IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

Just got a batch of boxed games today and am expecting another batch in another couple of days. I finally acquired the orange background warranty box version for Basketball. I will probably have more updates and will post them here.

Just discovered a Printed in Taiwan box for Home Run that is from 1978. Though I'm going out real soon for St. Patty's to eat corned beef, I'll try and get this on later tonight.

Wow! Another new box. Just looked at Bowling. I have a 1978 copyright inside white background warranty box. I'm thinking of eliminating the whole light blue box thing and putting this in its place. Can always add the variation back if it's ever found.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

I've been getting curious as to how the boxes were actually released. I'm assuming when the Rev # increases, then those boxes were released at a later date. There are some exceptions where boxes don't have any Rev # but have changed (see Combat), but it seems pretty standard, especially with the early released games. I think the Printed in Taiwan boxes are the strange ones. The release below is for Printed in USA boxes. This seems to be the order I've come up with so far.

No Rev - original box book like style

No Rev - GAME PROGRAM in large letters in middle of box on back

Rev 1 - white warranty box, copyright outside warranty box

Rev 2 - white warranty box, copyright inside warranty box

Rev 3 - ninety day limited warranty in middle of box on back

Rev 4 - clear warranty box (color of box itself), copyright outside warranty box

Rev 5 (same as Rev 4 as I can tell: Canyone Bomber has it

There are exceptions to this as I've seen version 4 with the clear warranty box having Rev 1 on flap. But if a game has most or all of the variations listed, this would be the order of release. I'll probably study this further in the future. Actually knowing the release time of the box may help those who want to know which cartridge came in which box. Meaning if a picture label was released in 1980, a GAME PROGRAM box should not have that version.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

I'm back from my disappointing St. Patty's Day. I won't go into detail, but it took 2 1/2 hours to find a place that had what my wife desired to eat. PITA.

Anyway, while scanning the bowling box, I looked at the cart a bit closer. It turns out this is another variation. It looks like the normal pic label, but both main and end labels are plastic. We did put the variation of the pic label with a plastic end label, but this one isn't the variation of the photo. So I'm adding it also in the next 15 minutes.

I examined the Home Run game. Box is new. Manual is actually new too with a different product number and is printed in Taiwan dated 1978, so that is added to the list. Cartridge is the rare black logo version. It turns out the end label is not pink, but more of a peach color. Also, both main and end labels are plastic. I'll be modifying this entry and replacing the scans for this variation. I'm actually tired and will do this tomorrow

Phil

Edited by Philflound

How many boxes you own? I'm interested in knowing which carts belong to what boxes. I hope your site eventually lists them.

I own a lot, but I'm not going to work on that venture. Atarimania does something with that, and tries to keep a general idea of what game goes to what box, but it's impossible to do. You never know if what you get in the mail is all original unless it was sealed.

I also acquired Boxing, Skiing, and Tennis boxes that I didn't have scans for and will be updating things over the weekend.

Phil

You are missing the scans for:

version e) R ©1982, blue label, stick letters, big ™ by Apollo, CART: small letters, notched post

Thanks.

They will be added asap.

If you own any more Apollo variations not shown here:

http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-2600-vcs-apollo-games-by-apollo_publisher_4_2_G.html

please let me know.

8)

And another one. It is identical to:

version d)* C ©1982, blue label, stick letters, CART: molded small letters, notched post

But has a large TM next to Apollo.

I've never seen a black label for Space Cavern. That's a new one. The TM sizes for the stick letters is something I'm guessing may occur with every game with a stick letter label, since it's already on others. It's pretty easy to spot too.

Phil

How many boxes you own? I'm interested in knowing which carts belong to what boxes. I hope your site eventually lists them.

I own a lot, but I'm not going to work on that venture. Atarimania does something with that, and tries to keep a general idea of what game goes to what box, but it's impossible to do. You never know if what you get in the mail is all original unless it was sealed.

I also acquired Boxing, Skiing, and Tennis boxes that I didn't have scans for and will be updating things over the weekend.

Phil

I see your point with sealed but I believe you can be confident enough if the cartridge looks brand new. I just got a Warlords CIB. This cartridge looks new. If this didn't come in this box then it was transferred from another box but there is no way it spent much time outside of a box. It looks like I opened the shrink wrap myself. The manual is the same way. I don't know but I'm confident that this cart belongs in this box. If it was all dinged up and dirty I would be less confident. Anyway, I thought I was just paying a few bucks for an ordinary Warlords but it is another variation neither of us had. It has the label of version c but is CART2.

post-28856-0-69261200-1300523987_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-86480400-1300523997_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-85697800-1300524007_thumb.jpg

And another one. It is identical to:

version d)* C ©1982, blue label, stick letters, CART: molded small letters, notched post

But has a large TM next to Apollo.

I've never seen a black label for Space Cavern. That's a new one. The TM sizes for the stick letters is something I'm guessing may occur with every game with a stick letter label, since it's already on others. It's pretty easy to spot too.

Phil

The difference between the black one and purple one is the same as the Racquetballs. One is thicker and laminated and the other is thin and feels like a plastic Atari label. The black label is like that. It doesn't have a thick lamination feel but smooth paper thin plastic.

version e) R ©1982, blue label, stick letters, big ™ by Apollo, CART: small letters, notched post

Thanks.

They will be added asap.

http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-2600-vcs-apollo-games-by-apollo_publisher_4_2_G.html

please let me know.

8)

If Phil doesn't have it then I'll be scanning it. I still have most of my collection to go through. ;)

Thanks.

They will be added asap.

please let me know.

8)

If Phil doesn't have it then I'll be scanning it. I still have most of my collection to go through. ;)

Excellent.

Thanks!

8)

Thanks.

They will be added asap.

please let me know.

8)

Excellent.

Thanks!

8)

You're welcome. From a quick look at your site I think you only have the black cart of this:

post-28856-0-34624400-1300526563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Schizophretard

Thanks.

They will be added asap.

please let me know.

8)

Excellent.

Thanks!

8)

You're welcome. From a quick look at your site I think you only have the black cart of this:

Added.

Thanks.

8)

Well, I emailed Rom the updates for Activision and the new Home Run box. I also got my batch of over 25 boxed games that I'm now going through over the next few days. I already discovered what I think is a variation with the 1st Home Run box. I had written that box 1 had Aopak San Francisco on the tiny flap. The new one I have has Bertco Graphics. Though if I'm right, I should have the Aopak version still in stock. I'm going to have to scrutinize it and see if there are actually any differences. Adventure had both of these printers with no apparant differences other than the printers and possibly the color of the tiny flap. No other physical characteristics. I'm wondering if the Home Run will be the same. I'll keep you posted.

Phil

It turned out that there is no difference that I could find between the Bertco Graphics and the Aopak versions of the original Home Run box. This is similar to Adventure and I'll be noting it as such in the listing. Still going through boxes and deciding on whether or not to add a few new variations with the carts. I have a hard time distinguishing between a medium and a small © symbol. It seems the text labels with the "hue" seem to have smaller symbols. By hue I mean if you take Home Run for example. The normal text label would be gold and you can distinguish this as gold color. The "hue" adds sort of a greenish color to it. For others that are normally white, you get a purple "hue" in the letters. When the "hue" is present, it seems the © symbol or ® symbols are smaller than the normal medium size. Sometimes they are so faint that you don't even know they are there unless you take a magnifying glass to them. I'll have to think about this. I'll keep you posted on any other variations I come across with this latest batch.

Phil

Got to Sky Diver. I found the box that has the Rev 4 with the 5 below it. The listing said there was a slight variation from the other Rev 4 version. I never believe anything unless I see it. There actually is a variation with this box. It has to do with the blue background color, which is more pronounced and makes the white product number and Warner Communication line much more clear. There are other blue highlights noticable in the photo, similar to the label that has the blue highlights. I'll be getting a scan up within a day to show everyone. I'm actually impressed with this one.

Also found box version 4 for Maze Craze which has the orange background warranty box with the copyright outside. This will also be added.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Ok, I got a bit confused today. I'm in the process of putting up the Sky Diver box and always compare my personal boxes to keep the better condition. My personal box has the "1" below the Rev 4. The box matches exactly the Rev 4 with the "5" below it. The scan that looks different than these is the one on Atarimania. I'm going to check my other boxes that I have in stock and see what they look like. I'll be moving the "1" below statement to the "5" listing.

Phil