IGNORED

New game revamp/release - Stellar Shuttle 480i

Rybags

Thanks for the reply and information. I didn't realize it was done using redefined character sets. I thought you were using ANTIC mode F and was thinking the rotating asteroids must have been terribly expensive in terms of space.

tjb

Nice work, always good to have something new to play :) Played this last night, it seemed a lot harder than the original as I struggled to beat screen 1, after about 6 goes score 40Kish beat it. Loaded the original for comparison and it is much easier as gameplay is quicker, but from memory the game was too easy so maybe that's a good thing?! Maybe someone can make a decent version of asteroids for the 8-bit :cool:

I've found it easier... though I don't think I've gotten over 28,000.

The big rocks rotating means you can sometimes duck under and shoot them, where in the original, once you reached a certain height in relation to them, you can't do anything.

Also, the ship is a little bit smaller - wingtips are one pixel smaller.

I can't really take credit for the game... I've just prettied up the graphics a bit. Gameplay remains much the same, although I had to tweak some delays downwards to cater for the extra CPU consumed by the animations.

If you want to compare the original, here's an XEX version of the tape image from Atarimania.

sshuttle.zip

Edited by Rybags

I can't really take credit for the game... I've just prettied up the graphics a bit. Gameplay remains much the same, although I had to tweak some delays downwards to cater for the extra CPU consumed by the animations.

If you want to compare the original, here's an XEX version of the tape image from Atarimania.

sshuttle.zip

I've just tried it, and they seem pretty similar apart from the animation. I find both of them difficult!! I've never played this game before but I do like challenging my dexterity - or lack of it!

• 3 years later...

I never knew this game existed for the A8. It used to be one of my favourite games in the arcade. The only thing that's really different about it is that in the arcade version, once you pick up your man, the asteroids turn into alien ships that shoot down on you.

If you really want to play around with the A8 version, maybe you could add that missing section? ;)

It's not an arcade game, but fairly obviously borrows heavily from Taito's Lunar Rescue.

Doing alien ships would mean practically rewriting the game. The point of my enhancement was what you can see with it, doubling the vertical resolution, improved animation and a couple of bugfixes.

What you see is as far as I intended to go with it. The only further work I'd consider for this is porting to the 5200 but even then it'd probably have to be feature-reduced to fit in 16K Rom, and I've got like 5 or 6 other projects before I'd even look into this.

• 1 year later...