IGNORED

new char mode 64x60, 80x60, 96x60

tebe

• 1 month later...

Awesome! Nice work tebe!!! :cool:

It's always nice to hear about new discoveries-- just wanted to point out that you can also alter ANTIC mode 2 via the GTIA -> non-GTIA GPRIOR toggle to toggle transistors within the GTIA to make it think it's in some other mode. So it's not just for ANTIC F becoming ANTIC E'. You need to wait 26 cycles after WSYNC before shutting down GTIA mode and going back to CTIA. To work out the details of what that new colorful text mode is is left as an exercise for the reader. I'm more into linear modes.

• Like 1

Sorry, a wee bit confused here.. But this is just a redefined charset that uses 6bits right per 4 lines (or that's the intended use)? 3 bits to select the left side of the char, 3 bits for the right side ? and split every 4 lines to give you alternate patterns in the 4-8 lines ?

So not really a new mode ? Or am I missing something ?

So in other words it's just a normal screen mode split every 4 lines ?

I'm absolutely sure I'm missing something very fundamental here..

Andy, it is a char mode special case where the chars are less than 8 scanlines. So in theory you can spread the 5th color more precise than using raster interrupts.

a little bit comparing to the chunky mode on c64... (if I remember it right every 4 scanlines you are switching font plus video ram)

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Andy, it is a char mode special case where the chars are less than 8 scanlines. So in theory you can spread the 5th color more precise than using raster interrupts.

a little bit comparing to the chunky mode on c64... (if I remember it right every 4 scanlines you are switching font plus video ram)

Right, that's what I thought.. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't some Antic fiddling that resulted in 64 character cells across the line ;)

Some special modes take up more CPU power than others. Poking the VSCRL register per line seems fine if you are also doing something else in that DLI or IRQ, but it would build a lot more overhead if that was the only thing you were doing in the DLI.

• 10 years later...