IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

I just wanted to give an update on things. I've been working hours every day on the site. Been doing the boxes only at this time. When all the Atari boxes are complete, I'm going to update the pdf file of the giant list. It won't be totally up to date, but at least it will have better accuracy than what it shows now. I decided to get rid of the MS Word document. I guess if anyone wants it, they can contact me.

What I decided to do was become totally accurate with the scans. I am not listing anything based on rumor anymore. If it exists, you'll either see the scan, or if I don't have a scan, there will be the black "no box image available" in its place. This means I've verified the existence of this variant, but the picture/scan I saw is no good to show. There are some scans that are based on photos. These are sort of good, but if anyone can provide me with nice flat scans instead, that would be great.

I anticipate within the next 3 days to have finished all the Atari made boxes. I am then going to post the entire list of either scans I need that exist, or list boxes I think should exist based on having cartridges put out those same years. You can refer to the actual title box page to see if the item exists or if I'm guessing it should. The list will be rather long, my guess at least 75 boxes. To think with all the years I've been doing this and all the help I've gotten, there are still this many variations probably still out there that no one has documented.

Phil

Something occurred to me last night when looking at Stargate and Defender II. This is probably more of a reason to document when boxes were printed, as this will give a good idea on when a specific variation came out. Stargate had been on the market for 4 years and was still produced in the US in 1987. Defender II according to Atarimania documentation had a 1987 PAL release, but didn't put out an NTSC version until 1988. That should mean that Defender II came out in the foreign market before the US. The only reason I can think this, was possibly a good stock of Stargate was still sitting in Atari warehouses in the US and they wanted these to get absorbed into the market before putting out the new title.

Putting the printer date on PAL releases is also important for the fact that it gives an indication how long after the US release was it available for foreign markets in PAL format. Since I don't have much access to PAL boxes, I couldn't take on this task with my site. But it may be a suggestion to use both my site with all the printers/dates in conjunction with another site, maybe Atariboxed who may be willing to put info like this so people can see and compare all the information.

I've been told by several people that all the work I'm doing is not really appreciated by the community. I posted another thread giving my opinion on sites like mine and actually no one responded. It's possible that few people do appreciate or use my site. But that doesn't stop me from working on it. I love doing this. My wife gets mad sometimes because I'm spending so many hours doing so. But again, I LOVE doing this. I find it so interesting about all this information that I'm willing to go outside and sit in a store and open flaps just to check and add all this info. So hopefully you get something out of my site. Just the fact I'm listing all these variations on one easy page has helped collectors learn and then try to acquire these variations.

I'll be posting the list of all needed scans and asking about boxes in existence in a few days. Hopefully there are some of you out there who are going to help me out. I'm also going to detail about the printer flaps after I'm done with the boxes. I'll probably need to create a separate page for them as I want to show any and all type of flap so anyone can learn how to read and identify the printers and dates.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Ok, I'm pretty much done updating all the boxes for the Atari made games. I've added loads of new variations that I found. I need to incorporate a few of the Pak no frills generic white boxes on some of the titles, which I'll do tomorrow. When that is finished, I will post the entire list of boxes that I need scans for or I think should exist. I'll explain that when I post the list.

Phil

Ok, here is the list of box scans I need for Atari made games. Anything that has been confirmed to exist, when you go on the page for the boxes of a specific title, you will see the black box that says "no box image available". This means that I have seen a scan or photo of this box variation, but it wasn't usable. If there is no listing for the variations at all, it means that there probably should be a variant for that specific year, but I have found no evidence for it. So unless there is the black place holder photo, anything listed below is an educated guess.

Adventure 1986, 1987

Alpha Beam with Ernie 1986 (other Sesame Street titles have 1986 releases)

Asteroids 1987

Backgammon 1986 (grey box?)

Basic Programming no frills generic box from Back to School Pak

Basketball 1986

Big Bird 1986

Black Jack 1986 grey box

Brain Games no frills generic box from Back to School Pak

Breakout no frills generic box from Action Pak

Canyon Bomber 1986

Centipede Red Box, 1985, and 1986

Cookie Monster 1986 (other Sesame Street titles have 1986)

Crossbow 1987 Printed in China/Made in Hong Kong

Defender 1985

Desert Falcon 1987 Printed in Taiwan, 1987 Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Dig Dug 1985, 1986

Dodge 'Em no frills generic box from Action Pak

Donkey Kong 1987 Printed in Taiwan

Donkey Kong Jr 1987 Printed in Taiwan

ET 1986 Printed in Taiwan

Galaxian 1987 Made in China

Golf 1986 grey box

Gremlins 1984 Made in Taiwan sticker

Haunted House 1986

Indy 500 no frills generic box from Racing Pak

Joust 1985, 1986, 1987

Jungle Hunt 1985

Kangaroo 1985, 1986

Math Gran Prix 1986

Maze Craze 1986 grey box

Midnight Magic 1987 sticker Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Millipede 1984 8 languages Made in Taiwan; 1987 red box Made in Hong Kong?; 1987 red box Made in Taiwan/Printed in Taiwan

Missile Command 1985, 1986, 1991

Mouse Trap 1987

Ms Pac-Man 1985, 1987 Made in Hong Kong

Night Driver 1986 grey, 1987?

Oscar's Trash Race 1983 Made in USA, 1986

Outlaw 1985, 1986 grey box

Pengo 1986, 1987

Phoenix 1985, 1987

Pigs in Space 1986

Pole Position 1982 6 languages "warranty" sticker; 1987 Made in Hong Kong; 1988 red box Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Raiders of the Lost Ark 1986

Realsports Baseball 1986, 1987

Realsports Football 1986

Realsports Soccer 1986; 1988 red box Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Realsports Tennis 1986 Made in Taiwan; 1987 Printed in Hong Kong

Realsports Volleyball 1988 red box Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Space War 1986

Star Raiders 1987

Street Racer 1986

Super Breakout 1988 Made in Hong Kong

Swordquest Earthworl 1987

Swordquest Fireworkd 1986

Taz 1986

Vanguard 1986

Video Olympics 1978 white warranty with date inside glued flap style box; 1986

Yars Revenge 1986, 1988

Also, can anyone tell me about the "Video Game Program" boxes in this listing? The orange I think is the Indy 500 box we have on the site. I'm assuming the other 3 were part of the original 9 released in this type of box. I asked the seller if he could let me know, but haven't heard back. I don't know who the buyer was, but if I wasn't currently unemployed, it would have been me. I'm assuming the yellow is Video Olympics, the green is Black Jack, and the red is either Combat or Air Sea Battle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIB-Box-Atari-Collection-2600-2-Woodgrain-Console-1-Darth-Vader-many-games-/221826756842?ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&nma=true&si=2%252BwvfC3vI5yRKRS1XY2lf9F9C50%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Philflound

Just got the 1986 Backgammon box. This one seems to have eluded everyone as I've never seen one and could never get a scan. Rumor had it was a grey box. One I picked up is brown and looks like the original release. I also picked up the 1987 Realsports Baseball Printed in Hong Kong box. Backgammon is already live on its page. BB will be up by tomorrow.

Phil

I recently picked up some complete games from later releases and noticed that the printer and date on the box seem to correspond with the printer / date on the instruction manual. This may be a great way to match exact boxes with their respective manuals for those who want to keep things together. I'm talking about of course if you have a box without a manual or vice versa. If you visit Atarimania, you can see which cart belongs with which box. This should work for 1985-up releases for silver,grey, and red labels/boxes.

Indy 500 Ninety Day Warranty is confirmed. I have also found 2 new Superman variations with the white warranty boxes copyright inside and outside. Ms Pac-Man 1987 Printed in Hong Kong / Made in China has also been confirmed. I'm trying to confirm an Off the Wall box variation.

Discovered Apollo, Data Age and Epyx also have printers and printed dates on their boxes. I'll be adding those too. Added some more info for Activision and Coleco boxes pertaining to printers.

Phil

Just wanted to give an update. I'm fixing the list since the one on the site is very outdated and missing info. I'll be updating it soon, though it may not have all the new info on there. It will have most of the items that are shown on the site and hopefully by the end of the weekend, I can double check everything to make sure it's totally accurate. I'll post when I'm confident that I'm "finished" with everything shown vs everything on the list. I'll then get back to adding the rest of the 3rd party companies. I'm hoping to have this done by the end of the summer.

I went back and did a search on the forums as to when I actually started this site. I ran across the thread that discussed when I began modifying the list back in 10/04. Almost 11 years since I took on this monumental task. The site went live on 1/09, though I had been accumulating scans for at least a year prior. So I've been working on photos for over 7 years.

I may make a page linking from the Atari 2600 main page that has a list of all missing scans. This way I don't have to keep posting a long list here. So far I only put the Atari boxes I'm missing, but the list will include all carts and manuals when I finally get to those, and also all 3rd party items.

Phil

The giant list is now live again. It's easy to access from the Atari 2600 home page. I put only a pdf file. It loads in about 10 seconds or so on my computer and my internet isn't the fastest anymore. I'm pretty sure the info is at least 95% accurate, but I'm going through line by line over the next few days to make sure that whatever is in the document corresponds to whatever is shown in the photos. I want no discrepancies. I'll reply again in a few days when I'm confident that all is kosher. If after that, you see any errors, please let me know. Everything should be aligned correctly as I went through each line to make sure columns were straight and such. The only issue I still have is Bachelor Party where the product number won't line up under the title Model #. I've tried to fix this several times in different ways, but it won't move over for some reason. Once I'm done double checking all my listings, I may go back and try to fix this again. As promised, I'll be moving on to the other 3rd party software companies I have yet to complete. Lots of work ahead. We've come a long way.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is the list of box scans I need for Atari made games. Anything that has been confirmed to exist, when you go on the page for the boxes of a specific title, you will see the black box that says "no box image available". This means that I have seen a scan or photo of this box variation, but it wasn't usable. If there is no listing for the variations at all, it means that there probably should be a variant for that specific year, but I have found no evidence for it. So unless there is the black place holder photo, anything listed below is an educated guess.

Adventure 1986, 1987

Alpha Beam with Ernie 1986 (other Sesame Street titles have 1986 releases)

Asteroids 1987

Backgammon 1986 (grey box?)

Basic Programming no frills generic box from Back to School Pak

Basketball 1986

Big Bird 1986

Black Jack 1986 grey box

Brain Games no frills generic box from Back to School Pak

Breakout no frills generic box from Action Pak

Canyon Bomber 1986

Centipede Red Box, 1985, and 1986

Cookie Monster 1986 (other Sesame Street titles have 1986)

Crossbow 1987 Printed in China/Made in Hong Kong

Defender 1985

Desert Falcon 1987 Printed in Taiwan, 1987 Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Dig Dug 1985, 1986

Dodge 'Em no frills generic box from Action Pak

Donkey Kong 1987 Printed in Taiwan

Donkey Kong Jr 1987 Printed in Taiwan

ET 1986 Printed in Taiwan

Galaxian 1987 Made in China

Golf 1986 grey box

Gremlins 1984 Made in Taiwan sticker

Haunted House 1986

Indy 500 no frills generic box from Racing Pak

Joust 1985, 1986, 1987

Jungle Hunt 1985

Kangaroo 1985, 1986

Math Gran Prix 1986

Maze Craze 1986 grey box

Midnight Magic 1987 sticker Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Millipede 1984 8 languages Made in Taiwan; 1987 red box Made in Hong Kong?; 1987 red box Made in Taiwan/Printed in Taiwan

Missile Command 1985, 1986, 1991

Mouse Trap 1987

Ms Pac-Man 1985, 1987 Made in Hong Kong

Night Driver 1986 grey, 1987?

Oscar's Trash Race 1983 Made in USA, 1986

Outlaw 1985, 1986 grey box

Pengo 1986, 1987

Phoenix 1985, 1987

Pigs in Space 1986

Pole Position 1982 6 languages "warranty" sticker; 1987 Made in Hong Kong; 1988 red box Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Raiders of the Lost Ark 1986

Realsports Baseball 1986, 1987

Realsports Football 1986

Realsports Soccer 1986; 1988 red box Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Realsports Tennis 1986 Made in Taiwan; 1987 Printed in Hong Kong

Realsports Volleyball 1988 red box Printed in Hong Kong/Made in China

Space War 1986

Star Raiders 1987

Street Racer 1986

Super Breakout 1988 Made in Hong Kong

Swordquest Earthworl 1987

Swordquest Fireworkd 1986

Taz 1986

Vanguard 1986

Video Olympics 1978 white warranty with date inside glued flap style box; 1986

Yars Revenge 1986, 1988

Also, can anyone tell me about the "Video Game Program" boxes in this listing? The orange I think is the Indy 500 box we have on the site. I'm assuming the other 3 were part of the original 9 released in this type of box. I asked the seller if he could let me know, but haven't heard back. I don't know who the buyer was, but if I wasn't currently unemployed, it would have been me. I'm assuming the yellow is Video Olympics, the green is Black Jack, and the red is either Combat or Air Sea Battle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIB-Box-Atari-Collection-2600-2-Woodgrain-Console-1-Darth-Vader-many-games-/221826756842?ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&nma=true&si=2%252BwvfC3vI5yRKRS1XY2lf9F9C50%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I have:

Canyon Bomber 1986 grey box (pic cart w/paddles)

Indy 500 white generic box from Racing Pak

Millipede, silver, no TM 1987 Made in Taiwan ( not listed on your page)

Super Breakout 1988 made in Hong Kong , printed in Hong Kong multi-lingual (looks like you have it)

how should I scan these any preferences ?

shoot me a PM or link preferences if already outlined :)

I'd rather not un-glue but if you have good instructions how to open/re-glue for printing codes on bottom flap I'll get you them details as well

I'm editing a separate thread of all scans I need, which will be here. There are others on this list now, new ones I found out. So for future reference, if you look to see what I'm missing, it'll be on this page. I'll be adding carts and manuals eventually to it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240778-atari-box-scans-i-need/

You can email me any scans at pdispenza@verizon.net. I modify the picture to 600 pixels wide, but you can send me the full scan, both front and back of box. There are probably many scans still unknown out there, so I'm not surprised about your Millipede. In the past month, I discovered a good 15 or so boxes I never knew existed. I'm missing quite a few Activision boxes, so if you can help out there, I'd appreciate it.

As for opening the flaps, I don't advise it. Boxes that I get that are damaged, I usually don't care and try to carefully open it. I actually use school glue to reseal them and it works rather well. Also, sometimes I can peek if the bottom isn't too flat and see the printer and date. I think it's always the left side if you are looking at the box from the front, Whatever you do, don't ruin your boxes for info sake. Eventually I'll probably come across the information. Thanks for helping.

Phil

Was digging through my boxed games to sell and came across a Stampede with the white foam protector. This is a first for this game to my knowledge and I'm adding it as a variation. Problem is that I can't get the game to work. You have to laugh that these foams were there to keep the game working as an extra protection.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to keep everyone updated. I decided to work on manuals for a while. At the moment I'm acquiring or scanning every manual I can find, working on the smaller companies and Atari at the moment. I'm finishing up Apollo. I'm not putting anything on the website yet though. Just getting everything ready. Making sure everything is readable (hopefully) and in the correct size format. I also decided to upload all my photos to my google drive in case something happens to my computer and backup drive. Funny thing is that everything I have so far doesn't seem to even add up to 1 GB of space yet. So don't fret if you don't see anything updated on the site. Still trying to work on moving to Florida too.

Phil

• 1 month later...

I picked up variations for Superman box 5 and 6 today. Had to wait for a slight sale to grab them. I was trying to peel the labels off, but it seemed to create minor damage. I was looking for my Goo Gone, but can't find any, so what I'll do is scan the boxes as is, then pick up Goo Gone tomorrow or Sunday and if I can remove the labels safely, will take new scans of the back of the boxes. These are both white warranty background, one with copyright inside, the other copyright outside. I'll get these up within the next 1/2 hour.

Phil

Got delayed but finally finished the last 2 games for Apollo manuals, Space Cavern and Spacechase. So Apollo is finished completely unless someone can come up with any new variations for cart, manual, or box.

I may be on hiatus for a couple of months completely if things work out for me. I'll keep everyone posted if I have to wait until after New Years to get back to work on the site. I just didn't want to leave the Apollo section incomplete.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Just to update on this thread. I'm moving to Florida at the end of this week. This is what the last post was about, applying for a job and I was offered it. Once down there, my wife will be back in NJ to continue packing. This should give me a lot of free time as I don't have to drive her around shopping and such, so I can finally get working on the site. While cleaning and packing up my computer room, I finally came across my Microsoft 2000, so I have Front Page once again. I'll decide whether or not to use it. I'm also happy that I have MS Access as I put in my video game collection and made my missing games/boxes/manuals query to make my life easy. I need to continue to finish that too. If all goes well, we'll be buying our home by late spring. I'm hoping and praying that things work out. This has been a journey that has had more downs that ups.

Phil

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Updates. I bought a moving truck (small cube truck) and was on my 3rd trip down. This was 3 weeks ago. Truck caught fire. I lost half my stuff on the truck along with the truck itself, and sustained minor burns on 2 fingers. This load was all my ebay stuff, and I lost about 17 long boxes of comics along with other items. Good thing is that the Atari stuff for the most part didn't get damaged. A little smoke smell on some of the stuff and one copy of Ice Hockey has a light brown stain on the box. The move is taking much longer than I wanted and I'm now at a dilemma on how to get the rest of the stuff down. My wife and I are throwing ideas out there. I'm hoping to make another trip within a few weeks. One good thing is that I'm lucky to be alive as I believe that the fire was already going while I was driving, but since I had so much stuff packed together, it didn't have oxygen to burn. Also, I jumped on the truck several times, that's how I got hurt, and supposedly fell 3 times according to the sheriff who was there helping me. Kept tossing stuff out hoping to save as much as possible. Thing is, every time I filled the gas tank, the hose from the nozzle area to the tank dripped a bit. It also ran down to the tank. Had the fire reached that area, it probably would have exploded. So i'm grateful I'm still here, though it took a toll physically, emotionally, and financially. I need this whole thing to be over. I'm hoping to celebrate Christmas this year in my own house (need to find one) for the first time in at least 10 years.

I modified a couple of listings from a recent small purchase. Have not worked on it otherwise for the fact I'm trying to work extra hours, and I'm trying to change the bags/boards on the saved comics and cleanup the salvaged items with new bags and boxes. Just more work for me. Anyway, thanks for your patience.

Phil

whoa :o

sorry to hear about your difficulty but glad you were able to post.

will be looking for good news in this thread with thoughts & prayers heading your way ;)

Here's the full story as I posted it the following day.

https://www.facebook.com/Philflound/posts/10207624437501719

I don't do facebook sorry

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

• 1 month later...

Won't bother with complaining about my newest venture to get moved down to Florida as my finances have taken another hit. What I do want to say is that I found 2 new variations that I did not have on my want list.

Indy 500 white warranty box with copyright inside the box

Super Breakout: 90 day warranty with Made in Taiwan silver sticker over the Printed in USA and it also includes the multi-language manual.

(These 2 will be put live on the site sometime this weekend)

I'm going through more boxed games I received this week in a batch I bought, so I may find more variations I hope. I've added several printers and/or dates to already existing variations. I'm working on compiling as complete information as I can. Have been adding some 3rd party printer/date info too with Coleco, Activision, and Data Age. Eventually when I get settled down here (hoping by next year) with my own house, I'll be unpacking my collection once again and going through all the info I can add to what I'm missing. I mentioned in the other thread that I've begun adding the title pages to the rest of the 3rd party companies. I plan on having at least the title pages finished within the week and will begin working on getting the carts/boxes for everything that I can within a few months. Manuals will again take some time, but easier titles with 1 or 2 manuals may get finished at the same time as the carts and boxes. I've done that with some small 3rd party software companies already.

I actually didn't mention this about my job here in Florida, but I'm working as a comic book grader for CGC. Anyone knows about this company will understand exactly what I'm doing. I'm a pre-grader, which means I see the comics first. I count pages, check for any missing pages, pieces cut out, make sure the book is original, check for writing, put all the details on the computer about the book's flaws, then assign it a grade. It then moves on to another grader, who pretty much does the same. At the end, someone gives it the official grade and it gets sent off to be sealed in the holder and sent back to the customer. I worked for this company back in 2001 in the slab room sealing the books. I probably should have come down with the company back then, but made the decision not to teach, but work grading comics. Longer work hours and less pay, but it's fun seeing all the great vintage comics that come in.

I don't handle the really expensive stuff. At least not yet. Majority of items I grade are estimated under $500, but I've seen some really expensive books in the past 4 months. This is a dream job where I don't look at the clock and time just passes rapidly throughout the day. Sometimes there is history behind books including names written in or on the book of original owners 60-70 years ago, store stamps and puzzles filled out. I have lots of fun.

Anyway, jumped off the topic, but I'll be looking through the rest of my boxes to see if anything else is new. Sad part is the Indy 500 back of the box is a bit faded. Wish I had a better version to scan, but at least there will be something to show.

Phil

• Like 1