IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

Well, unless there is an actual label/cart variation, there really wouldn't be anything to show on the photo website. With Superman, there was a change with the label going from 1 line to 2 line copyright with the text label. The "error" description was put with the 1 line notice, but that actually is a variation with the label/cart. If there was a correct version of Superman and they did not change the label, I probably would have written in the description something like: "there is both an error and correct program with this label" and then proceed to explain what the error was.

If it turns out that the Asteroid with the copyright notice and one without it have an exact label/cart with no physical difference, then I will not create a separate listing for the copyright notice. I would probably modify the listing that has both programming features and mention it. I may also say whether or not one version is rarer than another based on what I have in stock. Since I probably own a good 20 copies or so of Asteroids, I can get a general feel if one version is rarer than another. I may have even more than 20, but I think I weeded out some of the stock for Albert a few years back.

Sly, if you can point out exactly what differences each of those games you listed are, I'd appreciate it. I'm always happy to add information to the list for collectors to know and if they choose to do so, collect one of each.

I finished Commavid and will actually go ahead and do Data Age, DSD, Epyx, Exus, First Star, Froggo, and Fulop (Rob) over the next few days since they are all small. I'm stopping at Imagic because I need to do a decent amount of scanning for that. Rom Hunter told me he hasn't pursued Imagic much due to the reflectivity of the labels and boxes. Getting quality scans of Imagic titles may prove a bit rough, but I'm hoping for the best.

Phil

When I get to my Asteroids carts, I'll let you know what I find. I think you meant the other "three", but I understood what you were saying. I'm adding the Data Age games and started them last night. I actually included the side of the box for a couple of titles because that is where the physical difference lies.

Phil

I'm having trouble telling the difference between the Asteroids variations with the bottom asteroid fully inside the picture. I don't see the difference in the cx numbers. The only difference I see is one of mine has a thicker font on the end label.

When you click the Asteroids Cartridges link, I zoom in with arrows to show variation a as having only 1/2 the asteroid in the bottom of the picture, and variation b has the full asteroid in the bottom of the picture. Thought this was self explanatory.

As for the CX, if you look at the hole in the number "9" in variation b, it is blackened in, in variation c it is color light blue, which is looking at the "9" as if you were seeing through the hole at the picture. Variation d also has a blue inside the "9" hole, but you can tell that the font is thinner than variation c and there is a blue outline surrounding the CX number.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

What am I looking for on the brown and grey or blue planes on Sky Diver?

If you look at variation d, the bottom wing of the tipped plane on the right has a white/grey tone as does the stripe on the plane underneath it. If you look at variation e, the tipped plane bottom wing has a blue tone to it along with the stripe being blue on the plane underneath it.

BTW, I got sidetracked with doing other stuff and didn't finish Data Age and the other 3rd party companies that I mentioned a few days ago. Bought some more merchandise I need to get on Ebay.

Phil

I'm having trouble telling the difference between the Asteroids variations with the bottom asteroid fully inside the picture. I don't see the difference in the cx numbers. The only difference I see is one of mine has a thicker font on the end label.

When you click the Asteroids Cartridges link, I zoom in with arrows to show variation a as having only 1/2 the asteroid in the bottom of the picture, and variation b has the full asteroid in the bottom of the picture. Thought this was self explanatory.

As for the CX, if you look at the hole in the number "9" in variation b, it is blackened in, in variation c it is color light blue, which is looking at the "9" as if you were seeing through the hole at the picture. Variation d also has a blue inside the "9" hole, but you can tell that the font is thinner than variation c and there is a blue outline surrounding the CX number.

Phil

The self explanatory part I didn't have a problem with but focusing on the 9 on the other variations is helpful. Thanks. I need to purchase a magnifying glass. What about the different size fonts on the end labels? I have one with a thick font.

What am I looking for on the brown and grey or blue planes on Sky Diver?

If you look at variation d, the bottom wing of the tipped plane on the right has a white/grey tone as does the stripe on the plane underneath it. If you look at variation e, the tipped plane bottom wing has a blue tone to it along with the stripe being blue on the plane underneath it.

BTW, I got sidetracked with doing other stuff and didn't finish Data Age and the other 3rd party companies that I mentioned a few days ago. Bought some more merchandise I need to get on Ebay.

Phil

I have five Sky Divers. They have different degrees of fading and one has a double exposure look like one of the E.T. variations. I keep focusing on the tip of the plane and can't decide if they are all blue. If they were gray would the difference be obvious even with fading?

I think there is a typo below because my version a is Picred1 and the note says they have the same labels.

Jr. Pac-Man Cartridges

version a)* R PicBr1 ©1986, CART2, Taiwan, ML: “26123”, EL: plastic

version b)* R Picred1 ©1986, CART3, Taiwan, “P” sticker on back, PAL

NOTE: versions a & b have the same main and end labels, but the cartridge protector is different

Also, either your end label scan is incorrect or I have a different end label variation. Yours has TM after Jr. Pac-Man and mine has a star.

post-28856-129972939188_thumb.jpg

post-28856-129972940723_thumb.jpg

I'll have to check into the Jr Pacman thing. I'll look at yours and others. It could be a possible typo. Magnifying glass could be useful. I have one myself. I'd have to see the "double exposure" in a scan. Fading is a common thing, especially if sunlight hit it over years. Look at the stripes of the plane that is flying horizontal and you should eaisly be able to tell if it is the blue version or not. I'd also have to see the font on the end label of Asteroids. What I like to do is actually put both cartridges on top of each other and scan both end labels at the same time so you can do a comparison right there.

Phil

I'm comparing my JR. PAC-MAN to my brown 1988 one and it is definitely red. It is cart 2 and the end label I scanned for you is plastic. The only difference is that yours is posted as brown and my end label has the star.

Are the stripes on Sky Diver that I'm suppose to be looking at the triangle on the end of the plane that is touching the parachute?

Here is my double exposure one. It is hard to tell from the scan but lining it up will my other ones it is obvious that it looks out of focus. I also scanned the Fuji and ® because that is where it is the most obvious.

Here are two of my Asteroids carts. The one on the bottom is thicker than all my other ones. On atariguide.com it is labeled as 072c4 blk - blu - locking Fat text end label, Asteroid at bottom fully in screen 1986. I think the 1986 is a typo. It is the fourth one down.

post-28856-129973857308_thumb.jpg

post-28856-129973859997_thumb.jpg

post-28856-129973863054_thumb.jpg

I noticed something odd. My Space Invaders matches version l)* R PicGr1 ©1986, CART2, EL: blue letters, EL: plastic perfectly but the picture you have doesn't. All my CART3s have the two rectangular holes in the corners that can make dents in the label and none of my CART2s do. The picture you have has the dents. Mine is a CART2 with no dents. Either there are CART2s with dents, your label is on the wrong cart, or you have a picture of a variation you don't have listed. Yours almost matches version m) R PicGr1 ©1986, CART3, ML: has “use with…”, no 2632, EL: blue letters, EL: plastic that you don't have a picture for but it does have 2632. Look at yours and mine. Yours looks like a CART3 with dents and mine looks like a CART2 without them. The labels are identical but the carts are clearly different. Mine is on the left and yours is on the right.

post-28856-12997441986_thumb.jpg

post-28856-129974424953_thumb.jpg

I noticed something odd. My Space Invaders matches version l)* R PicGr1 ©1986, CART2, EL: blue letters, EL: plastic perfectly but the picture you have doesn't. All my CART3s have the two rectangular holes in the corners that can make dents in the label and none of my CART2s do. The picture you have has the dents. Mine is a CART2 with no dents. Either there are CART2s with dents, your label is on the wrong cart, or you have a picture of a variation you don't have listed. Yours almost matches version m) R PicGr1 ©1986, CART3, ML: has use with…, no 2632, EL: blue letters, EL: plastic that you don't have a picture for but it does have 2632. Look at yours and mine. Yours looks like a CART3 with dents and mine looks like a CART2 without them. The labels are identical but the carts are clearly different. Mine is on the left and yours is on the right.

I think I'll change this. I most likely did not personally own this and just used whatever 1986 with the product number scan I could get. Your point is valid. I'll put your photo for the Cart2 and add a variation with Cart3. Since I have not been able to verify the 1986 no product number version, I just may take both out until I get proof.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

It is possible your Sky Diver double exposure is unique. I know for a fact that ET has more than 1 copy of the double exposure because I owned more than 1. I still may consider this regardless. As for your Asteroids, is yours the normal 1981 version? I will do comparisons of my Asteroids as I have many.

Phil

It is possible your Sky Diver double exposure is unique. I know for a fact that ET has more than 1 copy of the double exposure because I owned more than 1. I still may consider this regardless. As for your Asteroids, is yours the normal 1981 version? I will do comparisons of my Asteroids as I have many.

Phil

They're all 1981. One is with the rock not fully on the label which is the only one without the red copyright start screen. The rest are the ones that I'm having trouble seeing the different colors with the cx numbers. Only one of the cx number ones has the bold end label. If the bold end label is only on one of those variations then it would be an easier identifier than getting a magnifying glass to see the colors. Since you have many Asteroid carts I recommend you line all their end labels up to look for the bold ones. If all the bold ones have the same main label then add that as an identifier.