IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

3 titles to go to finish the Atari section as of this posting. The actual list will be updated both MS Word and pdf file upon my finishing the last 3 titles, which should be within 24 hours. There was a lot more work than I anticipated, thus it going extremely slow. I've been adding and shifting variations, so you'll see some differences than the one up there at the moment. I probably won't get to Activision until Friday. I may spend a bit of time pointing out specific details with closeups for some of the Atari variations already completed before starting Activision. I want to make sure everyone understands what they're reading and trying to look at. Even sometimes I'm confused.

Anyway, check it over. See if I made any errors, or any picture links are broken. Also, if you have any missing scans of main and/or end labels or boxes, I'd appreciate if if you could get me those. One I'd really like to get is the end label color border for the 21 Video Olympics. Thanks for the support and help from anyone who's been sending me info and scans.

Phil

I just put a better explanation for Warlords and Video Pinball with zoomed in scans and arrows. I think I'll go ahead with Activision at this time and maybe drop an Atari zoomed in explanation once in awhile. Unless someone is really confused, I won't make this a priority.

Phil

I started to do Activision today and so far have the first 9 titles up. What I have a problem with is that one of the collectors on here gave me an extremely detailed list of Activision boxes for the list. The problem is, I have no scans to back up what is written. I'm missing tons of the box scans for many titles. If anyone can provide me with these alternate box scans, I would appreciate it. Both front and back. Some of the original titles have an average of 5-6 different boxes, and I only have 1 or 2 of them. It makes the site look very incomplete. Atarimania doesn't even have them. So if anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you want to do them as I put up the title, then we could work in stages, or else you can wait a few days until I complete the 45 listings and then see what I'm missing. I'm hoping to acquire a couple of different boxes from some games I recently ordered.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's extremely easy to get busy with other things. It's been over 3 months since I said I was going to finish Activision. Well, I didn't do it, but decided tonight to get back to it. I've added the next 2 titles, not much, but at least it moves forward.

Due to the tedious nature of this project, I decided to only work on what I have and then when I'm all done, go back and see if there are new entries for carts or boxes. I was spending too much time double checking myself. It's probably easier for those of you on here to do that for me after the initial listings are up. Like the Pacman last entry, which I just added. So if an entry is up on the site and you have scans of a box or cart that is not there in the listing, then send them to me and I'll update it. I think it'll go alot smoother.

You'd think with no job I'd have lots of time on my hands, but I've been doing other things like the comics I so mentioned in my last post.

So if you have any additions to the companies/titles listed, contact me and I'll get them up. Else I'll just keep on moving. I'd like to get Activision done soon. Many of the 3rd party companies are not going to take much time since most have very few titles. Coleco, M Network, Imagic and Parker Brothers will probably be the most tedious after Activision. I will be adding the Coleco titles that have the CBS label under the CBS section sometime in the future. Probably after I'm finished with everything else.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this is crazy! I happened to look at this topic because I am culling my collection and decided to give label variations the boot first. Your list has been very helpful. Are there any label variations that are really really rare? (Aside from the Sears pic label Superman, I guess.) What would be kind of neat is to try for a top-10 rarest label variations or something of the sort. Even in my own collection, I cannot believe the number of differences I am finding. I never knew that Swordquest Earthworld had a re-release until I happened upon it in a drawer and noted the font difference and 1986 date. I am sure I have sold some rarer label variations by accident over the years, sigh.

Are there any label variations that are really really rare? (Aside from the Sears pic label Superman, I guess.)

As far as major variations go, the Atari Inc. pic-label-with-green-text Flag Capture is quite rare. The Atari Corp pic Flag Capture, Black Jack, and Fun with Numbers are fairly rare.

• 1 month later...

I put a C, U, or R next to the cartridge variations, though sometimes it doesn't do justice. If you're in doubt with any variation's rarity, just ask on here. Many collectors know what is really rare.

I discovered a few new variations on boxes that I've updated on the site and made appropriate adjustments with the listings. Breakout, Street Racer, and Surround boxes now have versions that have both glued and standard flap variations. I made a couple of purchases in the past week and received them. Any new acquisitions are scrutinized against the list to see if they are variations on what is already out there.

I apologize about not getting Activision complete, nor advancing any further with other 3rd party companies. I also acquired some scans of carts I didn't have, though they are from Sears. Tank Plus and Pong Sports have been updated on the list. I'm hoping to put more time into the photo site this coming week. I'm working on Ebay listings at this time, trying to get some money. There has been heavy activity on boxed games lately, especially my sealed 7800 games. I've actually run out of several titles I had quantities of 6-12 on. Many games are now going overseas.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Can anyone confirm something I discovered today? On the original 1982 Ms. Pac-Man box, I have a copy that is glued at the ends, but does not have the flap hang tag. It also does not tuck in, so once it's open, it stays open. First off, is there a tucked in standard version of this box? Please check your inventory. Second, is there a glued flap hang tag version of this box? It must be the 1982 box only, not the later ones. I want to find out if there are other variations of this box. The version I have says Rev2 on the flap, so that leads me to believe there are other versions of this box. If you do own another version, please scan both front and back of the box and email to me.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Guess no one found anything with the Ms. Pac-man.

After fixing the goof-up I made with the Frontpage 2000, I'm back adding the variations. I put up 6 more titles in the past week under Activision. I'm extremely disappointed that I was informed over a year ago of all the different Activision box variations, mainly with the address on the back, but I'm lacking photos of many of these. Please review what I have up on the site so far, and what I'll continue to put up this week. If you own any boxes I don't have scans of, please scan them and email me both front and back. I'd really appreciate it. I added a couple myself with some purchases I made recently, but don't have the money nor the room to keep buying boxed games unless they are cheap. (hint: if you want to sell boxed games cheap contact me) :)

Phil

After Activision in alphabetical order, there were a few small companies with only a handful of releases. I decided to add these before completing Activision, just to give the viewer something else to look at. I'm trying to acquire the Joyboard box for Mogul Maniac from Rom, so that page should be changing in the next couple of days.

Phil

After many, many hours, I have finally finished Activision. The amount of variations in both cartridge and box is great. I think Skiing has the most boxes, 10 listings with 8 verified photos. It's amazing as to what is out there. Like mentioned earlier, I finished other smaller companies after Activision, which were Answer, American Videogame, and Amiga. I may take a break for a few days and would like to continue this coming week. Next will be Apollo, Avalon Hill, and Bomb. When I reach CBS games, I won't be including the Coleco released versions in this section YET. I think once the entire site is finished with all companies listed, I'll go back and add these games in. I'm not looking to do any research either as to missing variations at the moment. If anyone out there sees I am missing a variation and either sends me scans or points me to a site with scans, like Atarimania, then I'll add them before finishing the website. Else, I'll just input everything I have and worry about updates here and there afterwards.

Again, anyone with Sears box scans that I don't have on the list, or I'm missing with no * next to the box number, I'd appreciate getting those. I don't want to have too many holes in this site. I figure the majority of items I'll be adding in the future will be foreign label variations. I'm missing many end labels for the Activision foreign labels, white labels, and black labels. If you have scans of end labels that I show as needing, please scan them and email me. I hope you enjoy and utilize the website. I'm having a blast doing it, though it's a lot of work and I spend hours and hours on it. Creating the original variation list was a task, and a good portion of that was already complete. Doing this site is even more work.

Phil

Apollo has begun, and should be done relatively soon (within an hour or so if my wife doesn't drag me away from the computer). With the snow here in NJ and pretty much many other states, it gives me a little time to stay in the house and work on the site. I feel much progress is coming along now that I've gotten over the Activision hump. There aren't too many other companies that will give me problems. Coleco, Imagic, Parker Brothers, and Xonox a little, M Network and Sears should be my new banes. Anyway, if you see anything wrong with the site, mainly typos, let me know. I'm trying to work as fast as I can without making mistakes, but one or two may slip by once in awhile.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...