IGNORED

Atari games you like but no one else does

Animan

...the wifey still loves Burger Time

I love Burger Time. When I was a kid, those graphics were amazing! Sure they were just yellow ugly blocks while you were stomping on them, but they fell into a glorious colorful Whopper on the bottom of the screen.

Rick Maurer was developing that game before Atari even considered purchasing the rights for it. Perhaps that has something to do with the dissimilar graphics.

Space Invaders arcade was the crossover point between bronze-age and golden-age gaming. Remember that it was still black and white. So just presenting the game in glorious color with the magenta UFO going by was a big deal. I can still vaguely recall the slobbering envy I felt when I visited a friend's house who were playing Space Invaders on a big console TV in their den with the sound pumping DUN DUN DUN DUN. At the time all I had was the bloops and bleeps of a Coleco Telstar Ranger. But after experiencing Space Invaders, I had to have an Atari. There was just no negotiations. So you can surely analyze other coinop ports but Space Invaders was really a unique case from a historical angle.

• 3 weeks later...

For me it was these games that I loved and my parents hated:

1. Shark Attack

2. Solar Storm

3. Communist Mutants from space

Carl

Nice to see another Solar Storm fan. I like it MUCH better than Kaboom. Big fan of Dark Chambers too.

I've got a decent list of games I wouldn't say no one likes, but I couldn't really call them "popular" either:

Star Ship

Home Run

Football

Space War

Canyon Bomber (more specifically, Sea Bomber)

Air-Sea Battle

Street Racer

Sky Diver

Brain Games

Outlaw

Miniature Golf

Night Driver

Video Olympics

Indy 500

Pac-Man

Defender

Video Pinball

Video Chess

Stellar Track

Codebreaker

Othello

Bermuda Triangle

Sub Scan

Cosmic Swarm

River Raid II

Cosmic Commuter

Mr. Do!

Super Cobra

Submarine Commander

Encounter At L-5

(These are just the ones I can think of...)

Honorable/Questionable Mentions:

*Combat is considered an all-time Atari classic, yet it's hardly ever talked about.

*Tax Avoiders gets points for weirdness...a game like this could only come from the Yuppie era.

*Texas Chainsaw Massacre gets points for weirdness and novelty; it's even kinda fun for a little while.

*I can't call myself a "fan" of Skeet Shoot, but the fact I pop it in for about 12 seconds every couple of months probably makes me the world record-holder for "Most Time Logged Playing Skeet Shoot."

*I loved Snoopy the World War 1 flying ace as a kid (still do), so Snoopy And The Red Baron gets a mention for tugging my nostalgia strings despite being a pretty-looking mediocre game.