IGNORED

Atari and commodore versions of the same game...which is better

Following on from one of peteD's last posts and in the spirit of the original point of the atari vs commodore thread (before it deviated and got hijacked)

Of the Atari and commodore versions of the same game...which version (of the game) is better (i am not interested in what system is better)...use the other thread for that

Starters for ten include

Ball Blazer

Any of the early sierra o/l graphics adventures (i.e dark crystal etc)

Alternate realities

PCS (Pinball construction set) and the game that led up to it 'Raster Blaster'

Any early Datamost/Datasoft game

Atari/Atari soft coin op conversions

Alley cat/ enocunter, rainbow walker

Any frank cohen game (Scolls of abaddon, Scooter, fanda, ollies follies etc)

And any others (in the 0000's) i haven't mentioned

Edited by carmel_andrews

I just remembered....before the chkdsk utility decided to delete all the files from my biggie HD...i had a complete collection of all commodore64 emulator versions of games

I recall that the polish company LK avalon did some c64 games as well...can't remember which ones though and also which atari LK avalon games were done on the c64

Some more games

Early ultima series (upto ultima 4 or 5...which ever was the last one on the atari)

The Pawn/Jinxter

JetBootJack/Timeslip or Robin Hood

M.U.L.E. (anyone know what this was a shortform for)

Gauntlet

Leaderboard

Spindizzy

River Raid/Pitfall II/Beamrider

Spy v spy 1/2 and 3

Bouderdash 1/2 and CK (or CS)

Whirlynurd

BBSB (Bountybob Strikes Back)

Attack o/t mutant camels/Hover bovver and Gridrunner (sorry, can't remember any more JM A to C conv's)

M.U.L.E. (anyone know what this was a shortform for)

Google not working in London? :)

"M.U.L.E." (Multiple Use Labor Element)

Also can you be more specific on the definition of better?

Who is better Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton? Better is personal preference...

One game I still have a Jag for is Tempest 2000. I have played Tempest X3 (PS2 version) Graphics higher quality Sound seems higher quality (to my ears at least). But, I would alway go back to the Jag version. It has a "soul" that is totally missing on the PS2 version.

Also can you be more specific on the definition of better?

Who is better Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton? Better is personal preference...

M.U.L.E on A8 has near identical graphics and sound to the C64 version (although I find the A8 sound overall more rich, and the use of color more pleasing) - however it is a much better game on the A8 because it's fully properly 4 player as designed, 4 players with 4 sticks pure and simple...

sTeVE

M.U.L.E on A8 has near identical graphics and sound to the C64 version (although I find the A8 sound overall more rich, and the use of color more pleasing) - however it is a much better game on the A8 because it's fully properly 4 player as designed, 4 players with 4 sticks pure and simple...

But I don't have 4 friends to play against :'(

This is my point though very close in graphics and sound but you preference is A8

I recently played Goonies on the C64, the graphics and sound seemed a little better than the A8 version. But I would still rather play on the A8. I guess I am just used to the way controls behave on the version I grew up with.

Following on from one of peteD's ...

{snip}

Alley cat/ enocunter, rainbow walker

Any frank cohen game (Scolls of abaddon, Scooter, fanda, ollies follies etc)

And any others (in the 0000's) i haven't mentioned

Sorry I'm not having a go, honest.

But where can I get a copy of the second game above? :lolblue: :lolblue:

i'm not even sure what's going on... are we meant to comment on the games being listed or something?

I think that's the idea, rather than everyone just list their favourite A8 games, maybe yea/nay the ones already listed.

eg Gauntlet? not sure I agree with that one. They're pretty similar. C64 has more colours, runs faster (unless what I've seen of it has filtered its way out of my busy head), music is about the same, title screen c64 has more colours except the logo..

Pete

This is my point though very close in graphics and sound but you preference is A8

My preference has nothing to do with the Audio Visual elements, but due to the fact that it's a 4 player game and the C64 version is poor to play in that respect - the DESIGN of the game is a group play experience - as such the A8 version offers superior play experience, and is therefore the better version to use that subjective term - objectively the A8 delivers the as designed play un-compromised unlike the C64 port...

sTeVE

I'm pretty sure we already have a 280-page thread that WON'T DIE on exactly this subject.

Thing is, i've been touting the idea of a dedicated platform agnostic message board for these discussions for a year now but nobody seems interested... it'd keep them away from the format-specific boards, let them run without people doing "well this is an [Platform] board so of course you're wrong" and so on. i think i even offered to host it? =-)

i'm not even sure what's going on... are we meant to comment on the games being listed or something?

I think that's the idea, rather than everyone just list their favourite A8 games, maybe yea/nay the ones already listed.

That's still going to be messy (as in huge blocks of text) unless we're not meant to justify the decision... i'm loathe to get involved until i know what the "rules" are. And there was at least Alley Cat listed above that isn't even on the C64 (there's a game with the same name, but it's by Solar Software) so i'm not sure where Carmel is getting his lists from!

eg Gauntlet? not sure I agree with that one. They're pretty similar. C64 has more colours, runs faster (unless what I've seen of it has filtered its way out of my busy head), music is about the same, title screen c64 has more colours except the logo..

As a game, i'd say the C64 version is better to play for the frame rate (although there are better conversions on the other 8-bits).