IGNORED

ColecoVision - The Arcade Quality Experience!

doubledown

Any video output is possible as long as you have the proper conversion circuit.

Would you be able to do that ?

I would love to see a ColecoVision running on an Arcade Monitor :D

It's really not gonna look much different than a TV set IMO. The RGB signal will make it sharper, but not sure it would be worth the trouble over S-Video on a tube monitor.

This is off topic but I thought of it as I was looking at the picture of that cool ColecoViison display (Though I'm puzzled when you went with a LCD monitor rather than a CRT, better picture and would appear a bit more authentic to anyone playing on it).

Anyways, back in the 16 bit days locally, every store unit even even in different chains would remove the start/select buttons from controllers so you couldn't start the games. What's the point of a store demo unit when its configured to not even be playable?

Edited by Atariboy

That is annoying. Even to this day, when you want to play with an Xbox 360 or PS3 that they've got set up in a Target or Toys R Us or whatever, the controllers always have a Lucite harness on them that prevents you from pressing certain buttons. I don't know what purpose that serves, other than making it impossible for you to bypass a publisher's splash and title screen before playing a game demo. I wonder if that's the reason, or if there's some other idiotic purpose?

Sorry, I don't blog, or really care for YouTube videos where someone talks you through opening a new item, or walks you around an item listing its features. As its already built there can't be any sort of in progress building pictures or videos, and I'm not going to make a video of "here's the side, it has the ColecoVision logo. The bottom here is actually a lockable storage cabinet." It just doesn't appeal to me. More pictures are definately possible and I'll probably post some closeups here in a few days.

As far as the monitor, since I was using an upscalled XGA signal, it had to be a PC monitor, and it's a lot easier to find a new 19" lcd monitor than it is a CRT these days. I'm not sure why you think a CRT would provide a better pic than a LCD through. Also, LCDs weigh a hell of a lot less than CRTs and it will help prevent the monitor shelf from warping over time.

Sorry, I don't blog, or really care for YouTube videos where someone talks you through opening a new item...

Amen to that! I find the phenomenon of "unboxing" videos to be totally perplexing: You made a video of yourself taking your new iPhone out of its box? Really!? How fascinating! What's next? Do I get to see you at McDonald's, taking your Happy Meal out of its bag? Will you assemble the free toy for us?

Regarding that blogging thing, I commend you for not blogging! What I meant to say was not that you oughtta blog the details of this, but that some established, well-known tech/gadget blogs would be all over this if they knew about it.

As far as the monitor, since I was using an upscalled XGA signal, it had to be a PC monitor, and it's a lot easier to find a new 19" lcd monitor than it is a CRT these days. I'm not sure why you think a CRT would provide a better pic than a LCD through. Also, LCDs weigh a hell of a lot less than CRTs and it will help prevent the monitor shelf from warping over time.

Because CRT computer monitors offer superior picture quality thanks to superior color rendering, superior response times, superior contrast ratios, higher refresh rates, ability to multisync (Something a LCD can't do and I doubt your modded Colecovision is feeding the LCD its native resolution, so the LCD's scaler has to process the image), superior color clarity, greater viewing angle, etc.

While LCD's have improved drastically and now make fine displays, the only advantages even now that they hold are in regards to size and weight. Unless your moving that around a lot, seems like a CRT is the best choice to me with superior picture quality, and curved glass that someone would expect for a display back in the 80s in such a display, and no chance of blurring (Most any LCD monitor, even the best on the market, still exhibit signs of this and is easily visible upon close inspection when there are fast moving 2d scrolling titles being displayed).

Anyways, was just a thought that popped into my mind. Either way, that store display is great and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :)

One question though, what's up with all the blank space under the Donkey Kong screen image? It almost looks like the store display was built for a vertical monitor? Looks extremely odd.

Edited by Atariboy

The monitor is an SXGA monitor and I am supplying it a true XGA signal. As far as blurring, none is noticable as the ColecoVision doesn't really have any "fast" scrolling games in its library. I've got the specs of the monitor in the first post in this thread. For the type and speed of the video signals from the 1982 ColecoVision, I think the LCD can handle everything the CV can pump out.

As far as the black space below the monitor, there is an adjustable tv mask behind the plexiglass. The mask can be shifted up or down about 10", and the monitor shelf is adjustable. Basically the mask will block any light from around the monitor, and the adjustability allows you to adjust the height of the monitor. Since I am 6'1", I decided to install the monitor as high as possible so I can look straight ahead and not down.

Because CRT computer monitors offer superior picture quality thanks to superior color rendering, superior response times, superior contrast ratios, higher refresh rates, ability to multisync (Something a LCD can't do and I doubt your modded Colecovision is feeding the LCD its native resolution, so the LCD's scaler has to process the image), superior color clarity, greater viewing angle, etc.

To each their own, but how much color rendering do you have to worry about on a system with a 16 color pallete? And how many frequencies or refresh rates do you think the CV produces? Most of what you said would have been true years ago, but almost everything is equivalent or better now with LCD technology. And please define what you think 'multisync' is, and why an LCD can't 'multisync'. And why bring up the native resolution thing? A Colecovision isn't sending a 'native resolution' signal to a CRT either at 256x192.

I'll disagree with your assessment of the different monitors. The CRT is nothing but a bulkier outdated display these days IMO. It has a feel/look and charm that an LCD can't replicate, but I fully think DoubleDown went the right way on this.

LCD's can only display the resolution they're built to display, any other resolution being sent to it has to be scaled with the internal scaling chip, which on computer monitors is often of questionable quality since its easy to set your computer to output the native resolution of the monitor. CRT's on the other hand can easily synchronise with various horizonal and vertical scan frequencies without introducing that additional step into the equation.

LCD displays consists of a fixed raster. They can't change resolution to match the signal its recieving like a CRT monitor can, so the optimal display quality can only be reached when the signal input matches the native resolution.

CRT is still widely held as the superior display medium, even at videophile sites like AVS, though the gap has grown small enough where its not real significant anymore and LCD and plasma's advantages in size, weight, and heat have led most users to leave them behind.

Anyways, he's clearly happy with LCD. I was mainly just curious since I know I'd find it strange to see a LCD in a early 1980's store display unit, and thought I'd ask since I would think a CRT monitor would physically look more correct while still being able to recieve the VGA signal of his modded console (And with the additional benefit of what we've been discussing). Wasn't meant to derail the thread.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

How bout ten bucks - that's a ridiculous offer ;)

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

That is definately rediculous!

AH!

So you won't sell unless the offer is rediculous!

and you agree my ten buck offer is rediculous

therefore it's mine!!!!!!!

When can I pick it up!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:D :D :D

Seriously I'd like to see more pics if you have the time... I remember those kiosks at the Toys R' Us that I used to get my games back in the day.

My GF ( Ms. Do ) and I had a great time playing and admiring your Kiosk. We would like to thank you for inviting us over. Great job restoring this to it's original glory.

Pictures don't do this fantastic item justice.