IGNORED

Billy Mitchells Donkey Kong record recently broken on a Mame machine

homerwannabee

It's interesting the topic that is going on at Twin Galaxies about the recent Donkey Kong record. So what do you think? Should Mame count? I personally don't like Mame and think it should remain separate from the actual arcade machine. Also, I am not too sure about the fact that a senior ref needs to be on hand for all games over 1,000,000 points on an arcade machine, even if it's at funspot.

http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewtopic.p...=22&t=16265

Edited by homerwannabee

It's interesting the topic that is going on at Twin Galaxies about the recent Donkey Kong record. So what do you think? Should Mame count? I personally don't like Mame and think it should remain separate from the actual arcade machine. Also, I am not too sure about the fact that a senior ref needs to be on hand for all games over 1,000,000 points on an arcade machine, even if it's at funspot.

http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewtopic.p...=22&t=16265

I have actually done development work on MAME and like it a lot, but I have to agree that it should be kept separate from the scores done on a real machine. After seeing King of Kong and how touchy Twin Galaxies is about making sure the PCBs on the machines were not modified in some way, I would think MAME would be even more problematic.

MAME strives for accuracy but not all games are emulated 100% perfectly so how do you decide which games are accurate enough to be compare to the real machine? You also have the problem that MAME is continuously being updated and bugs may come and go from version to version, so would people have to use the same versions of MAME to be able to compare their scores? What about verifying that the version of MAME they are using has not been modified? Since the source code is available it would not be hard to modify MAME to give someone an advantage in a specific game.

Dan

MAME records should definitely be kept separate and to me they don't really count for much. Like Dan listed, there are far too many variables in MAME... both software and different controllers / hardware configurations. If the playing field isn't level, the 'records' are meaningless.

So, instead of getting to play games you might never to have a chance to see again in a real arcade you're just gonna hate MAME?

I won't say I hate MAME, I love it. Do I prefer real arcade games? Sure. Should MAME and arcade score be separate? Yes.

I personally don't like Mame and think it should remain separate from the actual arcade machine. Also, I am not too sure about the fact that a senior ref needs to be on hand for all games over 1,000,000 points on

http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewtopic.p...=22&t=16265[/url

Seperate. Between controllers and versions and other things there is no way mame should be counted. Don't get me wrong, I love mame but for actual hi-scores it needs to be a real machine and verified because real hardware can be hacked too.