IGNORED

Atari 2600 Homebrew Mascot

RevEng

Well, it definitely is an interesting thought experiment. In that spirit, I'll throw my hat in...

How about: Ari Ant

He's a humanoid worker ant. Being a polymath day-laborer by trade, Ari has many different jobs... which would therefore translate to many different kinds of gameplay. Like an ant, he is both very simple and tremendously complex. Also, his name is an anagram of "Atarian", and his initials are AA :) I'll come up with some mockups if anyone likes it.

Cheers,

Jarod.

I'm all for Ari Ant. We need some player data.

Ari Ant as a 16 line high single player. I'm pretty happy with the front and back view. The side view could use some work though.

I like it!

Let me be the first to volunteer giving him a cameo in my upcoming homebrew...

--Will

Edited by e1will

Nice job CurtisP. He looks great!

Nicely done, jrok. It looks like you started something rolling! Is it too late to make the ant a hunchback? ;)

From your description, I get he's hard working and never gives up, but what else sets Ari apart from the rest of the colony? Does Ari have any weaknesses or enemies? secret aspirations?

Ari Ant as a 16 line high single player. I'm pretty happy with the front and back view. The side view could use some work though.

That's good!

What I was thinking was that the actual sprite could be very subjective. In some games, Ari could be a cute humanoid, while in others he could be a six-legged nightmare, or maybe even A.R.I (Armored Robotic Insect). I guess what I mean is that a multi-legged insect might be good for some games, while a cute biped might be good for others, no? If there's no specific graphic or spriteset, people could be free to interpret him and be creative with him.

Edited by jrok

That's good!

What I was thinking was that the actual sprite could be very subjective. In some games, Ari could be a cute humanoid, while in others he could be a six-legged nightmare, or maybe even A.R.I (Armored Robotic Insect). I guess what I mean is that a multi-legged insect might be good for some games, while a cute biped might be good for others, no? If there's no specific graphic or spriteset, people could be free to interpret him and be creative with him.

One other thought I had about why an "ant" would make a good mascot is that it would provide some "creative cover" for games that use non-sprite based objects to represent the player, like a missile or the ball. In these cases, the reasoning behind using a single pixel for the hero could be that "ants are very small" :)

Of course, I guess that leads back into thorny thicket of whether designers would use such a character as a crutch to generate interest without unique gameplay.

EDT:

Just for fun, I worked up a possible Ari implementation that incorporates the Atari "Fuji" symbol.

post-21152-1249406733.gif

Edited by jrok
  • Like 1

I really like the ant idea. Interestingly, almost 15 years ago, I had an idea for a game for the c64 that would work extremely well on the atari. I had named it Mega ant Harvey but Mega ant Ari sounds almost the same and works out better as well.

The idea was you played as the single ant and starts out with you above ground outside the colony and to most of the colony, you were looked down upon and stayed to yourself for t most part. You decided to create something new, and when you showed it to everyone, they just laughed. So, you went to the surface to be alone and sulk.

You hear a noise from below and find the entrance to be blocked. You findout that enemy fire ants snuck in and captured the colony and traped them at the lower levels. So it's up to you to save everyone. You enter through the emergency exit but it has been washed out by rain water and no maintanence has been done in quite a while.

The game plays by vertical scrolling up and since it has been washed out, there are now multiple paths for you to take but since everyting is so rough, you decide to find things like old apples, nuts, and any other type of object to dig into and just roll down the paths, you can decide which forks to take along the way and even jump across obsticale and breaks in the path to get ahead. There are powerups, jewels, and bonuses for rescuing other ants along the way. Every level gets consecutively harder and each has a boss to defeat. I never did much more than a basic concept so I thought I would throw the idea out there.

Peace!

He should be called "Homey".

I don't get it.

Though he could have friends, such as:

Brill E. - Nerdy, wears glasses. Sometimes called "Sav."

Arrog - Bold and narcissistic

Antiperspire and D. Odor - Athletic but sweaty twins

Claire Voy - Fortune teller

Confid - Ari's best friend

Devi - The local pervert

Eleph - Never forgets

Flam Boy - Not that there's anything wrong with that

Mute - Half-spider

Flat U. - Keep your distance

He should be called "Homey".

I don't get it.

Though he could have friends, such as:

Brill E. - Nerdy, wears glasses. Sometimes called "Sav."

Arrog - Bold and narcissistic

Antiperspire and D. Odor - Athletic but sweaty twins

Claire Voy - Fortune teller

Confid - Ari's best friend

Devi - The local pervert

Eleph - Never forgets

Flam Boy - Not that there's anything wrong with that

Mute - Half-spider

Flat U. - Keep your distance

Don't forget:

Princess Tia - Ari's highly-kidnappable sovereign love interest.

• 2 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=1807727:date=Mon Aug 3, 2009 6:15 PM:name=Nukey Shay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nukey Shay @ Mon Aug 3, 2009 6:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Elevators Amiss = Spy's Demise. And wasn't Hunchy based on an arcade game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

One of them (Hunchy/Hunchy II) is original, I think. Quasimodo is a public domain character, no matter what Disney says.

I can see Quasimodo becoming a mascot. I don't know why, but a see him becoming a mascot, with everyone putting him through every genre.

• 1 month later...

Ari has been animated. The code is not at all optimized, but it works.

I just found this thread, and I have to say I like the idea, I'm playing on using Ari in some of my up coming games!!!! I really like the idea of having an Atari Mascot.

Has anyone thought about opening a thread to just create characters that any dev would be allowed to use in there games?

Thanks

Disjaukifa

I have a WIP with Ari presently too. Tentatively, its titled "ari vs the mole king".

I think it would be great to have a thread that was a repository of public domain artwork, sprites, characters, etc.

Yes and even make it a sticky so those of us that can program but lack , or in my case suck, at graphic design could just pull the images and use in their game without having to worry about violating copy right!!!

I would even contribute some . . . not saying they would be any good though :roll:

-Disjaukifa

If we want to make this a cross-game character, I recommend providing multiple resolutions to match different game kernels.

8 high double scanline monochrome/multicolor.

12 high double scanline monochrome/multicolor.

16 high double scanline monochrome/multicolor.

16 high single scanline monochrome/multicolor.

24 high single scanline monochrome/multicolor.

32 high single scanline monochrome/multicolor.

With that kind of a library of mixed resolutions it would be easier for homebrewers to pick up and use either as a main character or for cameos.

Cheers!