IGNORED

Anyone else spending too much $ on "good deals" on classic games lately!?

I've been on a spending spree the past few weeks or so. Finding good deal after good deal on ebay, craigslist and various forum marketplaces... The good deals add up though! :( But it's like I can't resist a good deal, you know? :D Another problem is, they are good deals to buy, but if you are buying big lots and only want to keep some and sell some, it's hard to sell anything for what you want right now...

Edited by kevincal

Yeah I understand what you mean all too well. I come across lots of good deals on craigslist and have to pass a lot of them up. Because it gets to the point that I spend so much on retro games that I have no money left for new games. Or for food lol. But it is a little different for me since I review games on various websites and come across free games sometimes.

Oh yeah, I can really relate to this. In the last month, seems I've been buying a ton of stuff for the classic game systems. I never intended to buy a Gamecube. Well, I came across one at a yard sale awhile back, with several games and complete for only $35.00, so I had to have it. Then I had to go buy some more games for it I wanted to play..in the meantime, my poor Atari 2600 needed something else, etc. Rinse and repeat.

I've recently put the brakes on, as I should KNOW better than to go hog wild like this, but alas couldn't resist the impulse!!

-Steve

I've been on a spending spree the past few weeks or so. Finding good deal after good deal on ebay, craigslist and various forum marketplaces... The good deals add up though! :( But it's like I can't resist a good deal, you know? :D Another problem is, they are good deals to buy, but if you are buying big lots and only want to keep some and sell some, it's hard to sell anything for what you want right now...

I'm in the same boat...I visit Salvation Army and Goodwill once a week, scout out any garage sales, check out CraigsList (although usually dry), eBay, the Chuck, the marketplace here at AA and atari2600.com for "Nekid Ladies and Wounded Warriors" (I don't give a crap what condition the labels are in - I just want the game).

The wife isn't too thrilled with all the cardboard boxes sitting on the doorstep but for some reason I'm in a rush to complete the classic arcade port collections.

But yeah, although you can get a bunch of carts for under $5, a little here and there adds up. I try to limit my purchases about a month before an expo cuz I know I'll come home with a crap load of carts. I believe the number was 22 carts and a Lynx with 4 games at the Too Many Games expo in May. Man that was a lot of fun. And so is collecting.

Yeah... After spending over $100 dollars on classic games in Omaha, I was going to buy a $15 Atari lot off of Craigslist. It had 1 vader, Snoopy and the red baron, Combat, Yars revenge, manuals and an organizer. I tried to call, but the dick had a prank answering machine message that crushed my tiny ego to pieces.

Holy crap - l00k what I just found on Craigslist!

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/gms/1282890379.html

:-o :-o :-o That's just amazing. Either a major collector died or is going bankrupt or a store just closed up. I wonder what they'd take for the entire lot. Too bad I'm both broke and hundreds of miles away.

Oh heck yeah I have. $40 for one system, $60 for a game for another, $60 for a skateboard Lynx and games, and on top of that I've spent $500 on new and used power tools for work. Also had a little emergency at home that cost $300 plus to fix.

I ain't ate in a week, my wife's already starved dead so she can't be annoyed anymore, and I had to drive off from the gas station last week and beat the electrician off my meter outside, but hey, classic gaming is cool!

Oh heck yeah I have. $40 for one system, $60 for a game for another, $60 for a skateboard Lynx and games, and on top of that I've spent $500 on new and used power tools for work. Also had a little emergency at home that cost $300 plus to fix.

I ain't ate in a week, my wife's already starved dead so she can't be annoyed anymore, and I had to drive off from the gas station last week and beat the electrician off my meter outside, but hey, classic gaming is cool!

If you don't mind me asking, what emergency happened?

Sounds like me lol.. Hey, I just bought a skateboard Lynx too! My first Lynx. Played one back in the mid 90's at a friends house. Been playing some California Games, good times. :D Man, mine was pretty nasty though. Seemed like it had never been cleaned and was used by a smoker for the last 20 years I think LOL. I cleaned her up and she looks nice now. :D Screen is a little scratched. Overall it's all good though. I got a great deal on it. Got it with 4 sealed games and Cali Games for $30 something shipped total. ;)

If you don't mind me asking, what emergency happened?

Air conditioner. It's in another thread shadow started.

:-o :-o :-o That's just amazing. Either a major collector died or is going bankrupt or a store just closed up. I wonder what they'd take for the entire lot. Too bad I'm both broke and hundreds of miles away.

I plan on going...it's a 30 minute drive but since it is so dry around here lately I gotta see what this guy has. Judging by the ad it sounds like this person is very knowledgeable which has me less than optimistic about getting a good score...we'll see...report on Saturday.

The it'll be off to a flea market at a school...those are cool because everyone is confined to the parking lot and you can get in and out quickly. Opposed to the neighborhood garage sales that take forever especially looking for classic games...

Then I have to get to the gym. Then move everything out of the basement to begin demolition for the new game room. And then work on my Make Trax cabinet. And the $15 entertainment center I got from Salvation Army that I need to paint and add more shelves to house my classic console collection. And cut the grass.

The weekend's done before it even started.

I dont know if youll get "garage sale prices" from this guy. he is a hardcore collector and he will know what things are worth.

ive been to garage sales that collectors hold and you rarely get a bargain.

Edited by CARTRIDGE STEALER

I dont know if youll get "garage sale prices" from this guy. he is a hardcore collector and he will know what things are worth.

ive been to garage sales that collectors hold and you rarely get a bargain.

I agree. There will be no bargains here so everyone should stay away :D

But yeah, although you can get a bunch of carts for under $5, a little here and there adds up. I try to limit my purchases about a month before an expo cuz I know I'll come home with a crap load of carts. I believe the number was 22 carts and a Lynx with 4 games at the Too Many Games expo in May. Man that was a lot of fun. And so is collecting.

Absolutely correct. I give myself a budget of $250 per month. If I go over, I have to take it out of next month's budget (at least try). If I'm under (which I really do shoot for), there is no carry over. I started collecting last year and I'm addicted. $40-50 here and there at every flea market run adds up. You can't go everyday, but you want to--to get those deals that are passing you up. I almost have every system I feel I need and a back-up for it. (Still want a Bally Astrocade, and a few other common systems for back-ups). So maybe I'm hitting a stand still, which would be a good thing. I could direct my budget to those more expensive carts now (see it working?).

It is sad to pass up a good deal. If it's a great deal, I'll probably do it. But really, do you need another Atari 4-switch with 20 generic carts for $14?

It's tough to answer.

My wife told me about a friend's husband who's getting into old games. I told her to tell her friend to tell her husband, "Quit now!"

I won my first Ebay auction last night a Boxed Atari 2600 Carnival game for .01 and 3.99 shipping :)

Im not sure if its a real good deal but then I won 6 New Boxed Parker Brother games in the original Parker Brothers shipping box for 70.50 plus 3.99 shipping

the games were Amidar,Spiderman,Sky Skipper,Star Wars Jedi Arena,Star Wars Empire Strikes Back,Reactor.

It's hard to pass on a good deal. Recently, I said no more, but then I turn around and find a deal on a working colecovision (more or less), a six switcher 2600, and a bunch of games, so what am I supposed to do? I do set a budget and don't carry over either.

However, have to keep in mind that a good deal may pass, but another is around the corner. I want to stop now and work on getting my collecovision to 100% (may need some doubledown work), and find a good controller for my 5200 so I can actually play Beserk without swearing like a truck driver when I can't shoot straight due to those *&&*^% controllers.

and find a good controller for my 5200 so I can actually play Beserk without swearing like a truck driver when I can't shoot straight due to those *&&*^% controllers.

yeah well, according to another member on this site the problem is that you're not a good video gamer because you are not able to adapt to the 5200 controller...

Check out that thread... I'm surprised it hasn't been locked yet.

I've been on a massive buying spree lately, and truly am running out of room.

I dumped a huge box of commons on Al, which helped a lot, but I'm still in danger of being buried until piles of silver label commons and unwanted copies of Laser Blast...

In my case, there's no doubt it's a sickness. How else to explain why I'd buy an 80+ cart lot just to get a single label variation I've been searching for?

and find a good controller for my 5200 so I can actually play Beserk without swearing like a truck driver when I can't shoot straight due to those *&&*^% controllers.

yeah well, according to another member on this site the problem is that you're not a good video gamer because you are not able to adapt to the 5200 controller...

Check out that thread... I'm surprised it hasn't been locked yet.

Yes, I'm suprised that I have't been flamed yet. The stock controller are passable for some games, but Bezerk isn't one of them