IGNORED

Finally buying a Wii (used) on Monday need advice

I struck a tentative deal with someone to pick up a Wii on Monday. Supposedly it is in perfect working order except it is missing the door on top where the Gamecube controllers plug in. I assume I can buy this later. It comes with 3 games, but even the guy selling them says they aren't that great LOL one is Manhunt, which I like the PS2 game Manhunt, so maybe I will like that one and the other two are sports games. It doesn't come with the original pack in game. It comes with a controller and numchuck.

Anyway he is even willing to deliver it since my truck in his the shop likely until Mon night at the earliest. The cost: $140 He has said I can test it out etc..

My question to you guys is there anything I should look for when I test it out? I mean 140 is pretty cheap. He seem's like a nice guy, but I don't know is there anything that typically goes wrong on these units or is it built tough like a Gamecube?

They're built tough. I've heard of more issues than GameCubes (Overheating GPU's that cause dark specs on the screen is relatively common judging by forum post at various places since launch), but I doubt you'll have any issues.

The controller port cover and memory card cover are detacheable (Did he take them off and forget where they were?) and can be bought for $1 each from Nintendo's online store.

I was about to tell you that it doesn't sound like a especially great deal with the poor lineup of games and no Wii Sports, but I certainly don't think your getting ripped off in anyway. But that was because I was thinking the console was now $200 and you'd only be saving a little bit (And wouldn't have Wii Sports which is a pretty nice pack-in). But its still $250, so I think that's a pretty good deal if the system is in full working order and just missing 1 or 2 covers.

I'd say any Wii pkg under $200 is a good deal. We got ours for that just over a yr ago. My in-laws just got theirs for $100, the seller tried it a few times & "hated it." Guess she needed the cash as she also had Wii guitar Hero, Wii Play & a 2nd nunchuk. I doubt she knew how much she couldve got for it all.

BTW I heard that Manhunt 2 sucks.

Occasionally if a Wii gets dropped just right it won't play the games or read the discs, but this is readily evident from the first time you try it, so apart from that I would say they are built pretty tough and unless just roughhoused should be just fine. Just make sure everything is there, sensor bars, the little tray base thing it sits in, etc.

Good luck and enjoy!

My question to you guys is there anything I should look for when I test it out?

Be sure to go into the Wii settings menu - the circle button labled "Wii" at the bottom of the main screen. If the Wii has taken an update from the wrong region it can be "partially bricked" where this menu won't come up. (it can be fixed, but it's a hassle you may not want to deal with).

The GPU thing was mentioned. If that's a problem you'll see dark "static" during certain parts of games.

Double check that the nunchuck works and centers correctly. Generally they're pretty rugged, but my kids managed to kill one, so it's not impossible.

The DVD drive should be fairly silent. I've had one go bad and it became quite loud.

Other than that, there's not much else in the way of common problems.

You should also know that with a bit of work it's possible to run homebrew on the Wii, including a version of Stella and other classic console emulators.

My Wii is rock solid. If you test it out and it works fine, the chances are good you've got a console that will last awhile. In a hardware sense, the Wii is pretty darned solid.

I wouldn't read to much into the $140 price. The "used market" for those things is relatively flooded around here and I'll assume the story is the same elsewhere.

That frickin' door for the GameCube ports is annoying anyway and keeps falling off. I finally stashed mine in a drawer somewhere.

You should be in good shape...the Wii's are built very solid (except for the plastic flap doors), but you should check to see if the guy opened a Virtual Console account and if there are games stored in memory that you will have to transfer over to your own Nintendo account. I don't know how Nintendo handles that.

That frickin' door for the GameCube ports is annoying anyway and keeps falling off. I finally stashed mine in a drawer somewhere.

I took mine off on day one as soon as I unboxed it. It only gets in the way, and I leave the dongle for my wireless GC controller and the GC memory card in the thing.

+1 on the annoying door thing.

you should check to see if the guy opened a Virtual Console account and if there are games stored in memory that you will have to transfer over to your own Nintendo account. I don't know how Nintendo handles that.

Actually, the Wii keeps an encrypted "ticket" for any downloaded games on its system flash, so you can redownload them at a later date. The games belong to the Wii, not an account, so there's no need to transfer them.

This is handy in this case, but a pain-in-the-ass in the case of a Wii owner buying a replacement Wii. Nintendo will not transfer the VC games from the old Wii to the new Wii. (with the sometimes exception of when a Nintendo tech actually works on your Wii and replaces it because he can't fix it)

I would say make sure the DVD drive is quiet, if the Wii makes a loud sound when trying to read discs and stuff, it's most likely broken (or on it's way to becoming broken). Other than that, they're built just as rock solid as the last few Nintendo consoles have been (Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Micro, etc.)

I would say make sure the DVD drive is quiet, if the Wii makes a loud sound when trying to read discs and stuff, it's most likely broken (or on it's way to becoming broken). Other than that, they're built just as rock solid as the last few Nintendo consoles have been (Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Micro, etc.)

thanks for this advice, I picked up the Wii a couple hours ago. The three games that came with it were terrible, so I traded them in and picked up Super Mario Galaxy, so I would have something to play on this thing. I followed all of your advice. The system was filthy and scratched, but it works fine. The door is missing and so is the stand, but it did come with a classic controller, which is a nice bonus. It seem's to work fine with no loud drive noise or static on the screen. Once it connected to my wireless router the Wii updated to 4.0 firmware and I downloaded the Nintendo channel. I find it kind of messed up they make you pay to use the Opera browser?!? That should be free!!!!!!!

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

This is handy in this case, but a pain-in-the-ass in the case of a Wii owner buying a replacement Wii. Nintendo will not transfer the VC games from the old Wii to the new Wii. (with the sometimes exception of when a Nintendo tech actually works on your Wii and replaces it because he can't fix it)

Its not sometimes, if you send your Wii to Nintendo for repairs, you'll always be able to keep your content.

Be sure and check the download history like someone else said (Or maybe its called purchase history) and see if he bought any Virtual Console or WiiWare games on it that were deleted off the internal memory before you bought it. Its in the Wii channels somewhere, probably in the shop one.

Though judging by your description of the shape it was in and the disc games that came from it, he probably didn't have good enough taste in games to do anything like buy Super Mario World on the Virtual Console. But you never know.

Edited by Atariboy

You know I happened to check Craiglist today and someone is offering a Wii at the same price with original box in mint condition, just my luck! That aside, I had a lot of fun playing around with my new toy today. I took the three games to Gamestop and got 10 dollars off Super Mario Galaxy, I'm sure this is old news to you guys, but the game is really fun once I got used to the controls. It really brings me back to the days when Mario 64 was new... Still I can only take so much of that type of game, so off I went to the Nintendo's virtual store...

I found the retro game selection pretty good, but the games that I really wanted to have (Castlevania for the Turbo Grafx for example) weren't there. I guess it's not designed for people that have the actual systems and games still.. I did download the Super Mario Brothers for the NES, since it will be convenient to have that old favorite on my wii and I wanted a classic controller compat game, so I would have somethign to test my controller out with. It was disappointing that Donkey Kong is the NES version, I mean I understand how someone would like to have the console version (I would love to have the Atari 800 version) but why not offer the arcade original??!?? It's still a Nintendo game, geesh, same thing for Galaga and Pac Man, so that is out. I wish they had Atari games on there, what is holding Atari back I wonder?

I was overwhelmed by all the WiiWare games, anyone have any suggestions? I did download Onslaught so I would have FPS until I get Conduit and Metroid Prime, and it's okay but I have a hard time with controls so I probably need to get used to it. I also downloaded the Internet channel, so when I have this thing set up in my family room area I can browse the net on the wide screen, not sure why but it seems like a cool thing to be able to do.

thanks again for all the advice, it made the deal go down much easier and eased my mind regarding the system. I consider myself a hardcore gamer and most people would probably agree but I don't see why people are so down on the Wii, it seem's like I will have a lot of fun with this console, even if it doesn't exactly fit the bill as the be all end all console. In short it's fun, but I still see myself getting a 360 or PS3 sometime.

Any suggestions regarding Wii ware would be appreciated, there is just too much on there and it's too bad they don't have videos of the Wii Ware games instead of just short write ups which are fairly useless.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

If you like physics puzzle games and haven't played the PC version, World of Goo is very good. If you did play the PC version of World of Goo and enjoyed it, then check out Tiki Towers.

Lit is a very good puzzle game with excellent atmosphere and abundant style.

Lost Winds is a very good platformer. Nice polished graphics.

Yeah, it's a bummer that they only have Donkey Kong NES version but they started releasing Virtual Arcade games a couple months ago so I hope in the near future we see the wonderful arrival of DONKEY KONG ARCADE!!

As for the Opera browser... it was free for a period of time but that expired a long time ago.

I haven't dabbled in WiiWare titles myself but the bit trip games look good and I've seen magazines with Cave Story coverage that has me interested.

Check out game trailers etc for Wiiware vids.. they should have some... maybe IGN has some of them too. I know I wouldn't wanna drop $10 for a title that turns out to be a dud...

I found the retro game selection pretty good, but the games that I really wanted to have (Castlevania for the Turbo Grafx for example) weren't there. I guess it's not designed for people that have the actual systems and games still..

Soft-mod the thing and you can play all the classics you want. The Wii is my classic gaming console of choice now :cool:

I was overwhelmed by all the WiiWare games, anyone have any suggestions?

I love World of Goo

I consider myself a hardcore gamer and most people would probably agree but I don't see why people are so down on the Wii, it seem's like I will have a lot of fun with this console, even if it doesn't exactly fit the bill as the be all end all console. In short it's fun, but I still see myself getting a 360 or PS3 sometime.

Any suggestions regarding Wii ware would be appreciated, there is just too much on there and it's too bad they don't have videos of the Wii Ware games instead of just short write ups which are fairly useless.

The Wii is a great system simply because there are a handful of really GREAT must play games. You already have one of them (SMG). There are a few more out there. You're also right that you'll need a PS3 or XB360 if you really want to get the most out of this generation of consoles. As good as the Wii is, I play my 360 at least 3 times as often.

I know this is how bar fights start, but...

it is because the Wii is 100% about great game play and great games. Nintendo has always put game quality before catering to graphics whores or tech junkies. The games are just more fun to play. This is why I think the Wii rocks and is better than any other modern system. (Emphasis on "I think")

I was overwhelmed by all the WiiWare games, anyone have any suggestions? I did download Onslaught so I would have FPS until I get Conduit and Metroid Prime, and it's okay but I have a hard time with controls so I probably need to get used to it.

I only have experience with a few Wiiware games, but my favorite by far is Mega Man 9.

You could very well like Bit Tip Beat, as it seems lots of people do, but to be honest I'm not a huge fan. I just didn't find it to be that addictive. The levels are kind of long, and after playing through one, I didn't really feel like playing through another. I definitely admire the game, and there is a lot to like about it, but it just didn't have what it takes to keep me coming back for more.

Also, if your interested in Metroid Prime 3, you might want to wait for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which comes out in August, I believe. And if you like WWII FPS's, you may want to check out Medal of Honor Heroes 2. I loved the control scheme and had a lot of fun with that game.