IGNORED

Finally got a 5200

DragonmasterDan

Having waited years I finally got a 5200, it's a two port system with box, manual, inserts, all cables along with 11 games (some loose some with box and manual)

I've noticed a few things, first off the controllers. In the set I got the controllers aren't bad, but the design of some of the games is. Is this common, let me give you some examples

Wizards of Wor is controlled with the second player port. WHY?

Qbert you have to press fire to jump, I get that the stick is analog and they don't want Q-Bert running off, but fire to jump. UGH, I don't have the manual and I can't even figure out how I am supposed to move Frogger. It seems like to compensate for the controllers lack of self centering a lot of games made sacrifices. How common is this?

With Q*bert, just hold in one of the lower fire buttons when you want to move, and release when you want to stop but don't think you can auto-center the stick manually - you don't have to press the fire button for each jump.

However for Frogger, I do squeeze the fire buttons for each hop (while pressing in the desired direction) - it really doesn't take long to adjust and quickly becomes no problem.

Congrats - I got my 5200 a couple of years ago and I've really had a lot of fun with it. I honestly haven't noticed too many games with flat out bad controls (that said, I only have about 20 games). There are a few that you need to adjust to, but overall the controllers work well.

wizard of wor has always been a quandry for me

the arcade game has the yellow guy as player one but player one is on the right but controller port 2 is on the right so i guess to not confuse people they make the right guy use the right controller

why didnt they just make it so when you press start you control the blue guy i guess since everybody remember playing with the yellow guy alone they didnt want confusion which caused confusion

glad you get to start out with a controller that works nothing would be more frustrating than geting a 1st setup and not being able to at least for a while feel how it is supposed to go

parker brothers had a bit of schitsophrenia they made you press buttons to move in frogger frogger 2 and qbert

yet just let you walk around normal with popeye and mr do

On a related note, I have 5200 Q*Bert, but I don't think I ever actually played it. Inspired by this thread I played a few rounds last night and I think it's an excellent port. Having to press the button to jump is a little weird, but I got used to it pretty quick.

The only thing I liked about the port is the sound, the fire to move is just a pain to control

Q*bert had wack controls on other systems with digital controllers too, because you had to turn the controller diagonally in your hand and hold it that way, and inevitably I would often press the wrong way as I'd neglect to keep the controller twisted.

But anyway 5200 Q*bert won me over years ago - its a great fast puzzle game. In level 5 you have to jump twice on each cube to get destination color, and it returns to original color if you jump on it again. Then in level 6, same rules but twice (!) as fast! I've reached at least level 9 in the past, it is doable but is frantic and challenging.

I've noticed a few things, first off the controllers.

'magine that - first topic of discussion is regarding the controllers! : ]

5200 is the system I love to hate...I loved it at first and now I'm liking it less and less. Nevertheless, it has its place in the classic collection.

Super Breakout - yawn...

Defender, Frogger, Galaxian, Jungle Hunt, Ms. Pac and Pac-Man are all better on the ColecoVision and Space Invaders, BerZerk are better on the 2600. Centipede, Robotron, Dig Dug, Mario Bros. are better on the 7800. I do not have the 5200 version of Jr. Pac-Man but the 7800 version is awesome. Therefore, I have no reason to play those games on the 5200.

So, what the heck is left?

One game I love is Qix - it's addictive and it's one game unaffected by the broken stock joysticks.

Pengo and Kangaroo are also nice fillers for my arcade port collection.

ColecoVision gets the most play in my house and my 5200 just sits there collecting dust for the most part...

Edited by rmaerz

I've noticed a few things, first off the controllers.

One game I love is Qix - it's addictive and it's one game unaffected by the broken stock joysticks.

Pengo and Kangaroo are also nice fillers for my arcade port collection.

ColecoVision gets the most play in my house and my 5200 just sits there collecting dust for the most part...

yup qix is great it was meant to be played with 2 buttons for the 2 speeds

robotron is great with 2 controllers and space dungeon is only playable with 2 controllers

i like kangaroo but pengo just annoys me

i realy enjoy gyruss it takes a couple seconds to load after pressing power though sometimes it freaks me out cause i think my machine is broke

vanguard is great but why oh why didnt they have it use 2 controllers like robotron