IGNORED

Worth of a TurboGrafx 16?

What does a TurboGrafx 16 with hook ups and a turbo tap go for these days (lucky garage sales and thrift finds aside)? I'm seeing $70-$80 in the wild, but that seems pretty steep to me.

Depends on how much you're going to play it. $70 sounds fair. I only payed $10 for mine on Ebay but that was just luck that somebody misspelled the title so nobody else bid but I would gladly have paid $70 for one.

A local Kijiji seller is trying to sell one with turbo booster and 5 loose common games for $100 but he's had no takers in the several weeks its been listed and relisted. I'd say $50 for a bare system with hookups is the most I'd pay. I got one from a retro game shop for $30 and it came with 2 games. No turbo tap though. I was lucky to get a nice working unit with the booster for $7 and a turbo tap and all hookups at a value village but that was luck and good timing. My find of the year, really.

I wouldn't pay more than $35 for a system with a/v and the p/s.

Cheapass! :P

Loose complete $40-50 in decent/good condition

Boxed complete $50-70 in decent/good condition

CIB with all papers and stuff $70-100 in good/great condition

I see many of these missing covers...broken controllers...missing AC and the still go for $40ish in piss poor condition

i been trying to get a TG16 cheap. always wanted one.

seems like their $25+ on ebay for system, cords, and one controller, and get sniped upto $40-$50 by auction end. with game it seems to hit $50-$70.

i've never seen one locally here, craigslist or IRL, except once, it was boxed and they wanted $125.

i'll get one someday.

The T-16 is one of the systems that intrigues me the most that I haven't had at some point. What exactly is the booster?

Comes with Bonk and the pack-in.

The place that is selling it doesn't sell crap. It's actually in pretty good shape, and at least there is return policy. I've seen them on ebay, but with having to pay shipping, how much am I saving.

I think it is time to fire up the emulator and see if I am still truly that interested as I was a few years ago. And it is worth keeping a track on how much the games I want go for. Last year, I got a Saturn having found memories of one, only to find out that the games I had are way to expensive and so the system sat. I have to keep in mind my Colecovision died too, and that may have to come first.

There, I think I've talked myself out of the impulse purchase. If I miss out on this one, there will always be another.

Edited by cybercylon

$70-$80 for a TG-16 sounds crazy to me. For less money you could probably get a PC Engine from Japan. I always thought they were cooler because of how tiny they are. I think you can play TG-16 games on them with an adapter. I would definately play many of the games on an emulator first to see if the game library is even to your tastes. I found the TG library to be very quirky/Japanese. It didn't appeal to me at all.

$70-$80 for a TG-16 sounds crazy to me. For less money you could probably get a PC Engine from Japan. I always thought they were cooler because of how tiny they are. I think you can play TG-16 games on them with an adapter. I would definately play many of the games on an emulator first to see if the game library is even to your tastes. I found the TG library to be very quirky/Japanese. It didn't appeal to me at all.

TG-16 prices in my area are retarded. The guy who owns the Play-N-Trade over here charges $125 each for just the console and controller.

That's ridiculous! :( My friend had one back in the day, and I loved playing it, but at the prices I've seen it's not worth my money unless I was really die-hard about getting one. I've NEVER seen one around here, in any way, shape or form, at any place, including yard/tag sale and flea markets.

-Steve

I wouldn't pay more than $35 for a system with a/v and the p/s.

Cheapass! :P

Loose complete $40-50 in decent/good condition

Boxed complete $50-70 in decent/good condition

CIB with all papers and stuff $70-100 in good/great condition

I see many of these missing covers...broken controllers...missing AC and the still go for $40ish in piss poor condition

He's not cheaper than me!

Whatever the cost of buying the Magic Engine emulator is, that's what a TG-16 is worth to me! :twisted:

:D OK, I'm just joking. But some of the prices I see for TG-16's are ridiculous. I know they were sorta rare in the US, but no way in hell would I pay $100+ for a 15 - 20 year old piece of electronic equipment.

About $50 to $60 for Turbografx-16 with all the hook-ups and a game sounds about right.

Also if you are looking into getting one you might want to think about going the import route and getting a PC Engine.

Import games are much cheaper that there U.S. counterparts for the most part and there are a ton more games to pick from. :)

Wow, some of those prices are insane. I had 5 different ones over the years, but never spent over $20 for a complete system at any time....even with games. And four of them were off Ebay (the other was actually free from a friend who just didn't want it anymore) Of course it's been 5 years since I bought the last one, but if there's any truth to those prices, maybe I need to sell one (or two)

Am telling you Stitch go the import route and get a PC Engine you will be grabbing up lots of games on the cheap. :)

I think I might now. It has AV out as well. Plus the CD attachment is dirt cheap (about $50) compared to $250 for a bare unit with no system card untested.

I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a TG-16.

The fact of the matter is that it really paints you into a corner with the game library, since you need a very expensive CD add-on to play anything other than HuCards, and even if you're fine with HuCards, you need a very expensive TurboBooster+ in order to save your game (Yes, I suppose it's not REQUIRED, but it really feels primitive when you have to use passwords for everything when many NES games can save just fine).

If you know that all you want from the system is a tiny handful of HuCard games, you're probably better off looking for ports of those games to other systems. If you plan to actually get some mileage out of a system, I'd recommend getting a modded Japanese Duo-R or Duo-RX (Stay away from the "regular" Duo, as it is plagued by capacitor problems). This would allow you to play almost everything, including Japanese games which are far more plentiful and have far more variety than what we got in North America. This route is more expensive initially... but buying all kinds of add-ons for the base TG-16 would cost you more in the long run.

--Zero