IGNORED

Trashmania - A 4k game

Animan

Here's another bug:

Hold space bar while jumping. When you pick up a trash can and hit the enemy, the trash can will ALSO appear on the 1st screen you start off on. It will also appear on screen/s you already completed. So, if you were on the 4th screen, do the jump thing, get hit, a trash can will appear on the 3rd and I'm not sure, but possibly ones before it.

Also, if you get a trash can, get hit by enemy, hit reset, the trash can starts off on the first screen.

Looks like you're missing one pixel in the H in your title. Seems to be missing one.

The difficulty gets hard too fast.. I finally managed to make it to where it just starts speeding up. Should gradually increase better.

Edited by yuppicide

Here is (probably) the final release. However, I was able to trim some of the code down, so I have 210 bytes left. I was considering adding a title screen song, but I could never get it to sound the way I wanted it to. So if anyone wants to try there hand at adding music to this, go ahead. I'll be nice and post the source :) .

Changes:

-Instead of showing Trashmania the whole time, it is now used only at the beginning. Instead, the score bar is used to display the number of lives left (because none of you can keep track of a number between 0-3 :roll: )

-When moving left and then you stop, the trashman does not look back to the right. He now faces the direction he was moving last (looks a lot better).

-Left difficulty switch chooses either an enemy that doesn't change position based on area, or changes position everytime you go to a new screen (gave the option because some people preferred one enemy movement over another).

Still needs some playtesting, but I think I got most of the bugs ironed out (hopefully). So enjoy the (maybe) final release!

trashmania.bas.bin

trashmania.bas

-Instead of showing Trashmania the whole time, it is now used only at the beginning. Instead, the score bar is used to display the number of lives left (because none of you can keep track of a number between 0-3 :roll: )

That's the wrong attitude to have. No one needs to play your game. No matter how good a game is, you're lucky to have an audience. If you start acting all snooty, you will alienate the few players you already have.

Making a game isn't about your ego, it's about having fun, overcoming challenges, being grateful for help from better programmers, and trying to make players happy. If people have a rough day at work or school, they can sit down, play your game and get away from it all for a little while. If we can help players relieve stress and just generally feel better after playing, we've done a good job.

Everything in your game should be as user-friendly and intuitive as possible. It's your job to put everything you can on a silver platter for the player. If you think displaying the number of lives is too much of a burden, you might want to think about doing something other than making games.

Any time you start thinking more about yourself and less about the player, it's time to go out to a tree, find a good switch, and beat your ego until it's in the fetal position over in the corner of your mind.

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 4

I didn't even know you had only 3 lives. How do you die then? In some games (most games) I've hit the enemy 5 or 6 or 7 or even maybe 8 times before Game Over appears. Is that a bug?

Changes:

LOL! (guess you know where the +1 rep came from)

That's the wrong attitude to have. No one needs to play your game. No matter how good a game is, you're lucky to have an audience. If you start acting all snooty, you will alienate the few players you already have.

Making a game isn't about your ego, it's about having fun, overcoming challenges, being grateful for help from better programmers, and trying to make players happy. If people have a rough day at work or school, they can sit down, play your game and get away from it all for a little while. If we can help players relieve stress and just generally feel better after playing, we've done a good job.

Everything in your game should be as user-friendly and intuitive as possible. It's your job to put everything you can on a silver platter for the player. If you think displaying the number of lives is too much of a burden, you might want to think about doing something other than making games.

Any time you start thinking more about yourself and less about the player, it's time to go out to a tree, find a good switch, and beat your ego until it's in the fetal position over in the corner of your mind.

I'm not trying to be snooty. I just got some complaints about it, and decided to fix it. I never thought it'd be too hard to add. Sorry if that comment sounded a bit rude :( .

I'm not trying to be snooty. I just got some complaints about it, and decided to fix it. I never thought it'd be too hard to add. Sorry if that comment sounded a bit rude :( .

No problem. Looks like I can use some of what I wrote and plop it on my web site in case it might help someone in the future, so it was beneficial.

Some new bugs introduced:

When you lose your first life a dot is still left from the heart.

Your H in "Trash" is missing a dot still. So is the dot from AAAAAAH at the end in the H also.

I'm not sure if this is a bB specific issue or not. Can anyone confirm this?

There's a bug on the game over screen..

When you go through the right side of screen (are you supposed to be able to do that? you can't go left) the enemy blinks real fast on the screen.

This game is tough for me.. timing.. it's the reason why I hate the underground levels on Pitfall!.. that's one hard scorpion to jump.

• 9 years later...

We'll be checking out Trashmania on tomorrow's (Fri Aug 7) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 1PM PT | 4PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew