IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

I'll update everything you've added here sometime over the next couple of days. I'm investigating other things with the boxes I just got.

Phil

I could add even more if you added other companies. M Network/INTV would be an interesting and hard one to do. You would think that since they only have end labels that there wouldn't be many variations but there is a variety of carts. You would probably have to do like Atari with the CART 1, 2, and 3 but it might go up to maybe 6 or 7. Parker Brothers is kind of the same. I have four Froggers with different carts.

I would love to see a picture of all your boxes. I'm imagining book shelves full.

I'll update everything you've added here sometime over the next couple of days. I'm investigating other things with the boxes I just got.

Phil

I could add even more if you added other companies. M Network/INTV would be an interesting and hard one to do. You would think that since they only have end labels that there wouldn't be many variations but there is a variety of carts. You would probably have to do like Atari with the CART 1, 2, and 3 but it might go up to maybe 6 or 7. Parker Brothers is kind of the same. I have four Froggers with different carts.

I would love to see a picture of all your boxes. I'm imagining book shelves full.

Here are photos from a couple of years ago. I'll take a couple of new ones once I get myself organized. At least 30-40 new boxes have been added.

post-1349-0-80649900-1301092107_thumb.jpg

post-1349-0-29329400-1301092115_thumb.jpg

post-1349-0-31471500-1301092121_thumb.jpg

As for M Network, check the main Atari 2600 page for the PDF file and you can see all the variations. Also check out the other link below the variation site to see the actual photos of the molds for M Network. There are 9 in all and I give great detail.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Donkey Kong printed in Hong Kong

Not sure why you are showing this cartridge. It is version a from what I can tell. Is there something different about it?

Phil

It says "Printed in Hong Kong" on the front label. The ones I saw on your site all say "Printed in U.S.A.". I have a scan coming later if needed.

I got busy these past few days and didn't have time to update anything. On the data age scans above, can you tell me if the variation exists with a specific mold? For example, the mold with the casting mark, does it have both versions that you are showing? If the mold for the rough cart has one version and the mold for the smooth cart has the other, then it wouldn't be a variation, but rather more details for the cart mold description. Another thing I'm going to have to look into.

Phil

Using the way you list them plus the Data Age mold variation this is what I have:

ENCOUNTER AT L-5

©1982, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: white text, CART: smooth plastic with with no casting mark on back and thin DATE AGE font.

BUGS

©1982, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: white text, CART: smooth plastic with with no casting mark on back and thin DATE AGE font.

©1982, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: white text, CART: smooth plastic with round casting mark on back and thick DATA AGE font.

AIRLOCK

©1982, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: white text, CART: smooth plastic with round casting mark on back and thick DATA AGE font.

I have two of the above.

WARPLOCK

©1982, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: white text, CART: rough plastic with thin DATE AGE font.

SSSNAKE

©1982, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: white text, CART: smooth plastic with no casting mark on back and thin DATE AGE font.

JOURNEY ESCAPE

©1982, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: black text, CART: rough plastic with thin DATE AGE font.

©1982, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: black text, CART: smooth plastic with round casting mark on back and thick DATA AGE font.

BERMUDA TRIANGLE

©1982, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: black text, CART: smooth plastic with round casting mark on back and thick DATA AGE font.

I have two of the above.

Frankenstein's MONSTER

©1983, silver wraparound label, illustration, EL: black text, CART: smooth plastic with round casting mark on back and thick DATA AGE font.

I have two of the above.

TOTAL

smooth plastic with round casting mark on back: 8 thick

smooth plastic with no casting mark on back: 3 thin

rough plastic: 2 thin

Conclusion from my carts: casting mark= thick.

Edited by Schizophretard

I noticed that you did the same thing with WIZARD OF WOR as you did with GORF. You used the same end label twice. With WIZARD OF WOR the Singapore version also has a small TM on the end label. I included both scans to show the difference. I also included the scan for the Singapore main label because I think this one is in better condition.

There is something else I noticed. Look at the double end label scans I provided for WIZARD OF WOR and GORF. There is a mold difference. The Singapore versions don't have those two spots(imperfections) in the top corners. Here is a scan of one of the spots I'm referring too.

EDIT: ROM I don't think you have this either. :cool:

post-28856-0-47786800-1301557776_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-70652700-1301557792_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-52536500-1301557804_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-43607100-1301557821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Schizophretard

I was trying to save space by using the same main or end labels if there were no differences. If you find differences, I need to correct that. Do you have more than one of those Wizard of Wor versions with the mold circles? That may be a fluke or possibly all have them and I just used the non-Singapore end label and need to put the Singapore end label.

It seems that you probably concluded corerctly on the Data Age. That the casting mark mold has the thick "Data Age" logo on the mold. I will probably note this, just in case someone comes across something different from what you've concluded.

I promise I will have all these updates finished by Sunday. I may start on them later today.

Phil

Just got a few boxed games in the mail today and started going over them. I found a new variation for Indy 500. First off, I have a 1978 pic label that has plastic main and end labels. I already scanned them and put them up. They don't really look too different in the scan, but you can definitely tell in person. I also yielded a new box variation for the large box holding the controllers. This is the regular release box, not the 11 Indy version. The one I personally own is the one that was 2 and 2a. The small box version 2 is the same as I can tell. The large box is where the difference lies. The one I had on, I modified the listing. It has Rev 4 but does not have a printer on the large flap on the top. It also has 2 product numbers above the Rev. The back of the box has a yellow "Game Program". The new box is also Rev 4, has Aopak San Francisco as the printer, has 3 product numbers above the Rev, and the "Game Program" is white. I can't tell any other differences. I'll have this new box scanned as 2b and up within 15 minutes. I'll let you know if any other variations are found with the other games.

EDIT: I'm looking at the Space Invaders box and discovered a new variation. This has the white warranty box on back, the copyright is 1981 which has no listing and the copyright is outside the warranty box. I'm going to get dinner so I'll put this new variation up later when I get back.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Plastic labels for the most part are the paper labels with a plastic coating. Probably to protect it from liquid spilling and rubbing the paper off. The Combat plastic label seems to be a rare version of that type of label. I just found the Air Sea Battle picture label that came with this batch also has a plastic label. It may have something to do with the 1981 box with the white warranty box.

Phil

The plastic also seems to protect them from fading, getting dirty, and getting those ugly moldy black spots. Those spots are the worst. They make Pac-Man look like he has AIDS. The plastic Combat cart is my favorite. It should have became the standard. I used CD scratch remover from Game Stop and it shined it up like new. It is a perfectly designed cart. It makes me wonder why it is unique. It is a must have for every collection.

Do you own the Math Grand Prix above or have access to the owner of the scans to double check to see if yours/theirs has a plastic main label. I'm wondering if your description is incomplete or if they are two different variations.

I got a new Jr. Pac-Man today so I'm revisiting it. I'm extremely confused with which ones are red and which ones are brown. I either have red and brown carts or I have dark red and light red carts. Can you explain how to tell the difference?

Anyway, the one I scanned for you here looks light red and the plastic label has the star next to it. It looks like you are using the same end labels as the 1987 version d.

The one I got today I believe is the one you are missing. This one is dark red(brown?). I believe it is this one: version c) U Picred1 ©1987, CART3, ML: “CX26123”, “Printed in Hong Kong ” in smaller font size than the rest of the legal notice

post-28856-0-18753200-1301824676_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-42436600-1301824685_thumb.jpg

Plastic labels for the most part are the paper labels with a plastic coating.

It might make more sense to refer to plastic labels such as these as "hi-gloss" labels, or something similar, rather than "plastic". Atari labels seem to come in a range of glossiness--flat, hi-, and even semi-.

BTW, I own that MGP variant as well, and the main label is hi-gloss. Actually, many of the Atari, Corp. variants have hi-gloss main labels.