IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

I have no idea which box your game came out of. The only way to find out is to actually find a boxed version of it. I was saying that there is a new variation with the Coleco boxes in general. The box that has this particular variation has the "Plays like the real arcade game" on the front next to the arcade machine. I'm not sure if the illustrated box versions of the games have any type of variations other than foreign releases. I'm in the process of scanning or getting scans for Donkey Kong, Carnival, and Venture and will update the site. This should take about an hour. Also, your cartridge will also be added.

Phil

I just got stumped and hopefully someone can help me here. I just acquired another Stampede box. Of course I was comparing it to the 2 that are on the site. The one I have matches the 2nd listing except for one thing. My new one says Rev 1 on the flap while the listing says Rev 2. Problem is that I can't find any difference with the front or back of the box. I'm wondering if it has something to do with a change on the side or the top/bottom flap. I may just list it with Rev 1 as the same photo as Rev 2 for the time being unless someone can actually give me a detailed difference between the two. I probably owned the Rev 2 version, but sold it awhile back. Now I have nothing to compare it to. I'm trying to purchase more boxed games, and hopefully I'll win some more. Any help here would be appreciated. If you own Rev 2, and can scan the sides and top/bottom flaps for me, I'd appreciate it.

Phil

I have no idea which box your game came out of. The only way to find out is to actually find a boxed version of it. I was saying that there is a new variation with the Coleco boxes in general. The box that has this particular variation has the "Plays like the real arcade game" on the front next to the arcade machine. I'm not sure if the illustrated box versions of the games have any type of variations other than foreign releases. I'm in the process of scanning or getting scans for Donkey Kong, Carnival, and Venture and will update the site. This should take about an hour. Also, your cartridge will also be added.

Phil

Okay, I must of misread. I may have located 1 or 2 of the variation I posted. If so, I'll make more scans so you and rom will have pictures without the screws exposed.

I'd like to thank you for all your help. Only a few people have actively helped us on a continuous basis. I'm adding your photos as we speak on to the website. I'm also detailing the boxes a bit better. I discovered a 4th company that printed boxes on the tiny bottom flap called Shorewood Packaging. This was on the 1983 Joust box. It is probably not uncommon that many of the silver boxes were printed by this company or even other new ones. For the most part, all the silver boxes have glued bottoms, so unless I acquire boxes that the glue has come undone on the bottom, I don't know what is printed on the tiny bottom flaps.

Phil

No, thank you. Your site has kept me from selling my "doubles". I'm only about a 10th done cleaning and sorting them out. ;)

I looked through every listing on Ebay for more of the Donkey Kong. Only two listings looked like they could possibly be them but the pictures were blurry. I took a chance and bid on them. I was correct but wrong at the same time. They are a version j. They are exactly the same as the screw holed one but the standard cream color. Actually I think the cream colored ones should be version i and the screw holed grey one should be version j because I bet they first printed the new label on their standard carts and then later made the grey carts. Maybe they changed it to grey because the standard color has a smoked stained look? Anyway, since the screw holes are ugly, maybe you can just post these new scans and label it like this:

version i)* R ©1982, black label, ML: 2 line “use with…”, CART: standard color, “Made in USA”

version j)* R ©1982, black label, ML: 2 line “use with…”, CART: grey, “Made in USA”

NOTE: versions i & j have the same main and end labels, but the cartridge color is different.

post-28856-129922660461_thumb.jpg

post-28856-129922665134_thumb.jpg

I like your enthusiasm. You are one of the few collectors out there who actually seek all variations. I personally don't look for them all. I like change, so things like a grey or red box variation I would go for. White boxes from the Paks I've been trying to get. Error labels like the Pole Positn and Raiders Lost Ark end labels along with the weird Galaxian and Centipede ones are cool. I actually try and keep the rare or mistake labels like the Space Invaders text with no Taito credit or the Superman game where you don't have to change to Clark Kent. I prefer the color labels/boxes over the stick ones for Apollo. Some games are just too hard to find any version let alone all variations. I can guess you'll be able to help me fill in some of the photo holes I have. I'm happy to accept any replacement scans if you have better labels. You haven't mentioned anything about boxes. Do you collect those? Manuals are another headache that is going to take a very long time to document.

Just to let you know, 10% of your inventory so far is pretty good. I've been at this for about 15 years with helping make the list and then taking it over, and then making the photo site showing the exact variations. Back before the scans, anyone could say there was a variation and it was pretty much added to the list. Though I think most of the time the addition was legitimate and the collector was credible. But the list was confusing at times too. I'm hoping to get back to working on it again real soon. I have so many carts just lying around that I need to inventory, but with my time torn between Ebay, my wife, and looking for a real job, it's tough.

Phil

PS: If you find any broken images, let me know. There should be none. Anything I don't have a photo for has a place holder with the solid black box saying no label available. I just found a broken image with Centipede and just fixed it.

Edited by Philflound

No, thank you. Your site has kept me from selling my "doubles". I'm only about a 10th done cleaning and sorting them out. ;)

I looked through every listing on Ebay for more of the Donkey Kong. Only two listings looked like they could possibly be them but the pictures were blurry. I took a chance and bid on them. I was correct but wrong at the same time. They are a version j. They are exactly the same as the screw holed one but the standard cream color. Actually I think the cream colored ones should be version i and the screw holed grey one should be version j because I bet they first printed the new label on their standard carts and then later made the grey carts. Maybe they changed it to grey because the standard color has a smoked stained look? Anyway, since the screw holes are ugly, maybe you can just post these new scans and label it like this:

version i)* R ©1982, black label, ML: 2 line “use with…”, CART: standard color, “Made in USA”

version j)* R ©1982, black label, ML: 2 line “use with…”, CART: grey, “Made in USA”

NOTE: versions i & j have the same main and end labels, but the cartridge color is different.

Actually I would not put that NOTE in because both versions will have scans. I only use a note when the main/end labels are exactly the same and you can't tell the difference from what is shown. Like the Made in USA, no made in, and Made in Hong Kong. The difference is on the back mold, so 1 photo is sufficient. I'm adding this new version right now, taking your advice of putting the grey one last.

Phil

I like your enthusiasm. You are one of the few collectors out there who actually seek all variations. I personally don't look for them all. I like change, so things like a grey or red box variation I would go for. White boxes from the Paks I've been trying to get. Error labels like the Pole Positn and Raiders Lost Ark end labels along with the weird Galaxian and Centipede ones are cool. I actually try and keep the rare or mistake labels like the Space Invaders text with no Taito credit or the Superman game where you don't have to change to Clark Kent. I prefer the color labels/boxes over the stick ones for Apollo. Some games are just too hard to find any version let alone all variations. I can guess you'll be able to help me fill in some of the photo holes I have. I'm happy to accept any replacement scans if you have better labels. You haven't mentioned anything about boxes. Do you collect those? Manuals are another headache that is going to take a very long time to document.

Just to let you know, 10% of your inventory so far is pretty good. I've been at this for about 15 years with helping make the list and then taking it over, and then making the photo site showing the exact variations. Back before the scans, anyone could say there was a variation and it was pretty much added to the list. Though I think most of the time the addition was legitimate and the collector was credible. But the list was confusing at times too. I'm hoping to get back to working on it again real soon. I have so many carts just lying around that I need to inventory, but with my time torn between Ebay, my wife, and looking for a real job, it's tough.

Phil

PS: If you find any broken images, let me know. There should be none. Anything I don't have a photo for has a place holder with the solid black box saying no label available. I just found a broken image with Centipede and just fixed it.

I have some boxes but have been focusing on carts and manuals. I rather have 5 variations of Combat than one sealed combat box. Once I get to the point that I pretty much own every cart and manual I see then I'll probably get into boxes and when I do I'll be focusing on sealed boxes. All my Lynx games are CIB. I have maybe 20 VCS boxes. I have a few sealed 7800 and Starpath boxes. If you don't count the PAL versions then I have maybe 98-99% of the 7800 games CIB or maybe it's 100%. I'm not sure but I think I remember seeing at least one 7800 game I didn't have. I really need to do an inventory.

I've been scanning carts for you instead of boxes and manuals because I'm sorting through them. I've been going Ebay crazy. I have probably 500 carts to sort though. I'm deciding which one is the better looking of the two with doubles and figuring out which variations I have. I grab all my carts of a game, clean them, sort them, put the doubles away, and then put the ones I'm keeping in cart size Ziploc bags. I'm using your site to do it. When I see something you don't have I scan it. When I finally get done I'll start sorting through my double manuals, systems, controllers... When the entire process is done then I'll sell all my doubles to make room for more goodies. When my OCD is satisfied with how organized I have my collection, I plan on scanning all of it and organizing those scans in a way to use as an inventory of what I have to make collecting easier. I'll have a version on my computer and a version for when going to flea markets and so forth. So far what I'm leaning towards is getting a baseball card binder/s and making my scans into cards. If I get that far I'll gladly share my digital version.

I noticed that you listed both Donkey Kongs as grey. The one without the screws showing is the standard cream color.

Do you plan on adding Sears labels?

You bringing up Superman reminded me of something. I was sorting through either my Defender or Asteroids carts. When I tested them they said Atari in red on start up but one didn't. I'm going to go through them again and see which it was but does that sound familiar? I'm just wondering if that happens with a certain variation. If so then that would be a good identifier if someone is having trouble seeing the difference. You could include,"This variation doesn't show Atari on start up." If there are any differences in the ROM that correlates with the variation then it would help if those correlations are pointed out.

Fixed the Donkey Kong thing. I do two modifications, one in the word document, the other on the particular web page. Sometimes I modify one and forget to do the other. I also fixed one of the sentences on the general Coleco variation page. It was in the wrong paragraph, so that's been fixed.

I may work on the Commavid section real soon since there isn't too much there. I'm holding off on the Data Age because I want to see if that Assemble in Mexico variation is on many boxes and I can't reach my personal collection of that company due to too much junk in front of the bookshelf.

I'm extremely close to sorting through my boxed collection. I've acquired many boxed games over the past few months and need to put them alphabetically on my book shelf with the other games and remove the loose carts from my loose section. I'm going to put more detail if I can for any entries on boxes by examining my personal collection. Though many games are sealed and I can't do much with.

As for Sears, I'll get there eventually. Sears is tough because a few collectors on here are die-hard Sears box collectors and offered to help and never came through. So there are a lot of Sears listings with no scans, mostly boxes.

I know nothing about the startup screen on Asteroids/Defender that you mention. Check the Easter Egg thread and see if something is there about it. I've personally never heard of it and if it was a true error, it probably would have been discovered, talked about, and documented a long time ago.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

I was sorting through either my Defender or Asteroids carts. When I tested them they said Atari in red on start up but one didn't. I'm going to go through them again and see which it was but does that sound familiar?

Some Asteroids carts have a copyright screen. IIRC, having the copyright screen is an indication that the ROM is 8k instead of 4k.

I was sorting through either my Defender or Asteroids carts. When I tested them they said Atari in red on start up but one didn't. I'm going to go through them again and see which it was but does that sound familiar?

Some Asteroids carts have a copyright screen. IIRC, having the copyright screen is an indication that the ROM is 8k instead of 4k.

That is helpful. Thanks. Is the only difference the copyright screen?

Is it common for there to be this much difference in the color of E.T. end labels? Is it caused from fading or two different color inks? All my E.T.s have an orange color but one of them has a pink color like the one on the top.
Color fading happens from both excessive printing and exposure to light. I own many of these and color varies. Not really a variation.
Apart from fading and printing variations, another factor that changes the appearance of colors is glue bleed-through (Actiplaque), which may be why the upper E.T. end label in post #180 looks darker.

I don't know about the ROM size -- I think both versions are the same. Anyway, the version without the copyright screen is the original. This change was once mentioned to programmer Brad Stewart, who was surprised by the question, as he had not written the copyright screen code. Edited by A.J. Franzman

Are there other 2600 carts like this?

I can't verify it, but I've heard that the copyright screen version also fixes an issue where a new ship could be dropped directly on top of or in the path of an asteroid leaving the player no time to react before the ship was destroyed. The copyright ROM apparently waits until there is a danger-free window before placing the ship on screen.

Are there other 2600 carts like this?

Do you mean ROM variants? If so, then yes, there are many, some probably still undiscovered. Plus, there are also specialty ROMs like Spacechase and Atlantis (II), and title change ROMs like Stargate/Defender II and Rubik's Cube/Atari Video Cube.

Here is a partial list of games with ROM variants.

Demon Attack

Space Shuttle

Decathalon

RealSports Soccer

Astroblast

Dodge 'Em

Lost Luggage

Bridge

Missile Command

Othello

Superman

And most recently, a new Homerun variant has evidently been discovered.