IGNORED

Trashmania - A 4k game

Animan

It's done! Trashman!

The story:

The local garbage plant has been shutdown after a series of unintentionally hilarious lawsuits (to sum it up, the workers were eating the garbage to help cut down there trash). So, you go out to take care of it yourself. You. Are. TRASHMAN!!!

How to play:

The controls are your typical run and jump game. left and right moves, fire jumps. Your goal is to collect all nine trashcans and take them to the dumpsters. There is one can per screen. you can only hold one can at a time. Also, there is a timer. it may give you a few minutes, but you'll need that long time to complete the game.

THE MYSTERIOUS LITTER!!!:

the mysterious litter is the guy who is trying to stop you from achieving your goal. if he touches you, you are stunned for a bit. watch out!

There, that sums it up. Enjoy!

trashman.bin

post-23192-1249524820_thumb.png

post-23192-1249524857_thumb.png

Edited by Animan

It's pretty good, but I'm a little confused about something. I pick up a can on the second screen, and then what? I moved right until I couldn't go any further, but I wasn't sure what to do next.

You go back to the first screen and go left until you here a sound, and your score goes down one.

AWESOME GAME! I LOVE IT!!!!!

did you forget the code that makes the game end when the time runs out?

also on the you win screen you should take out the extra ! and put a space between the words. more readable

You didn't like the original then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trashman_(video_game)

Woah, epic coincidence. May need to change the name or something. That's by far the most bizarre thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life.

Edited by Animan

AWESOME GAME! I LOVE IT!!!!!

did you forget the code that makes the game end when the time runs out?

also on the you win screen you should take out the extra ! and put a space between the words. more readable

Yeah, the game is almost done. I may have to switch to 8k because of the fact i have 5 bytes left. Also, i have no variables left, and i don't want to usethe superchip. (Might release this on cartridge if possible).

As a result, more things may be added, and make it even better.

if you show us the code maby someone can help you optimize it. that way you can have more bytes and variables.

OK, however i did find a way to save some bytes of memory. But still no variables. I'm at a friends house so i can't do anything to the game so i can't post it. I'll be back home later to post the source code for ya'll to look at and screw with ;) .

-Animan

First off, I like the game concept, the screens have humour in them, and the speeding up near the end is a nice touch!

I hesitated about making the rest of this post, because I didn't want to take away from what you've accomplished so far... hopefully you'll take it in the spirit it's given in.

I have 2 recommendations for your source code:

1. use the dim command to give yourself descriptive variable names, and
  2. dim them up top of your source.

Then only use descriptive names in your code.

Descriptive names make the source code more self-documenting (more scaleable, easier for people to help you, most importantly easier for you to work with) and it makes the code easier to search through for variable usage. (As it stands, you can't automatically search through the code for every usage of the variable "r", because you'll have a whole bunch of false-positives when your search matches any command containing the letter r.)

Having the dims all up at the top of the code is a great help when trying to squeeze variable usage; there's one central place to look and understand how you're using each memory location. It also makes it easier to use the def command to combine together any variables you use in a true/false manner into a single variable with bitwise fields.

I'm positive your rom and variables can be squeezed. However, much of the information I'd need to give recommendations is obfuscated by the generic variables.

Edited by RevEng

Hi!

It's fun:

Good stuff:

- I like the animation

- I like the story

- I like the level transitions (like Private Eye)

Bugs:

- When you win the game, the timer's still going, and it's messed up. It keeps adding garbage cans to the score at the bottom.

I'm guessing it's supposed to tally up the remaining seconds as your score? Cuz, if so, it's not working right. :)

Notes:

- I think it's too easy. I ate pavement waaay too many times to be eligible to win. :)

- Understanding that bB is limited, are there any kernels out there for use that don't have the bB black pf separators of death?

- I'm wondering if it's possible to jump over a garbage can? Seems it would be hard, but I'm curious.

-John

• 1 year later...

This game is one year old now. Wow. I was at one time working on a "Plus!" version to touch up and add a few things. However, that file is buried in my hard drive, and may not even exist anymore.

Right now I am working on Monaco GP 2600, but I hope to someday remake this game in assembly. Thanks to all who enjoyed this game and gave suggestions. This is the only game I have made that I still play from time to time. I look back and realize how much it lacks in replay value, yet it still is very playable :P .

Would you mind if I get Al to make me a cartridge?

AX

No, I wouldn't mind. I'm almost flattered, actually. It would be nice if I actually get around and fix that bug at the end. If anyone feels like doing a label, go ahead. I might do one, but I'm not the best artist. Label contest, anyone?

In other words, I, Jonathon Bont, give full permission for others to put Trashmania on cartridge through the custom Atari 2600 cartridge on the AtariAge Store.

If enough people want this on cart, I might consider putting this on the store, but I have no clue how that works...

Edited by Animan

AX

No, I wouldn't mind. I'm almost flattered, actually. It would be nice if I actually get around and fix that bug at the end. If anyone feels like doing a label, go ahead. I might do one, but I'm not the best artist. Label contest, anyone?

In other words, I, Jonathon Bont, give full permission for others to put Trashmania on cartridge through the custom Atari 2600 cartridge on the AtariAge Store.

If enough people want this on cart, I might consider putting this on the store, but I have no clue how that works...

Just PM Albert.. I'll be getting the Melody board so it can be upgraded if you ever change the rom.

As for a label... why am I sooooo tempted... :D

trashmania-top.jpg

trashmania-main.jpg

AX

• Like 1

AX

Just PM Albert.. I'll be getting the Melody board so it can be upgraded if you ever change the rom.

As for a label... why am I sooooo tempted... :D

trashmania-top.jpg

trashmania-main.jpg

AX

I'll be honest, I forgot where that is from...

OK, maybe once all the bugs are fixed and what not, I'll PM Albert and see what I can do.