thought you weren't using the built-in editor because for that reason you can have all your files into an ATR without any problem at all.

On the other hand editing outside the emulator and later inserting the files into an ATR to finally compiled with the Action! monitor, that's a boring task which could be automatize.

No, not at all! I use the H: drive w/Atari800Win PLus 4.0 all throughout the development process. When I finally compiled the object code and again, write it to the H:, then I use the excellent AtrUtil95 to convert it to an .atr file. The process is very efficient because I can have multiple copies of A8WP's open at the same time which saves me from having to redundantly open and close various libary files before I can work on the next file. The H: drive is very quick compared to the old floppy drives. When I compile, I enable the "Run Atari as fast possible" option and things really fly!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

Greetings,

Thomas

Thanks,

Hayden

In the "Os" menu, select "InstallHAsDisk". Voila. Of course, using the "proper" emulator. (-;

So long,

Thomas

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

Greetings,

Thomas

Thanks,

Hayden

In the "Os" menu, select "InstallHAsDisk". Voila. Of course, using the "proper" emulator. (-;

So long,

Thomas

Thomas,

I love your Atari++ emulator! I'm definitely impressed. Unfortunately, some of the CTRL+SHIFT+Key combinations that Action! uses do not work properly with Atari++. Also, as far as I know, there's no maximum speed enable to let the Action! compiles fly. I don't recall Joystick emulation, either. I would love to see keyboard & color palette configs, max speed enable, and joystick emu on Atari++. Thanks for the tip above.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

Could you send here the cart image you want to hack?

F.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

F.

Here is the .car file.

Action_.zip

Thomas,

I love your Atari++ emulator! I'm definitely impressed. Unfortunately, some of the CTRL+SHIFT+Key combinations that Action! uses do not work properly with Atari++. Also, as far as I know, there's no maximum speed enable to let the Action! compiles fly. I don't recall Joystick emulation, either. I would love to see keyboard & color palette configs, max speed enable, and joystick emu on Atari++. Thanks for the tip above.

I cannot reproduce the former here. I just did a loop on PEEK(764) in BASIC and it returned all key codes correctly, even with Shift+Ctrl. To run the code in full speed, look into the full menu, under the item called "Speed" (Do'h!) and click on "UnlockRate". (-: You'll then have full control to the frame rate. Joystick emulation is available in several flavours, including using the keyboard for the joystick, a true analog joystick, the mouse or an Atari joystick using an adaptor that is described in the documentation. Joystick configuration is found in the full menu under - "Joystick" - what a surprise (-; You find the full menu in the window menu under "Full Menu", or by pressing F1. You can configure the Palette by going to the Full menu, and to the configuration of the GTIA chip (which is responsible for the creation of the colors), there, go to "ColorMapName", and enter the file name of the palette, or use the gadget to the right of it and use the file browser to locate it.

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas,

I cannot reproduce the former here. I just did a loop on PEEK(764) in BASIC and it returned all key codes correctly, even with Shift+Ctrl. To run the code in full speed, look into the full menu, under the item called "Speed" (Do'h!) and click on "UnlockRate". (-: You'll then have full control to the frame rate. Joystick emulation is available in several flavours, including using the keyboard for the joystick, a true analog joystick, the mouse or an Atari joystick using an adaptor that is described in the documentation. Joystick configuration is found in the full menu under - "Joystick" - what a surprise (-; You find the full menu in the window menu under "Full Menu", or by pressing F1. You can configure the Palette by going to the Full menu, and to the configuration of the GTIA chip (which is responsible for the creation of the colors), there, go to "ColorMapName", and enter the file name of the palette, or use the gadget to the right of it and use the file browser to locate it.

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas,

Thank you for all the helpful hints above. The best part here, really, is actually getting help from the author of the program :) I will let you know what key combinations that aren't working and may be you can help me there, too.

Thanks,

Hayden

Thomas,

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas,

Here are the Action! key combinations that aren't working in Atari++:

CTRL+SHIFT+< - Goto beginning of the line

CTRL+SHIFT+> - Goto end of the line

CTRL+SHIFT+Backspace - Combine adjacent lines to a single line

CTRL+SHIFT+1 - Move to 1st Window

CTRL+SHIFT+2 - Create 2nd Text Window

Thanks,

Hayden

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

F.

Here is the .car file.

OK. Try this one...

F.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

F.

Here is the .car file.

OK. Try this one...

F.

Cool! The H: drive hack worked with Atari++. I tried it with A8WP and got a file checksum error. Anyway you can fix this also?

Thanks,

Hayden

Just a shot in the dark here (my Atari++ is playing up and not working properly, so can't test ATM).

I suspect that Atari++ doesn't handle SHIFT properly, so far as replicating its status into SKSTAT ($D20F). Although it sounds the dumb way of doing things, maybe Action uses an SKSTAT test as part of it's Hotkey routine.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

F.

Here is the .car file.

OK. Try this one...

F.

Cool! The H: drive hack worked with Atari++. I tried it with A8WP and got a file checksum error. Anyway you can fix this also?

Thanks,

Hayden

Loading and saving files work fine for me under Atari800WinPLus 4.0 emulator...

F.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

F.

Here is the .car file.

OK. Try this one...

F.

Thanks,

Hayden

F.

Did you mean that you got the .car file to load without checksum error? I also tried Atari800 emu and it gave me the same checksum error.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

F.

Here is the .car file.

OK. Try this one...

F.

Thanks,

Hayden

F.

Did you mean that you got the .car file to load without checksum error? I also tried Atari800 emu and it gave me the same checksum error.

Check the attachment for version with fixed checksum.

F.

Action__hack.zip

Hello Everyone,

Thanks

F.

Here is the .car file.

OK. Try this one...

F.

Thanks,

Hayden

F.

Check the attachment for version with fixed checksum.

F.

It works perfectly. Thanks for all of your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Does this patch work for compilation? (It didn't work for me).

No, the patch was only intended for ®ead & (W)rite file commands. You'll still need to explicitly state the Drive: for file compiles. Basically, the patch worked for wherever there was a default drive assigned before. I don't believe that the ©ompile command had a default drive designation.