IGNORED

Cooling fans....

Corby

Are they a good thing to have? Or can they do more damage than good!

Right now I have it in the open. but I just got a little cabinet from a guy from work for nothing, so I want to use it.

Any thoughts.

Corby

I've never used a cooling fan on any game console I own.

For my PS3, I keep it on top of my entertainment cabinet... completely in the open... and cover it when not in use to keep dust off of it. Its a launch 60gb PS3 and I've had no problems at all with the system, heat or otherwise.

Just my opinion, but I think one cause of all the problems with system failures today is that they generate a lot of heat and people tend to bury them in an entertainment cabinet. Sure, some of the problems of console failure are because of design and poor manufacturing, but I think these problems are compounded by the small, confined cabinets people put them in.

As an example, I was over to a friends house and he has an entertainment cabinet that has three shelves and a glass door on the front. He plays his systems with the glass door closed and the only air space is a small hole in the rear of the cabinet to run wires thru. He's owned four Xbox360's and two PS3's and blames his console failures entirely on the manufacturer, not the way he places his systems.

Oh well...

Mendon

Be carfull before you buy one for your system. Even though all these cooling fans that are for sale on Ebay look the same, there is a difference. I have the 80 gig PS3 and I bought 2 different kinds of cooling fans and none of them would fit right. Most of those are made for the 40 gig so it would be better to go to Gamestop or what ever big game store you go to and ask the sales man for the right one.

:ponder: :x :idea:

Edited by ATARIPITBULL

The PS3 has a good cooling system in it already, it doesn't need help.

yikes, maybe I'll take off the glass door.

I would, unless you intend to kill the system.

Just my opinion, but I think one cause of all the problems with system failures today is that they generate a lot of heat and people tend to bury them in an entertainment cabinet.

It absolutely is a huge factor. People either through ignorance or stubbornness have likely killed tons of the newer systems by providing inadequate environments.