IGNORED

Anyone wanna make a hack of Venture?

eyg2181

This is something that I think should be done. It's kind of like what was done to Warlords. If Warlords can be hacked to make Medieval Mayhem, then Venture should be able to be redone to be identicle to the colecovision port, which is a great game. The most noticible things are the inventory chart that tells you what treasures you got, and that there are only 2 levels that just repeat themselves (and the coleco version had a name for all the rooms) in the 2600 port and the coleco version had a lot more. Also the 2 player option is abscent from the game. The final thing isn't THAT big of a deal but it's an honorable mention, when one of the rooms is completed, the room gets filled in making it obvious that it's complete, but in the 2600 port, it looks the same, you won't know until you try to enter the room weather or not you already did it.

Don't get me wrong the 2600 version isn't a bad game, but it's nowhere near as kick ass as the coleco version. But that's ok, it doesn't stop me from liking the 2600 console better than the CV.

Any thoughts?

Venture 3 has all the levels. Looks like I'll have to talk to CPUWIZ in a few days to see about getting it on cart form

I got it on cart several years ago with permission of Batari. You should also check out out the Wolfenstein game, I like it even better than Venture. It has nine levels.

Wp

Is venture III the same as batari's Venture Arcade Edition? He did a great job with that one. It has all the good stuff, plus the extra level. I'm sure he'd be willing to make you a copy if you PM'd him. I got mine for free for guessing his screenshot location. Heck of a nice guy.

[http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57773]Venture 3[/url] handles additional rooms (via redundancy). Filling in rooms is too complex for the original game engine to handle (a new display kernel would need to be written)...though you could probably create an extremely bloated hack just by having the program bankswitch to a specific 4k block that draws a specific combination of filled-in rooms ;)

A better way would be to write a completely new game that is optimally capable of handling the additional workload directly. It's a plus/minus kind of thing. The minus is that the programmer actually has to write an entire game (something that's not at all attractive if you just want to play the thing). The plus is that the programmer's ideas for the game do not need to be "bent" to fit in an existing game engine.

Every idea has a start, tho...so when are you gonna do it?