IGNORED

Please help with the ColecoVision Opgrade Module

opcode

Help decide what the Opgrade Module should be  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose the statement(s) which best describe your view about what the OM should be:

• OM is a pluggable module for the CV with minimum functionality, lowest possible price
    • OM is a pluggable module with advanced functionality, like A/V outputs
    • OM is a standalone device that can plays all the CV games, and also have the OM functionality
    • Who cares about expansion modules?
    • I have a better idea...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Eduardo-

As far a an OM vs OM light, will there be any games produced that will run on one but not the other? In other words can you foresee any games that would need the capabilities of the full module and say not be playable on the light version?

If we go with the light version, the that's it, no more modules. After that I will concentrate on the the standalone, which will have even more features, as I described many posts ago. It's like OM is CV 1.5, standalone is CV 2.0.

Hi Eduardo,

I've been reading about your progress on the OM with much interest. I think the OM will be a huge success,

especially with such reasonable price.

My question is regarding the BIOS XP: Will you consider opening the specifications for other homebrewers or will it

be closed source? will for example other homebrewers be able to access the advanced features like compact flash, etc.

Either way I think the OM will be a great product :-)

retroclouds

Actually J-F (CollectorVision) already expressed interest in developing for the OM, I believe Luc (now Team Pixelboy) should eventualy come aboard too. Of course I will keep them updated as I progress so that we can have more games for the OM... :)

Eduardo-

As far a an OM vs OM light, will there be any games produced that will run on one but not the other? In other words can you foresee any games that would need the capabilities of the full module and say not be playable on the light version?

If we go with the light version, the that's it, no more modules. After that I will concentrate on the the standalone, which will have even more features, as I described many posts ago. It's like OM is CV 1.5, standalone is CV 2.0.

OK then, personally, I would rather see a full blown OM module with the same features as the standalone. That way, whichever one people buy they will have the exact same features. I think in the long run especially when it comes to development that would be the better way to go. People wouldn't have to program different versions for say the OM lite vs the standalone CV, or worse cut out or cut back on features because they couldn't be supported on one platform and not the other.

Don't go the route MS did with the 360 and produce one with less features than the other (XBOX 360 Pro vs Core).

BTW, would someone from Canada help me contacting an edge connector supplier, please? The only company I could find that still produces "90 degrees" 60 pin female edge connectors is located somewhere in Canada, and I am in need of a half dozen sample connectors for the next prototypes. Please contact me if you live in Canada and are willing to help...

Eduardo, if you still need someone from Canada to help then drop me a PM.

Considering that the module will only cost $15 more than were I to buy DKA by itself, I am in the camp of people that would actually end up buying both products (module and CV2). I can wait for the more advanced features. I also really like the fact that the light module will lead to more Opcode gaming goodness hitting my CV sooner.

While I wait for the flash memories I have been giving the BIOS XP some serious thinking. Here is an outline of what I have planned so far:

As probably some of you know, the BIOS XP is a 128KB flash memory divided into 16 pages of 8KB. The active page can be changed anytime thru special routines in the “inter-page call area” (otherwise the system would crash).

I already have some the pages outlined. Page 0 is the bootstrap, which is responsible for selecting the cartridge type based on the cartridge header. Currently the CV has two cartridge types, Coleco made games with the logo screen (you know, that screen with the long delay) and games with no default logo screen (used by 3rd party games). The OM adds a 3rd type, ColecoVision XP games (the CV2 standalone should add another type).

Ok, so what happens for each of those types? Type 0, no logo, selects BIOS page 1 (what is the original CV BIOS) and simply runs the game.

Type 1, Coleco game with default CV logo, now features a brand new logo screen, with graphics for the logo that better reflect the actual ColecoVision logo, and a brand new bold arcade font. The logo screen delay is now NMI controlled so no matter how fast your CPU runs (useful when the CV2 is here) the delay will always be the same (it also takes in consideration if the system is PAL or NTSC), and the logo screen can be skipped by pressing any button. After the logo screen, BIOS page 1 (the old BIOS) is selected and the game runs as usual. BTW, the font in the old BIOS will be user customizable thru the BIOS GUI.

Type 2, CV XP games (i.e., games where the OM use is mandatory), will have an exclusive boot screen (which won't mention Coleco by default), and after that, page 2 will be selected. Page 2 will feature a complete new set of low level I/O routines, very optimized, custom tailored for the devices in the OM (in addition to the devices in the CV). Another feature of the page 2 BIOS is to keep track of all system settings so complete system states can be saved and restored, allowing a game to be continued even after the CV has been turned off.

Finally the remaining pages should contain the GUI and CF access routines, with probably a few pages left empty for future expansions and upgrades.

And all of that is just the surface of what the BIOS XP is, because once we start to think about the GUI, the list of features should get pretty long.

So here is the very first version of the BIOS XP. So far the only thing implemented is boot-up. The pictures show that both Coleco and non-Coleco games are already running normally. All games I tested worked fine, but of course I tested like 10~15 games only. The very first version of the BIOS also confirms that the BIOS mapper is working properly. With that all the components of the first version of the OM has been properly tested and proved to be working properly. Not bad for a first try. :)

post-1432-125276906096_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276907032_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276907987_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276908834_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276910034_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276911024_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276911888_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276913088_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276913938_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276914763_thumb.jpg

post-1432-125276915838_thumb.jpg

I find the progress on BIOS XP very interesting.

About 1,5 years ago I invested some time in looking at colecovision game roms.

To be more specific I scanned the roms for OS7 calls.

To my surprise I found out that most games were only using a few OS7 calls.

I don't recall that the more advanced calls were even used at all (PUT_SEMI, deferred writes, etc.)

Guess that most software companies (Konami, Activision) had their own libraries and did not

want to rely on OS routines. Also rumour has it that OS7 calls are slow...

Now my question is, will BIOS_XP also contain new updated game routines that can be used by homebrewers?

Would be cool if BIOS XP would contain new stuff like advanced sprite driver, ...

retroclouds

I find the progress on BIOS XP very interesting.

About 1,5 years ago I invested some time in looking at colecovision game roms.

To be more specific I scanned the roms for OS7 calls.

To my surprise I found out that most games were only using a few OS7 calls.

I don't recall that the more advanced calls were even used at all (PUT_SEMI, deferred writes, etc.)

Guess that most software companies (Konami, Activision) had their own libraries and did not

want to rely on OS routines. Also rumour has it that OS7 calls are slow...

That is the problem with BIOSes that try to be more than a BIOS should be, they start to look more like semi game-engines. The problem with game engines is that every programmer has his/her own idea of what a game-engine should be like, and an engine that sounds like heaven to a programmer can be look like a hell of a mess to another.

Now my question is, will BIOS_XP also contain new updated game routines that can be used by homebrewers?

Would be cool if BIOS XP would contain new stuff like advanced sprite driver, ...

Personally I don't like the idea of BIOSes with routines that go beyond the very basic I/O handling. I can write the best sprite handling routine I can think of, and still most homebrewers will probably think my routine is inefficient, or spend too much time doing something they don't need, or simply doesn't satisfy their requirements. Furthermore, it is quite hard to write a complex general purpose routine that is at the same time flexible enough to be used in different scenarios and efficient enough to not create unnecessary overheads. IMHO, in slow systems like the CV custom made routines or libraries are the way to go, so I encourage homebrewers to create their own libraries.

The only area where I plan to go beyond basic low level is CF access, since IDE+FAT16 is reasonably complex to be implemented in a per game basis.

Eduardo

EDIT: what I think would be smatter and more productive is to share an advanced set of routines such as sprite and sound drivers so that homebrewers would modify them to their liking and needs. Or examples of how to use the MegaRAM, the CF, the AY-3-8910 PSG and the I/O port.

Edited by opcode

Hi Eduardo... :)

Which AV Output have you used for these screenshots above.

Is it with the Sony CXA1645, or is it just a regular signal. ?

There is also CXA2075, what is the primary difference between 1645 and 2075. ?

Hi Ole,

The pictures were taken from an unmodified CV, only the module was plugged in (which didn't include any new video capability).

AFAIK, the 2075 is almost the same as the 1645, except that it requires a few less components (mostly capacitors). In fact one should be able to replace the 1645 with a 2075 pretty easily.

Now I am working on the opening for OM games, which should look somewhat familiar for people who was drooling over the CV TV commencials back in the day... ;)

Eduardo

I just posted a small video for the WIP boot animation that will be used with OM exclusive games (the boot is part of the BIOS XP). I was aiming for a cool 80s retro look, something along the lines of the old Coleco commercials. Hope it looks good enough.

I was just wondering that perhaps we should add an extra name there so that the user knows he/she is playing an OM exclusive game. I thought of a few names like "Opgraded", or "XPanded" or perhaps "Plus". I don't know, any ideas?

For the sake of the retro feel maybe use the word "Super" in there somehow. It feels like the 80's version of today's 2.0 to me. And I like the nod to the SGM. ;)

So, if I'm understanding the nature of the CV2 or standalone "coleco on a chip" option... that would make a Ben Heck style ColecoVision portable a great deal easier, no? Or am I missing something fundamental? I've wanted to hack a CV into a portable for some time now, but all the headache (and ultimately case space for PCBs) required has put me off. I don't want a portable the size of an Etch-a-Sketch. Tho' I'd sorely love to build custom PSP style ColecoVisions if the standalone were suited to it.

Edited by pixelhugger

Thanks for both suggestions. About "Super", my concern with going the SGM route is that the purists among us may perceive that as sacrilege to name a modern device after the mythic never released Coleco module. With my games I took the deliberated decision of creating a distinct visual presentation in terms of packaging presentation and all, for several reasons, one of them being that I wanted to establish myself as something new, not a continuation of what Coleco was doing (what frankly was quite mediocre by the end of the CV commercial lifespan). But with the OM, if possible, I would like to go the opposite route, make it look like a Coleco product. I say "if possible" because that will depend greatly on the feasibility of producing a custom case. So while I think "Opgrade Module" is a cute name, it could be temporary depending on how things evolve. If a custom plastic case is possible them we would decide on a new name later. In the past I suggested the name “Super Expansion Module”, because I thought the OM was far beyond the planned SGM capabilities. Or it could be “Expansion Module #4”, or both, I don’t know…

Ok, so while we wait to see what happens with the OM name, I will refine the existing code for the bootstrap and then move on to the GUI (the bootstrap page still have about half of its 8KB free). I have a few ideas already for what the GUI should look like, as well as the functions it should include. Things like Setup, Cartridge, Games, Users, Game Data, Scoreboards and a few more. However before I start with the GUI I should finish the PCB for the 2nd version of the OM, so we can have the complete system available for testing and development this November. After that I will have a long road ahead working on the BIOS.

I just posted a small video for the WIP boot animation that will be used with OM exclusive games (the boot is part of the BIOS XP). I was aiming for a cool 80s retro look, something along the lines of the old Coleco commercials. Hope it looks good enough.

That was a terrific boot screen, very retro, and period appropriate.

I was just wondering that perhaps we should add an extra name there so that the user knows he/she is playing an OM exclusive game. I thought of a few names like "Opgraded", or "XPanded" or perhaps "Plus". I don't know, any ideas?

Looks beyond good enough-- looks state of the art 8 bit! It'd be just like the commercial if you were able to add the 'guy at the tv' logo. :)

post-10625-125326328454_thumb.jpg