IGNORED

Atari gold... would you buy it?

xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx

Would you buy it?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. would you buy it?

• No, im happy with my 2600 as it is thankyou.
    • Yes!!!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If i where to build an "atari gold" that would b based on a atari jr 2600 and have the following features:

-Wireless controlls

-Ultra sensitive controls (micro switches)

-Inbuilt A/V (or possibly svideo)

-Inbuilt harmony cart (Plug and play sd slot built in)

-inbuilt silent cooling fan

Would you buy it? it will probably cost around $150usd or so, give or take a bit.

(also what do you think of a reset button being placed on the controller?)

If i where to build an "atari gold" that would b based on a atari jr 2600 and have the following features:

-Wireless controlls

-Ultra sensitive controls (micro switches)

-Inbuilt A/V (or possibly svideo)

-Inbuilt harmony cart (Plug and play sd slot built in)

-inbuilt silent cooling fan

Would you buy it? it will probably cost around $150usd or so, give or take a bit.

(also what do you think of a reset button being placed on the controller?)

Like what was already said. I would have to see what a finished system would look like and a video showing how it plays for that kind of money.

:ponder: :ponder: :cool:

The thread title reminded me of something I thought about, but not as some kind of realistic project, just letting my imagination run wild.

It's about an Atari 2600 "Collector's Edition", based on the heavy sixer (or maybe light sixer) with following features:

* Real wood for the woodgrain part.

* platinum switches

* big Atari logo across the ridges

* VIDEO COMPUTER SYSTEM in gold letters, the logo on the woodgrain as well

* extra strong shielding

* built-in AV mod

* additional dustcover doors on the cartridge slot

* comes with high quality joystick controllers, which look like the CX-40s, but are microswitched

* Paddles and Joypads also included; all controllers extra-sturdy and have at least twice the usual cord length.

* also features an external control panel, the size of a joypad, which can be plugged into its own port and has all the switches that are on the console (except Power and channel select).

The inbuilt harmony cart is another good idea, maybe combined with a possibility to connect the Atari to your PC via USB and dump the ROM of whatever cartridge is inserted.

Further ideas for this imaginative "Deluxe Atari"? :cool:

Edited by Herbarius

The silent cooling is a bonus. The fan noise from my 4-switcher is driving me bonkers!

Just some friendly ribbing xXUlTiMaTe-SiNXx. ;)

I think a lot of the gang here are pretty hardware capable, though you'd probably clean up on fleabay if you could pull that off.

you can sign me up for Herbarius' "Collector's Edition." That would be the bomb. Can you price match Sin's $150 MSRP?

I'm afraid no. Each unit is manufactured by highly trained professionals with love and care. That does take some time. Also, every unit is inspected after completion, and even if it has the slightest imperfection, it doesn't pass. However, price calculations aren't finished, so no numbers yet.

:D

Edited by Herbarius

I would also like to see the IQ test results.

Okay, so basicly what im hearing from you guys is you want to see a prototype, and parts be built on budget to make it more affordable, in the next month or so i will work on this and show the results here.

@yuppicide: it has already been estimated at $50.

I would also like to see the IQ test results.

Okay, so basicly what im hearing from you guys is you want to see a prototype, and parts be built on budget to make it more affordable, in the next month or so i will work on this and show the results here.

@yuppicide: it has already been estimated at $50.

stfu1.jpg

With that attitude I think you just lost ALL your potential sales. What you've got to realise is that you haven't shown the ability to complete the job in any way, shape or form. To get the job done without buying anything from other AA members you'll need the following skills :-

Software - Your SD interface (Harmony equivalent) needs ARM and 6502 assembly language.

Electronic design - You'll need this to design the SD interface and the A/V.

PCB design - The SD interface and the A/V mod will need a PCB designed and manufactured.

Mechanical design - You need to figure out where the new PCBs will fit in the case.

Soldering skills - You'll have to make the prototype PCBs.

All these skills take years to learn. You'll also need :-

Test equipment - A scope and/or logic analyser to get your SD interface and A/V circuits working. A multimeter isn't going to cut it.

Several prototype PCBs - These cost $$.

Access to online component suppliers - Needed to make protypes.

Access to drills, dremels and hand tools - Needed to make case mods etc.

The project you are proposing is no small task. However you could be the Dougie Houser of the Atari retro scene and its a piece of cake :lolblue:. Somehow I think not ;-).

If you buy the parts from other forum members you aren't going to make the $150 price point.

EDIT: Added more information.

Edited by GroovyBee

Herbarius and Ultimate Sin should have kept their projects under wraps. But now that the monkey is out of the bottle, here's a rough schematic of my deluxe Atari 2600 platform. The race is on!

FerTari: The Atari Ferrari

3717106592_b9684893f8_o.jpg

MSRP: 500 $1450 Whatever's the most you would pay

Edited by jrok

Herbarius and Ultimate Sin should have kept their projects under wraps. But now that the monkey is out of the bottle, here's a rough schematic of my deluxe Atari 2600 platform. The race is on!

Where do you expect to get dead rockstar brains? i mean seriously, there like $5000 minimum, and that's for damaged ones like M.J's brain.

Where do you expect to get dead rockstar brains? i mean seriously, there like $5000 minimum, and that's for damaged ones like M.J's brain.

Don't try to be reasonable with me! I am a 1ee7 modder/hacker with loads of experience. I can do a near-perfect conversion on a regular Lounge singer/ Jonas-brother brain for a third of the cost.

Don't try to be reasonable with me! I am a 1ee7 modder/hacker with loads of experience. I can do a near-perfect conversion on a regular Lounge singer/ Jonas-brother brain for a third of the cost.

81tch, d0n7 74lk t0 m3 4b0ut 1337! i $sh411 h4x y0u!!!

I IS 1337!!!!

81tch, d0n7 74lk t0 m3 4b0ut 1337! i $sh411 h4x y0u!!!

I IS 1337!!!!

lOok, DO'n7 83 UP537 Ju57 cU2 MY f3R74r1 5UP3r5Y573m 12 9O1N' 7O m4K3 474R1 9old loOK L1k3 4 484cu2 hOOK3D Up 7O 4 h4m573R wh33L!