IGNORED

Making Games

skywalker2000

Someone should make a quick program. (Like Missile or Racer52)

And record there actions on tape. Then place it for downloading somewhere so us "programmer wannabees" (like me :) ) can see first hand how to make a 5200 program. :D

I would like to see how you take a code and translate to bin and what not.

Do you mean in 5200BAS? If yes then it is a two step process. You have to convert the basic file into assembly language and then you have to convert the assembly language to machine language. If you are not talking about 5200BAS than you can't do what your saying. If you are using 5200BAS refere to Calimari's site for more details.

http://www.azstarnet.com/~jeffryj/5200bas.html

Allan

Do you mean in 5200BAS? If yes then it is a two step process. You have to convert the basic file into assembly language and then you have to convert the assembly language to machine language. If you are not talking about 5200BAS than you can't do what your saying. If you are using 5200BAS refere to Calimari's site for more details.

Allan

And record there actions on tape. Then place it for downloading somewhere so us "programmer wannabees" (like me :) ) can see first hand how to make a 5200 program.  :D  

Well, I guess you did mean 5200BAS. So you just want a small quick run-through tutorial like:

HELLO:

print "Hello World"

goto HELLO

Allan

Allan

And record there actions on tape. Then place it for downloading somewhere so us "programmer wannabees" (like me :) ) can see first hand how to make a 5200 program.  :D  

Well, I guess you did mean 5200BAS. So you just want a small quick run-through tutorial like:

HELLO:

print "Hello World"

goto HELLO

Allan

Yea, A little tutorial to help me see how it's done. I have to admit that I feel that I learned a little, but seeing someone do it is much better than reading about it. I know if I can learn how to make a game for the 5200, it will be a cool one. I always think of cool games for older systems.

:wink:

I can even program it at work. While I monitor my campaigns. :)

I must learn. It's in my blood. It's my destiny. :D

Yea, A little tutorial to help me see how it's done. I have to admit that I feel that I learned a little, but seeing someone do it is much better than reading about it. I know if I can learn how to make a game for the 5200, it  will be a cool one. I always think of cool games for older systems.

:wink:  

I can even program it at work. While I monitor my campaigns.  :)  

I must learn. It's in my blood. It's my destiny.  :D

I don't know how much you know about the 5200/8-bit hardware but before you start programming you really need to get familair with the way the 5200 does things. Like how the Antic, Pokey, and GTIA chips work and how the player/missile graphics work, etc. If you haven't read it yet, read DeReAtari and Compute's Mapping the Atari. Everything you need is over at www.atariarchives.org and www.atarimagazines.com. You might want to do a search on www.atarimagazines.com for keywords like Player-missile graphics,Display Lists, etc. There were a lot of great tutorials on all types of 5200/8-bit programming. Well, it was really for the 8-bit computers but the 5200 is basicly the same. If you haven't already you can look at Calamari's site for a couple of articles on the differences between the two.

Allan

Ok, I read the FAQ @ ~jeffryj and tried to make a very simple ROM to play on the emulator (VSS77) and I followed the instruction yet I can't get to to make a .bin

I noticed that all the examples have a *.inc file. Where does it come from?

I just wanted to print something on the screen.

I went to the Atariarchive site to read about mapping memory and what not. I have to say it help. But is there a very simple step by step instruction that will tell you how to creat a binary file that will play on the emulator (VSS77), even if its just printing something on the screen?

Thanks... :) :twisted: :wink: