IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

hey man!

didnt see this on your poleposition box list so thought to send a scan for you, if already have this then disregard:). c 1983 silver box made in usa on back tab flap style profe of purchase on small top flap

rev.a on small top flap shorewood packaging(july 1983) on small bottom flap black/white sticker on front of box that says "arcade hit of the year!" on the front of the box.post-30830-0-03828800-1347751125_thumb.jpgpost-30830-0-36015900-1347751462_thumb.jpg

I'm putting this as variation box 2 since I didn't have proof of the one I had listed. It's a lot easier for me to just throw this in that slot rather than rename all the others. If I do come across a 1987 Made in China sticker version, I'll put it in then and worry about the renaming. This will be updated in the next 10 minutes.

Phil

M Network is now complete. If you see any errors, please let me know. I try and look at everything I do, but it is a lot of work that is tiring and sometimes my wife distracts me. Biggest chance of an error is probably the description of the variation, especially going into each specific manual. I do a lot of copy/paste from other listings, and sometimes forget to replace the description with the new item.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

My computer is back in my house as of this afternoon. Of course Best Buy (now called Worst Buy) found no hardware issue, and my $170 warranty is down the drain as it didn't cover software. So I have many issues with it and the only solution is to restore it from day 1. This being said, I've backed up all my photos, the file for my website with all my work, and lots of other important things. When I'm ready (probably next week), I'll start my computer over and then install all my software once again. I need to find everything first as I don't want to not have my scanner, printer, MS Office 2000 (yes 2000) and other important programs I need. My room is a disaster and finding stuff is never easy. I'm glad I haven't won any auctions lately.

Anyway, I may not be able to work on the site for a few weeks, unless I decide to do it before restoring my computer. That's if I'm ambitious. So be patient. No one has commented on the M Network page yet. I'm hoping my work was satisfactory. Let me know if you have the few missing manuals. Thanks.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Added the manual to the list, but you won't see that on the site for awhile. Thanks. I also got over 35 more boxes in so I'll do some checking against the list to update any information or add new variations. I haven't been thrilled with the way things have been going and now that Obama is still president, our country is going to shit. I'm looking to leave NJ as this state sucks and going to move to a state where I will have my rights fought for by the state against the federal govt. But this isn't really the place to discuss that sort of thing. I'll post any updates I find.

Phil

• Like 1

Added the manual to the list, but you won't see that on the site for awhile. Thanks. I also got over 35 more boxes in so I'll do some checking against the list to update any information or add new variations. I haven't been thrilled with the way things have been going and now that Obama is still president, our country is going to shit. I'm looking to leave NJ as this state sucks and going to move to a state where I will have my rights fought for by the state against the federal govt. But this isn't really the place to discuss that sort of thing. I'll post any updates I find.

Phil

Sorry you have to move. Free State Project participants chose New Hampshire. Maybe that state has what you are looking for.

If I move, it would be somewhere in the mid-west. The northeast is where I'm trying to get away from.

On a separate note, I'm modifying pages of the boxes that I'm adding info to, and updating the "Aopak" to "Adpak" corrections as much as I can. I think there were somewhere around 80 or so replacements, though some of the boxes have more than one reference to "Aopak", so I know there won't be 80 web pages that need updating. When I get time, I'll fix the ones that I'm not updating with my new 35+ box acquisitions. I'll hopefully have some time this weekend. Though I'm trying to rush getting Christmas items in my ebay and ecrater stores asap. Stuff I bought on clearance last year that I put in storage and never put online. Need to get some sales going.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Well the Christmas season kept me rather busy and I'm still finding good deals on some items so I'm still busy. I finally got around to replacing some sold 2600 games and since I was scanning, decided to add a new variation. I found a NIght Driver with a tab flap. So this has been added to the Night Driver box page. I also modified the General Atari Variations page at the end of the box section. For those who may be confused as to my categorizing the flap styles, I finally did some scans and show exactly what I'm talking about.

http://www.videogame...eneralAtari.htm

Besides describing the 3 flap styles at the bottom of the page, I put a more detailed description in my header paragraph under the box section. I described in further detail how I am deciding which boxes were printed in what order. Since coming up with the idea of looking at the tiny flaps for printer and print date, it has become much easier on putting boxes in chronological release. The only big problem I have is with the glued flaps on the bottom. Unless I unglue the boxes, I can't for the most part find out who the printer is and what date the box was printed. Sometimes I can use a pen cap and peek at the tiny flap, but this isn't always that easy. And of course, I need the boxes on hand to actually see dates and printers.

Anyway, thanks to the suggestion of I believe it was Schizo, I decided to begin to order the box listings by release order. I've done Night Driver already. One thing I cannot totally determine is the multi-language box release dates in most cases. First, I do not have too many. Second, I don't remember if they even have printers and printing dates on the tiny flaps. So I may keep these towards the end of the listings unless I can definitely verify when they were released.

As for anyone who has given me new or updated scans, I haven't forgotten to update and will try to do so real soon. I'm still trying to catch up on listings with Ebay and my computer work room is a total mess. But I will get to them eventually. Any questions, comments, suggestions, or additions, just let me know.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been on hiatus lately. Had kidney stone surgery last month. Been busy with Ebay and taxes lately. Got hired teaching HS geometry for the rest of the school year, so now I'm really busy. I pulled the manuals I had for Atari games lettered A up to Dark Chambers I think. I was going to begin adding all the scans I had for manuals. I hope to do this in the next few weeks, but have to play catch up on several purchases I made for ebay sales including a nice batch of 1st print Classics Comics.

Anyway, Al moved the site, so I redirected it just now. If you cannot link to www.videogamevariations.com, then try .net or .info since I own those too and they point to the same place.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Back with new updates. Found a Frogger box variation, though PB isn't up yet on the site. I may try and get them on soon. Also, am in the process of adding all the printers on the flaps with dates. I decided to add the Activision printers/dates too, so you'll see those up soon too. Didn't get to the manual variations just yet, but will also be moving on to them real soon. I've been teaching full time at a subs pay though, and school is up the 24th, so I'll have a good 2 months to work on things. Finally someone contacted me with a 1984 box version of Millipede. Just need the front scan and I'll get that one up too.

Phil

I was in a rush last night, so I didn't get to post. I began the manuals for the Atari made games. This is going to take a long time, maybe the whole summer, to scan whatever I can't find or have been given already. I skipped the 32 in 1 because I have to think about the format I want to use. I may just leave it as 2 giant pages.

Format for the manuals are going to be 1 page per scan, even if pictures or words cut off. Each scan will be 600 wide like the boxes, to allow clear readability. I had begun a couple of the Activision, but decided to go with Atari first. Also, any new companies I add, which now would be after M Network I believe, will include manuals. I may as well be consistant from now on with all info. The only Atari manuals online at the moment is 3D Tic Tac Toe and Adventure. Just scanning 2 of the 3 manuals and cropping and labeling, then putting them in my program before uploading took well over an hour to do. So this is no menial task. I hope you have patience.

The way the manual page is set up, you click on the manuals link for the game. It then will bring you to a page listing all the manuals. I may just link to the manual itself if there is only 1 known to exist. Though for 3D TTT, I gave the intermediate page. Once you're on the manual page for the game, you'll see the list of manuals, each with a link, which is the title, Manual A, Manual B, etc. After the link, you'll denote a * after it. If there is no * and the word MANUAL B or whichever one you want to click is not linked, it means I do not have the scans for that particular variation. The reason I don't have the scan is either 1.)Atari Guide has part of the manual, so I won't put up the manual unless it's complete, or 2.) I had the manual in one of my spare games and sold it before deciding to go ahead and do a manual section for the photo variation website. So someone else has that particular version.

Since many manuals have 12 pages or more, it takes someone willing to scan everything to have them online to view. I'm willing to do what I own myself, from my personal collection and the hundreds of duplicates I've acquired over the years.

So if you have a manual I don't have a link for, please scan it in its entirety for me. That goes for blank pages. I know Atari Guide has some manual scans, but he doesn't always have all the pages. I want every page, so there is a comparison for the collectors to look at. The only way to discover new variations is to compare them side by side with the known ones, and that is for every page.

If you have any new discoveries, I'd appreciate it if you could scan every page and send them to me. Also, give me all of the info I'd need that you see online. Product number, color, size, Rev, etc. Since I decided to add the manuals to the giant variation list, I could only work off of what I've seen online or what I've held in my hands. There are games listed with no manual examples so far, though they do exist, and there are games listed that probably should have more manuals than what is shown.

Basketball has me confused, probably the most next to Indy 500. Basketball black manual has no Rev, then jumps to Rev 5. Was there a 1-4? I've yet to find any to date. Indy 500 is similar, going from no Rev, Rev 1, then also jumps to Rev 5. Is there a 2-4? I'm assuming these things were made. Though if they don't exist, I can only figure they were revised with the new revision number, say Rev 2, then before printing, were revised again, to Rev 3, then again before printing, revised again, etc.

I also decided to put the overlays with the manuals, along with any inserts. This decision is based on the fact that I put the inserts in the manual section and the overlays right under the manuals. Since so few games had overlays, it made no sense to make an overlay column. If and when I ever get to Intellivision, there is an overlay column because most games were made with them. Inserts will include Asteroids, ET, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, which are the ones that come to mind.

As for the comic books, I'll probably also include them with the game they were released with under the manual section. I think there were a total of 10 comics if memory serves me correctly. The 5 Atari Force, Centipede, Yars, and the 3 Swordquest.

So have patience with the section. I have the summer off, so I'll try and get as much done as possible, maybe 1-3 titles per day. And if you can help in any way, I'd appreciate it.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

• 3 weeks later...

Just got in a batch of boxed games. And.... I discovered new Home Run and Basketball box variations. I'll get these up hopefully by the end of the weekend. I always love getting new stuff to scrutinize over. I also discovered another version of Video Pinball. If you look at the top of the page, I mention that version a has a line behind the pinballs. Well, I discovered a copy of version b with the same variation. I think I'm going to scan these as variations now, but will have to dig through my carts to find version a with the line. My loose carts are buried, so hopefully one of my boxed copies has it. I'll try and also get that up by the end of the weekend. I went through about 1/2 the boxes, so I'll post anything else I find.

Phil

• Like 1

The Basketball has just been uploaded. The new variation with this is the "limited ninety day warranty" version. I put this as one of the last releases, but before the versions that have the 1981 copyright outside the white box. For those who follow which cartridge version, it was the 1978 picture label with sliding protector inside the box. When going through the variations of the box order, I assumed the limited ninety day version was before the 1981 version. At least from what I see it seems that way. But this box was made way later, in 11/83. Not sure if it's because it's a tab style. There aren't too many tab styles out there. I'm going to note this in the general explanation as the Night Driver tab style I have also has 11/83. I'm thinking any tab "ninety day" box styles were made very late before the grey boxes were released. I'm always on the lookout. Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

BTW, so I don't have to post another, the Home Run variation is a glued style box, red "Game Program" on front, with white warranty box on back with the copyright inside. The one I got from Atarimania that has the same back is a standard style box with yellow "Game Program" on front. I'll try and get this up within an hour.

Added a variation for Space Attack by M Network. Found one with the sticker on the back where they changed the "Made in". There have been a few of the titles with this and I expect to find more over time. I'm getting another 20+ boxed games, so hopefully I'll find more variations. Have been fine tuning the printers on the tiny flaps and adding them as I get them. I'm going to soon rearrange the printing order on the Atari game boxes. From what I've seen, the variation with the "limited ninety day warranty" on back seems to have been the last regular release for the game based on the printer dates. So I'll soon rearrange titles to try and be in as accurate of release order as possible. I'll only try and rearrange titles that I've gotten the info on and can definitely prove the release order.

Phil

• 1 year later...

Over a year since I've posted. I'm still around. Update as to everything.

1.) My hard drive crashed and I lost my Microsoft Front Page so the website is put on hold.

2.) I'm in the process of packing and looking to move. Was considering doing this over the past 2 months, but the amount of stuff I own has put it off for a year. So now my wife and I are packing everything we own into boxes and getting ready for when I can find a job.

3.) As to where I move, I'm looking at Florida since there are a ton of teaching jobs down there and literally none here in NJ.

4.) I've been frustrated, though that is not the real reason the website is on hold. Not having Front Page available hurt big time and I really don't have the enthusiasm to do it with another program at this time. Once my life is settled hopefully next year, I may get back to it.

5.) The majority of this year I was teaching for a maternity leave, so that took up a good amount of my time. Also, my father in law passed away at age 91 at the beginning of last October.

6.) If it comes down to it, I may consider selling off my collection. I know some of you collectors would want some specific items from me. I haven't decided how to sell it if I do choose to part with everything. That decision will be made probably by next summer when I'm ready to pack up all my personal stuff. Right now I'm working on all my stock of comics, cards, toys, and video games. I've amassed so much stuff over the years, it's not even funny. I'm selling many items at wholesale prices on Ebay under my id: GPDCOMICS.

7.) Speaking of Ebay, I gave up on the Ebay store in May. Another depressing thing. My sales were so low that Ebay was literally taking 1/2 my sale money. Seemed like I was working for them, so now I'm selling only when I can get free listings. I tried going back to Ebid.net, but really don't have the time to keep putting on multiple sites.

So I'd like to thank everyone who has helped with the variation site and if Albert is willing to let it sit awhile, I will get back to it. I have paid for the domain names until August, 2015 and should renew them when the time comes. Unless of course I win the lottery, then I can get back to doing all the fun things I love. Being unemployed sucks and working pretty much as a substitute teacher for the last 5 years has been a waste of my time, so change must come.

Phil

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to update everything. I got a permanent position here in NJ, at least for the rest of the year. Moving may still be an option. I'm trying to get my 10 years of teaching in NJ though so I can qualify for at least some pension (if there is one left by the time I retire). I'll almost be halfway there by the end of this year. Don't know if I'm moving to Florida, but we'll see where I stand in June.

I just got Microsoft Web Expression 3 last week, so I'm going to try and get working on the site again. My goal is to finish all the carts and boxes for the 2600 and then eventually work on to manuals. That will be a job and a half with all the scanning I'll need to do. Though with my teaching job, I can't dedicate too much time right now.

I just spent a few hours over the past 4 days helping Schitti with the atariboxed.com site scanning boxes and carts that he doesn't have. I suggest anyone with PAL games please help them out over there. Having several sites for info is great.

I can't believe I've been collecting for about 20 years now. When I started in the mid-1990s, there were few things about the 2600 that I knew, and I was surprised to find a collector base out there through newsgroups and the Digital Press price guide. From the start, I was into helping build this hobby into what it has turned into today. I tried to contribute in every aspect. I just wish there were 5 of me to do everything I want to do. But I promise I'll get back on this.

If you don't see an update on scans anyone has sent me, either resend it or remind me and I'll try and get the update done first. Thanks for your support with all this.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Got a box of semi-complete to complete games in the mail a couple of days ago. I have found a few new variations, or ones that seemed to have existed, but I never had listed. These include a Pac-Man, Video Checkers, and Maze Craze. I'll be updating these in the next 2 days. I also received a Frogger box with the "Arcade Classic Series" written on it that I never had, yet I see several for sale on Ebay. Not sure how I never had one of these in my possession over the years. I also found the 2nd version box of Demon Attack. I'll be adding Imagic boxes first priority in the near future, and will finish Parker Brothers soon thereafter. Parker Brothers sometimes have the variation with the side of the box, so I have been scanning the sides of boxes to give a better idea of what you're looking for with the variations.

As for my word/pdf document. That is a bit out of date. After I finish PB, I will go back and update everything that should be on that list. I'm hoping my Google Docs will modify it nicely since I no longer have a Microsoft Word to do the job. When I'm done updating, I'll concentrate on finishing the rest of the companies after PB with carts and boxes, and then will finally move on to the manuals.

I have modified a few of the titles on the website with the printer names/dates on the tiny flaps already. I also found the one missing cart variation for Lock n Chase, so though it looks the same as the other (this one is Philippines with snap piece), I put a * next to letter to say it's been verified. I'll post anything else here if I add something new other than what I've already mentioned above.

Phil

Ok, I'm having issues with my Web Expression 3. At the top of each of my pages would say this:

[Add this page to the navigation structure to display a page banner here]
[Add this page to the Navigation view to display hyperlinks here]

Normally in Front Page, I would change to a tree format that shows which page was below, actually I had it going horizontally. So the home page would be first, then I would list companies like Atari 2600, Intellivision. next branch would have the actual companies that made Atari 2600 games like Activision, Coleco, etc. Then when you click the company, it would list all the games, manuals (when I have them), and boxes. Clicking that would bring to the final page of the actual games or boxes. Each page you could go back to the first page, or go up to the parent page. This was done by placing the "child" in the correct position of the tree. The "links/banner" above would then be replaced.

Problem is I can't find anything like a tree format for me to manipulate the Action Force boxes to go below the Parker Brothers page. If you look at my PB page here:

http://www.videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/parkerbros.htm

you will see I have added the Action Force boxes. When you click the AF boxes link, it goes to this page:

http://www.videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/ParkerBrotherGames/action_force_boxes.htm

Compare it to this page and you will see I don't have the ACTION FORCE BOXES title nor the "Home" and "Up" links.

http://www.videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/ParkerBrotherGames/action_force_cartridges.htm

I've been looking at the help section for awhile now and cannot come up with a solution. Is anyone familiar with how to change the title and put the two links underneath? I have right clicked the page and changed the page properties to have the title say Action Force Boxes, but the top of the page doesn't change. I remember if I physically wrote in the top "Action Force Boxes", something with the tree link screwed up, so I had to go through using the tree to do it.

Also, for some reason, Expression 3 is not recognizing the copyright © symbol and the fancy " ", which are curvy that I have in the document. It's on the page when I'm in Expression 3, but when I uploaded it, it's giving me the ? in the black diamond as you can see. Figured out how to get the paragraph thing fixed. I'm looking for some kind of format, but have come up empty with this too. Wish I had my Front Page 2000 back.

So can anyone help me out? I wanted to get back working on this. Pictures seem to work fine.

Phil

EDIT: Just changed the title of the page, so at least that says what it should. Haven't figured out how to add the home page link and parent link, but will try some things out.

EDIT 2: I decided to just erase the hyperlink thing and just link the 2 pages. It seems to have worked. So now I'm down to the symbol formats in my listings. Anyone know how I can correct it? I don't feel like writing ( C ) in front of copyright dates anymore. I guess I can always put the regular quotation marks looking like this: " "

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1

Ok, I screwed up my site big time (at least on my computer, not uploading anything). Because I could not figure out how to "tree" the diagram, all my pages now have "Action Force Boxes" written at the top, and they probably all have the second link that says "Up" going to Parker Brothers page. I need to figure out how to fix this, or else the site gets put on hold again. This is extremely frustrating. I remember this happening in the very beginning when I used Front Page, but once I figured out how to go to the Navigation page and use the tree, it worked find. There doesn't seem to be a navigation page with Expression 3. There is something that has a "tree", but wants me to convert the file from .htm to ASP or something like that. I like basic and wish to go back to the basics. So unless I can get back to basics, I can't move forward. Need help desperately.

Phil

I found the hyperlinks with the tree. Will have to spend tomorrow trying to figure out if I can undo what I did to all my pages. I'm trying to copy the files from the site back onto my computer, but I'm not sure if they are replacing as it is a slow process. I may just copy them to a totally different folder and begin from there. We'll see what happens. Hopefully things will work out and I'll be back on my way.I still have not figured out how to get the copyright symbol to stay.

Phil