IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

Alright, editing this since I just finished Space Invaders and everything else that was given to me over the past week is now up to date (I hope). Anyway, what I did with Space Invaders was put the Cart 2 scan Schizo gave me with the Cart 2 version listing. I then moved my original scan that was listed under Cart 2 to a Cart 3 version since Schizo pointed out this is Cart 3 due to the 2 indentions. I changed the listing description to say that the product number is on the label. I took the version after that with no product number and made it very simple with no description about the color of an end label. Since I have not been able to verify ANY version of Cart 3 with no product number from 1986, there isn't any reason to keep 2 blanks. If someone can come up with the 1986 no product number Cart 3 version in the future, we'll add the detail of which color the end label is (red or blue). Until then, we'll leave it blank and hope someone can come up with at least one of the undocumented versions.

Sorry if this was confusing.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

The Decathlon labels consistantly fade. Too difficult to determine any real variation with color for them.

As for Keystone Kapers, one does have a more pinkish look to it. Problem is that scans don't always pick up the color correctly. Also, just noticing your copy, the glue bleeding through the label causes it to become darker. Look at your end label closely. You can see around the K in Keystone and above the S at the end that there is pink color. If you look at the scan I have on the site that is totally pink, you'll see that those spots and a few others on your end label match. I hope to get a "cleaner" end label scan in the future. The main label scan I have on the site is almost flawless.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

The Decathlon labels consistantly fade. Too difficult to determine any real variation with color for them.

As for Keystone Kapers, one does have a more pinkish look to it. Problem is that scans don't always pick up the color correctly. Also, just noticing your copy, the glue bleeding through the label causes it to become darker. Look at your end label closely. You can see around the K in Keystone and above the S at the end that there is pink color. If you look at the scan I have on the site that is totally pink, you'll see that those spots and a few others on your end label match. I hope to get a "cleaner" end label scan in the future. The main label scan I have on the site is almost flawless.

Phil

It's kind of confusing with the Activision carts because of the fading, actiplague, and odd colors.

While the forums were down I came across a few things:

I have a version a Plaque Attack with no springs.

I have the end label to Robot Tank version a.

Coleco section has 404 error.

I'm confused about the teeth in Activision carts. You have pictures of the foam inserts but none of the teeth. I have found what I originally thought were the teeth in a few of my carts but ,since these are not near the opening of the cart and are on one side, I'm unsure if these could be the teeth that hold up the foam inserts. I included a scan of them. Are these the teeth?

post-28856-0-40821900-1300254992_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-70602000-1300255009_thumb.jpg

All donated variations double-checked and added (where needed - most of them were already in the database).

Only Donkey Kong left.

Have to examine this variation closer.

Thanks!

8)

I ordered another Donkey Kong like the one with the screw holes in it. If it turns out to be gray I'll provide a new scan. I also ordered another variation with a gray cart that I believe Phil only has in the standard color.

Yes, the photo next to Robot Tank is the "teeth". They are deep in the opening and are hard to scan. I'm surprised you actually got a nice scan of it. Fixed the damn 404 error again. It has to do with my naming of the folders. If other companies come up with 404 errors, let me know. I try to keep all names consistent and a few slipped by differently, thus causing these problems.

Phil

I have a Boxing with teeth. Does that mean it is variation a or b that has had the foam removed or that it is an unlisted variation?

I also have a Skiing with the teeth but no foam.

How do we know which ones had just the teeth or if the foam was removed? Has it been confirmed by opening a sealed box or other means that there were teeth variations made without foam?

I recommend you put my teeth scan on your General Activision Variations page because it is a little confusing.

I have noticed that the rectangle that is formed by the two things(can't find the word) that hold the circuit boards in place have at least three different molds. One is smooth, one is textured, and one is textured with a line in the middle. Why aren't these considered variations?

All donated variations double-checked and added (where needed - most of them were already in the database).

Only Donkey Kong left.

Thanks!

8)

I ordered another Donkey Kong like the one with the screw holes in it. If it turns out to be gray I'll provide a new scan. I also ordered another variation with a gray cart that I believe Phil only has in the standard color.

Thanks.

Your Donkey Kong belongs to this box, btw:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-donkey-kong_8067.html

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Only Donkey Kong left.

Thanks!

8)

Thanks.

8)

Thanks. How you know this?

Only Donkey Kong left.

Thanks!

8)

Thanks.

8)

These label types were sold in illustrated Coleco boxes only.

8)

Only Donkey Kong left.

Thanks!

8)

Thanks.

8)

These label types were sold in illustrated Coleco boxes only.

8)

But how did you figure that out? Would all gray carts be in this box or just Atari 2600 VCS variations?

But how did you figure that out?

Please take a look at all these illustrated (carrying a cartoon like figure) boxes and their carts:

http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-2600-vcs-coleco-illustrated_label_192_2_G.html

Almost all of them have the same label lay-out as your Donkey Kong carts, while no other box type contains this type of label carts.

Would all gray carts be in this box or just Atari 2600 VCS variations?

I'm talking about the label type, not the color of the cart's plastics.

Don't know if gray cart versions came in one specific type of box.

Must have more info on that to specify.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

---I have a Boxing with teeth. Does that mean it is variation a or b that has had the foam removed or that it is an unlisted variation?

You'll never know.

---I also have a Skiing with the teeth but no foam.

Foam deteriorated or was removed.

---How do we know which ones had just the teeth or if the foam was removed? Has it been confirmed by opening a sealed box or other means that there were teeth variations made without foam?

Witness by many collectors over the years confirmed these, especially a few experts in the area of Activision.

---I recommend you put my teeth scan on your General Activision Variations page because it is a little confusing.

Will do.

---I have noticed that the rectangle that is formed by the two things(can't find the word) that hold the circuit boards in place have at least three different molds. One is smooth, one is textured, and one is textured with a line in the middle. Why aren't these considered variations?

Not exactly sure what you are talking about. Deep inside the cartridge at the bottom of the circuit board? I actually don't think too many people would care about this if that is what you are referring to. You'd probably need a flashlight to scan each one and those with foam you wouldn't be able to see at all.

Sorry, the Boxing response is too vague. The teeth came with both foams, so when I said you'll never know, you can't tell if it was the white or black foam. There was no version without teeth and wouldn't be listed as such because any found in the wild you would assume the foam was removed. It would be next to impossible to find a brand new copy, since these are rare as it is, let alone finding a new copy, opening it and having only teeth.

Phil

Yes, at the bottom of the circuit board. There are three different molds.

I'll take a peek at my Activision titles to see what I have in reference to this. I'd probably choose Laser Blast or Megamania since those I have the most of. Do you have any particular title that you see has this difference? They would have to be the same in every way short of this mold variation to even be considered a variation.

Phil

Yes, at the bottom of the circuit board. There are three different molds.

I'll take a peek at my Activision titles to see what I have in reference to this. I'd probably choose Laser Blast or Megamania since those I have the most of. Do you have any particular title that you see has this difference? They would have to be the same in every way short of this mold variation to even be considered a variation.

Phil

If I do more sorting tonight I'll give another look and I still have Activision carts to go through in another box I won recently on Ebay. I don't know if I have enough doubles of variations to see if there are specific molds for variations but I can tell they are definitely different. Maybe they could be used for dating or maybe the machines to create them were slightly different. Whatever it is it could be important. Look at my teeth scan. I'm talking about the area on the opposite side of the teeth. There are those two plastic pieces that hold the circuit board in place. Those two pieces, the circuit board, and the edge of the cart forms a rectangular area. That area is either smooth like the rest of the bottom of the cart, textured like the outside of the cart, or textured with a line in the middle.