IGNORED

5200 Controller failure/breakage.

etschuetz

Okay, so everyone complains that the 5200 controllers break to easy. However, as I read through the threads, it really doesn't ever seem to be the actual joystick, but something in relation to the flex circuit, i.e. buttons failing. I have about 5 controllers, 2 of which work just fine, and the others are around for parts, or such. All of them, the analog control works fine.

I have torn apart all of my controllers to gather parts to make two working controllers. Whether that is from using buttons, keypad, or other parts. (wish I could easily remove the part that holds the start/pause/reset though) For those that have problems with the joystick, have you opened up the controller to see if the joystick is properly sitting on the plastic guide? I noticed that with a little improper usage, the joystick can become "derailed", thusly not working properly.

And, does anyone know how to remove that plastic that holds the start/pause/reset buttons? I want to get to them and clean them, but that plastic piece is always in the way, and doesn't seem to wanna come off.

Okay, so everyone complains that the 5200 controllers break to easy. However, as I read through the threads, it really doesn't ever seem to be the actual joystick, but something in relation to the flex circuit, i.e. buttons failing. I have about 5 controllers, 2 of which work just fine, and the others are around for parts, or such. All of them, the analog control works fine.

I have torn apart all of my controllers to gather parts to make two working controllers. Whether that is from using buttons, keypad, or other parts. (wish I could easily remove the part that holds the start/pause/reset though) For those that have problems with the joystick, have you opened up the controller to see if the joystick is properly sitting on the plastic guide? I noticed that with a little improper usage, the joystick can become "derailed", thusly not working properly.

And, does anyone know how to remove that plastic that holds the start/pause/reset buttons? I want to get to them and clean them, but that plastic piece is always in the way, and doesn't seem to wanna come off.

Yup, it's the buttons that stop working, not the stick itself.

The Start/Pause/reset bezel has two tabs on each end that holds it in the controller. I carefully pop one end out with a small screwdriver. Do it from inside (were the Start or Reset button is) so you don't damage the plastic. If you have a strong plastic stick, even better, since this will less likely damage it.

Allan

The Start/Pause/reset bezel has two tabs on each end that holds it in the controller. I carefully pop one end out with a small screwdriver. Do it from inside (were the Start or Reset button is) so you don't damage the plastic. If you have a strong plastic stick, even better, since this will less likely damage it.

Allan

i use a steak knife it had a sturdy blade and can pop that bezel off from one side or the other

the pots atari used for the 5200 are the best ive ever seen

• 3 weeks later...

I can tell you that I am absolutely sick and tired of the stock controllers. I have cracked my last semi working controller and the front of my 5200's case out of sheer frustration with the **** thing.

My analog controls aren't working right with Qix at all. They won't pick up side to side movement all the time. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Everything is (well it was) aligned properly inside the controller. Every darn time I pick the thing up, something else doesn't work on it. First it's one fire button, then two, then the aux keypad, then the stick itself quits.

I'm tellin ya, the controllers alone could have ruined this system. They are a large part of the reason that I don't play the 5200 at all. Even if they worked as designed, they'd still suck.

I'm going to try one of Best's rebuilt sticks and see what happens. I can't justify spending $200 on four controllers for a system that I do not use, but I'll try one and if it turns my opinion around, I'll slowly buy the rest.

Allan

What's 5200 Controller Assessment 101?

I got my first 5200 (couldn't pass on it). 4 controllers and I hope to make one good one. None of the side buttons work. What's the standard procedure to cleaning these #%@!@# things?

Thanks,

Allan

What's 5200 Controller Assessment 101?

I got my first 5200 (couldn't pass on it). 4 controllers and I hope to make one good one. None of the side buttons work. What's the standard procedure to cleaning these #%@!@# things?

Thanks,

Best way is to take the controller apart clean the contacts where the fire buttons make contact, and super-glue a piece of tin foil to the one (or three) carbon dots on the underside of the fire button. I did this to my four controllers a LONG time ago. I've not had a single problem since and they work perfectly.

Downside is that it's reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally difficult getting the controller back together once apart. Once you get the hang it's not bad but the first few times you'll be pretty frustrated. I'm sure there's instructions somewhere on this site.

• 3 weeks later...

Best way is to take the controller apart clean the contacts where the fire buttons make contact, and super-glue a piece of tin foil to the one (or three) carbon dots on the underside of the fire button. I did this to my four controllers a LONG time ago. I've not had a single problem since and they work perfectly.

Downside is that it's reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally difficult getting the controller back together once apart. Once you get the hang it's not bad but the first few times you'll be pretty frustrated. I'm sure there's instructions somewhere on this site.

Success! I took a slightly different route. First I tried stick glue, nope, fell right off. I'm now trying an experiment that has lasted longer than 45 mins of playing time. I bought some double sided tape and placed it on the foil, then attached that to the dots. I also "fixed" the start/pause/reset strip. I have noticed that it is not necessary to tape the start/pause/reset strip down (as I have read elsewhere). I also noticed that it is not that many "really"s on getting the controller back together. I think it's more luck than anything. If you hit it, great. If not re-calibrate. So, thanks a lot for the help!

I hope you are right on this. I deferred from the 5200 for a about a year because of what I have read about the controllers. Yes, they suck, but I do like them for analog games (Missile Command, Centipede) and I kind of like them for Joust. Yup, I said it, so shoot me.

It seems Atari was capable of making good controllers/keypads as in the Atari 5200 trackball yet made this A5200 controller w/flimsy plastic membrane. I am more interested in digital joysticks for A5200 than self-centering-- anyone make a stick that has start button, fire buttons, and 8 directions?

Had a random thought yesterday, I bought one of these to fix one of my unwell controllers, will let you know how I get on with it...

post-24241-125092123187_thumb.jpg

That did the job. Painted this stuff on the carbon contacts (the black dots on the back of the buttons), controller works 100% and the fire button reactions are better than I can ever remember. Will post a new Topic with some pictures of the control saving operation.