IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

We were rearranging the basement and she piled bags 3 deep, 5 feet high in front of it. So until we can move / go through the bags, I can't get to the cabinet. That also means I can't sell any loose carts unless I have them separated with my boxed ones.

As for Sears, I haven't gotten much support with scans. There are a couple of collectors on here that have an extensive boxed Sears collection who promised me a few years ago they would send me scans, but never did. Rom doesn't have too many either, so what goes up isn't going to be much unless I hit a mother load somewhere. I personally own I think somewhere around 30-32 boxed titles, so will try and do my best with what I have. I think I may need to scan the sides of those too because some of the variation is with the product numbers on the side. We'll see when I get to them.

It looks like hopefully I'll be getting another new computer. I got this one 2 years ago and it's never worked right. I have my 2 year extended warranty with Best Buy that is going to expire in September, so supposedly if they can't fix it (I'll insist on a new one anyway), then I get a free current model.

Phil

• Like 1

Besides the boxed games, I got a couple dozen loose carts. I just found a new Superman error variation. I already have this up live, but I'll show it here anyway. It has a medium ® and large TM with thick font along with the one line notice almost going across the entire label. I tested this to confirm this also was an error. I put this as an R rarity since this is the first time I've ever seen one. Usually they are the normal thin font.

Phil

post-1349-0-19899100-1343596018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1

For some reason I remember seeing someone post about a instruction manual database that a collector has been working on. Can anyone point me out or post a link to the site? I just bought about 300 manuals and have found some new ones not in my variation list document, so I want to compare and see if I have something not on his list.

Also, I finally got ahold of the Riddle of the Sphinx label variant with the 1982 date to the right of the picture. I've had that as the first variation and started to doubt its existance. I'll post it either later today or tomorrow, since I don't have Imagic yet on the variation site.

Phil

• Like 1

Ok, decided to spend an hour or so on the site. I added Exus, First Star, and Froggo to the list. Imagic would have soon been coming, but I'm missing many scans and may wait until I can get to my inventory (mentioned my dilemma above). In the meantime, Rob Fulop's Cubicolor, Konami, and M Network will be coming soon. M Network should be fun since that seems to be ever changing with finding new variations. Short of Atari, it may be the company with the most variants.

I discovered I had 2 files of the label list and was updating the wrong one. So now I have to compare 125 pages side by side to see what new things I've added in the past month. :( Though I'm going to update MS Word document on the site soon, so at least that will be current. I'll see about updating the pdf file too.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1

I finally finished fixing my list to one correct version. I updated it on the website. I also converted it to pdf and updated that on the website too. Hopefully it works. :)

I have another 52 boxed games coming to me, so I'm hoping I find more info to fill in or new variations. I'll keep you posted when they get here.

Phil

• Like 1

I decided to start to put the Atari catalogs in. I've done the first 2, one of which is the extremely difficult to find 1977 2nd version printed in Taiwan. I've come across this one only 1 time, and I can't even tell you where I got it from. But I'm happy to have it in my collection and decided to scan it for all to see.

Phil

• Like 1

Put in catalogs 3 and 4 last night. Today I added catalog 5, which is another rare one that isn't on Atari Age either. It is right before the yellow, 1979 and is light blue. I added catalog 6 also, which is the yellow. I put all the pages of the catalogs on 1 page, so load time might be several seconds. Scanning 36 pages was very time consuming, and actually copying, uploading, and creating the web page is also time consuming. I may begin working on the manuals, or other documentation soon. I think I'll add some more 3rd party companies though first. I'd like to get the M Network up, so I'll work up until then. Imagic will be skipped for now, though I'll just put a blank page. I need to get lots of scans for those. I never scanned Imagic labels because my old scanner did poorly with the silver reflecting. I also did not do the Data Age because I need to get access to those carts too. More with the boxes, but they're currently out of reach.

Phil

• Like 1

Added more companies including Fulop, Konami, Milton Bradley, and just started the M Network. I put in the link showing/describing all the M Network cartridge mold variations already. I should have M Network finished by tomorrow. Figured that should be done first. Imagic was put there, but more as a place holder until I can get to it.

Phil

• Like 1

Got my first batch of boxes today, 11 plus keyboard controllers in the box. I modified the Game of Concentration box listing a little since I finally got one for my collection.

I did find a new Hangman box variation, the ninety limited warranty version. So this has been added and now there are 3 boxed confirmed variations. What I noticed is that the Game Program version 1 box has a TM next to the Hangman title, while the new one I just added doesn't. I put a note on it, in case there are variations of the variations out there. Easier to point out something to watch for.

I also noticed that when I compared the Hangman cartridge picture label, there seems to be a slight variation where the grasshopper on the top left has his leftmost leg out of the top of the picture, while the new one has it in the picture. So I put this also as a new variation.

M Network is taking me a little bit longer than I thought, but added a few more of the titles today. I'll try and get that finished over the next 2 days. I'm just verifying no new variations to be added before putting them up. I've also added the label variation description on the Imagic page, though no titles have been done yet, and also added M Network label variations page with a description between black and white labels. Just for informational purposes. The 9 mold variations page is the one to really pay attention to if you're collecting M Network variations.

1 box down, 10 to look at. I'll post any other info if I find something. I should be getting my 40 box lot in a day or two, so I'm hoping/expecting to find some other variations and also to put more detailed info on the listings. When I mention detailed info, I mean things like standard/glued/tab flaps, who printed the box, Revs, or other little tidbits.

One thing to note is that on the M Network labels, you will see some blank listings, though I have the actual label there. I leave things blank until I can confirm the variation exists. I just don't assume that something from Singapore with no M Network logo molded say for versions v1, v3, and v5 are all the same. If I don't have a v5 to confirm it, it may turn out that the M Network is molded on the cart instead of not being molded. So I don't want to create a variation that doesn't exist. If I confused you here, sorry, but at least I understand my madness.

Decided to edit this while I could. It turns out there is a variation with the Made in USA Frogger box. The variation is on the side of the box where it actually says Made in USA. One version has the PB logo and product number at the top of the box, the other has it on the bottom. I wouldn't doubt there are more variations with the PB box sides out there. It's just a matter of getting them and scanning them. You'll get to see what I have in store for these hopefully in a week or two. I'm working my way to Parker Brothers.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1

Yay! I got my package that had 42 boxes in it. I already see specifics I'll have to do with the Parker Brothers games. Star Wars ESB has several Made in boxes. My personal sealed copy has made in Taiwan. I got another Made in Taiwan and also a Made in Hong Kong. The thing is that the Made in on the SW:ESB box is on the top and bottom flaps, so I'll have to scan those too. I haven't gotten to finish the M Network yet as I just got ahold of a couple of dozen 1940s and 1950s comic books from my friend that I had to get on Ebay.

Phil

• Like 1

Got some variations and am still going through more. I'll let you know which new ones are in. I have a multilanguage Circus Atari that I didn't have and also the orange background warranty box for Home Run, which is probably very rare to get. Scans and updates will happen this weekend.

Phil

• Like 1

I'll be putting up a Home Run box with the orange warranty box and copyright outside the box. This is version 6. I also discovered a new Home Run label which has orange letters (not the usual gold) with a gold letter end label. It looks like version a, but the ® is smaller, either medium or small. Have to compare it with other carts. These will be posted tonight.

Phil

• Like 1

I'm looking to finish the few new variations I have this weekend. That goes with finishing M Network, as I just found the INTV version box of Lock n Chase. I've started working on manuals. User32 has helped me a little, but he didn't go indepth as I thought he did. He keeps only 1 version of say a black manual, where Space Invaders may have 6 versions. So I can cut down my scan time a little, but not as much as I hoped.

I do have a method as to how I'm going to add the manuals. On the main page where the table has the game cartridge link and box link, I'm adding the manual link. If I click say Adventure Manuals, it will take me to either one of two types of pages. I'm trying to keep the site as user friendly as possible, but also as efficient as possible with as little clicking as needed. Adventure has 3 different manuals. So instead of putting all 3 on the same page, I'll make an intermediate page with the three manuals listed.

So it will read:

Adventure Manual A

Adventure Manual B

Adventure Manual C

You will then click one of the three Adventure Manuals and it will take you to the page that shows that particular manual only.

If there is a game that has only one known manual released, then when you click from the main table, it will take you directly to the manual instead of the intermediate page. I'm thinking of doing that also if a game has 2 known manuals and there aren't too many pages.

Alpha Beam Ernie has one known manual of 24 pages. So I'll click from the main table to that page of 24 pages of the manual. In this case, if a second known manual is found, I will create an intermediate page because 24 scans on one page is alot, but doubling that would be way too many scans for loading the page.

If you're wondering why I don't do thumbnails like Atari Age or Atariguide goes page by page, I like seeing the scans one after another. Plus like I said user friendly, so I believe it is better to wait 10-15 seconds for a page to load rather than having to click 24 times to view each individual page. Plus in this day and age, the speeds of the internet are so high that 99% of us have a high speed internet connection. I personally don't know anyone with dial up anymore.

I most likely will bounce around when working on the manual listings. I'll try and work on 3rd party companies that have few titles, so they'll be finished quickly and you'll get a feel for what the site will look like. I'll post my progress on here so you can follow exactly what I'm doing.

I think as a collector of variations, those of you out there will appreciate my site the most in the long run. It will be the most comprehensive. Atari Age seems to only list 1 copy of a manual, possibly one more if the variation is totally different, say a red label version of a black label release. Atarimania has been adding instruction manuals slowly, but doesn't seem to have much as I discovered working on the first few titles. Atariguide seems to have the most overall, and I'll probably use some of his scans when I have nothing. The problem is that his watermark many times covers up the vital information in identifying the manuals. I wish he had put the watermark in a more obscure place, like blank areas where no writing is on the scan.

Anyway, again this is a monumental task that is going to take many many months to complete. I've been working on my photo site now for I think 3 years. It's come a long way but has not been complete. Scanning is the most time consuming and that is mainly why this has taken so long. Also, sometimes I can't stay focused. So please be patient and if you have any additions, contact me. Thanks.

Phil

• Like 1

Here it is! My first instruction manual section. I decided to do Lock 'n' Chase for no real reason short of it was the next game in the M Network table to add. I'm linking the M Network page itself so you can see how the column format is going to be. Cartridge / Manual / Box. I'll try and get the rest of these up within a week. I'll probably have to scan several manuals.

http://www.videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/mnetwork.htm

As mentioned before, if a game has 2 or more manuals, there will be an intermediate page. Lock 'n' Chase is the first example so you can see exactly what I'm referring to. When you click the link "Lock 'N' Chase Manuals", it brings you to a page that lists 3 manuals. Each Manual has a link, so you can click MANUAL A, MANUAL B, or MANUAL C, which then brings you to that specific manual page showing all the scans of that variation. I think it works rather well.

Anyway, I'll update the thread as I post more items to the site. I'll try and finish M Network in the next few days adding manuals too.

Phil

• Like 1