IGNORED

ColecoVision - The Arcade Quality Experience!

doubledown

So after all these many years I've finally gotten around to restoring and setting up my ColecoViison Free-Standing Display #2495.

post-4993-1248997155_thumb.jpg

Here's what I've done:

Restoration:

Installed new chrome t-molding. The chrome layer of the original t-molding had peeled off years ago, leaving behind grey t-molding. I pulled out the orginal and was able to find a perfect replacement to restore it to its original luster.

Poster and scotch tape removal. The previous owner, as a kid, had taped on a few video game related posters and post cards onto the display. I removed all of the pictures and all of the adhesive residue from the tape. The only artwork on the display now, is what came on it from Coleco.

Controller rebuilds. The joysticks and buttons for the display are all Wico brand controls. Most of the contacts were corroded and non-responsive. I completely disassembled the controllers, and burnished, de-oxidized, and conditioned each of the contacts, and throughly cleaned all of the components including the keypads.

As far as the restoration, thats pretty much all I had to do besides dust off all of the panels before I assembled it. There are a few nicks here and there on the display, but nothing terribly noticible that I felt complled to do anything about right now.

Upgrades

Before anybody freaks out about this section, please note that this display, as shipped from Coleco, did not include the ColecoVision or the monitor. So the mods and upgrades I've installed in no way affect the original integrity of the unit. That being said here's what I've done:

"Intro Skip" BIOS. I've installed my "Intro Skip" BIOS into the console so that Coleco's annoying title screens can be bypassed instantly whenever I choose.

XGA Video Mod. Tapping the YUV video signals directly off of the VDP and running them through an upscalling circuit, I've achieved an XGA video output with a resolution of 1024 x 768. When compared to the original 256 x 192 resolution, it makes for a hell of an improvement.

19" SXGA Monitor. Since I upgraded the console with an XGA video mod, I had to upgrade the monitor as well. I chose a HANS-G HH-191DPB 19" SXGA LCD monitor. It features a 5ms response time, 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, a brightness of 300 cd/m2, and a viewing angle of 170 degrees. The monitor also has 2 built-in 1 watt speakers, but that just wasn't enough sound for me.

Analog Audio (Dual Mono) Outputs. I've tapped the audio signals directly off of the sound processor to be able to to supply the speaker system.

2.1 Powered Audio System. I had considered just using the speakers built into the monitor, but I had an Altec Lansing VS2421 2.1 speaker system that I wasn't using any more. The system includes (2) 7 watt RMS 2.5" full range drivers in ported enclosures, (1) 14 watt RMS 5.25" subwoofer in a ported enclosure, and a seperate wired volume/tone control. Fortunately the leads for the control are long enough that I was able to set it on the console/controller panel allowing for easy access to raise and lower the volume, and to alter the tone of the output.

Add-A-Halt Module. Since I had the Add-A-Halt module lying around, I decided to install it into the console so that I can pause any game at any time.

So at 7' tall, 4' wide, 3' deep, and weighing 292 lbs. (without the electronics), the ColecoVision Free-Standing Display is truly the ultimate way to enjoy the Arcade Quality Video Game System at home as it was meant to be played. I've got to say the upgraded video is truly remarkable, and the 2.1 sound system is incredibly loud just like an actual arcade game, if not better. Games like Gyruss and Venture that feature constant in game music sound incredible through a high power speaker system. I'd also like to say that standing at an arcade-like cabinet playing games, feels so much different versus sitting in a chair holding a controller.

All in all, this was a fun restoration and modding project, and definatly makes playing ColecoVision games, especially arcade ports, a blast.

Hi this is Yurkie's gf he is sitting here drooling at your post and wants to come and play. :P

I'll bet he does. He's seen the unassembled parts as they were leaning up against a wall, but believe me the assembled unit is a hell of a lot more impressive. If I'm not mistaken, from what Todd's told me, and from your avatar I hear you're pretty good at Mr. Do!. Give me a couple days to clean up the apartment, and maybe Todd and you can come over and check it out.

Hi this is Yurkie's gf he is sitting here drooling at your post and wants to come and play. :P

I'll bet he does. He's seen the unassembled parts as they were leaning up against a wall, but believe me the assembled unit is a hell of a lot more impressive. If I'm not mistaken, from what Todd's told me, and from your avatar I hear you're pretty good at Mr. Do!. Give me a couple days to clean up the apartment, and maybe Todd and you can come over and check it out.

Actually I am good at Mr. Do's Castle. I have got 143,840 The Twin Galaxies record is 89,520. I was playing it off the multi-cart, I need a regular copy to submit my record. I have a copy of the cart on it's way. :)

Almost 300 pounds? You gotta be kidding? How does that work?

Well there are 2 sides made from 3/4" MDF. The base is 36" x 48" with a 4" riser, all made from 3/4" particle board. The storage shelf is almost identical to the base minus the riser, again made from 3/4" particle board. The power shelf is 36" x 16" and made from particle board. The monitor shelf is 36" x 15", made from particle board, with a 3/4" thick stiffening brace made from plywood. Then all the plastic and wood for the controller/console panel, overhead marquee, and monitor/poster plexiglass. Trust me the 292 lbs. is not an estimate. I borrowed my portable 400 lb. shipping scale from work and weighed each piece to arrive at that number. I had to build it lying on its back then stand it up, which really wasn't that bad to do by myself. The hardest part was sliding it back the 2 feet to the wall over the carpet, once I got finished installing and adjusting the monitor last night.

Almost 300 pounds? You gotta be kidding? How does that work?

Well there are 2 sides made from 3/4" MDF. The base is 36" x 48" with a 4" riser, all made from 3/4" particle board. The storage shelf is almost identical to the base minus the riser, again made from 3/4" particle board. The power shelf is 36" x 16" and made from particle board. The monitor shelf is 36" x 15", made from particle board, with a 3/4" thick stiffening brace made from plywood. Then all the plastic and wood for the controller/console panel, overhead marquee, and monitor/poster plexiglass. Trust me the 292 lbs. is not an estimate. I borrowed my portable 400 lb. shipping scale from work and weighed each piece to arrive at that number. I had to build it lying on its back then stand it up, which really wasn't that bad to do by myself. The hardest part was sliding it back the 2 feet to the wall over the carpet, once I got finished installing and adjusting the monitor last night.

Holy cow - did you use those furniture sliders?

Honestly, I don't doubt you but I wouldn't have thought it be that heavy. I work on arcade cabinets and they seem pretty light.

Edited by rmaerz

No furniture sliders, just muscle!

If you look closely at the right side of the picture, you can see the left and top edges of my SEGA Turbo machine which stands directly to the right of the ColecoVision display. The Turbo sizes up at 72" high, 25.25" wide, 36" deep, and it weighs in at 330 lbs. acording to its arcade flyer. So figure with the ColecoVision display being 12" taller and 22.75" wider (which is a lot of extra wood-type product), then subtract the CRT monitor and power supply that the Turbo has, but the CV display doesn't, and it definately sounds about right. If I remember correctly, each of the sides, and the base, weigh around 49 lbs a piece.

I've also got a 1957 Seeburg KD-200 jukebox that claims to weigh about 400 lbs. according to the manual. I've moved that thing twice, and I swear it seems closer to 500 lbs.

Wow! ... Look awesome! :D

I'm planing to make a reproduction of this stand (similar to what Curt has done in the past)

I've made hi-res images of the Marquee & the lower door images (I'm missing the Head to Head Fooball box)

Mike, would you mind to give me the measurements of this sweet baby?

BTW: If you ever want to sell it, I'll go in Ohio to bring it home here in Montreal,Canada.....

OK, I know you'll never sell it! ;) :P

Wow! ... Look awesome! :D

I'm planing to make a reproduction of this stand (similar to what Curt has done in the past)

I've made hi-res images of the Marquee & the lower door images (I'm missing the Head to Head Fooball box)

Mike, would you mind to give me the measurements of this sweet baby?

BTW: If you ever want to sell it, I'll go in Ohio to bring it home here in Montreal,Canada.....

OK, I know you'll never sell it! ;) :P

The overall measurements are in the first post in this thread. If you're looking for something more specific send me a PM. I've had a decent offer to purchase it recently, but it just wasn't enough in my opinion. Plus now that I actually have it set up and can enjoy it, I really can't imagine selling it unless the offer was rediculous.

WOW!!! It looks amazing! but is it hard to play it since the screen is in the center and the control sticks are to the left and right of the screen?

At first it is slightly noticable/annoying, but it really isn't bad at all, and after a couple minutes of playing any game I completely forget that the controls are off center.