IGNORED

The R.I.P. Atari 2600 cart list

homerwannabee

Imagic, Subterranea

(yes, that one hurt)

Playaround, Gigolo (the Gigolo side of the Gigolo/Bachelor Party double-ender)

(how many more times can I write Gigolo?)

Subterranea mentioned above has a Dead ROM IC, but could be revived with an EEPROM placed on a board that'll fit into its case. Since it's both rare and fun to play, the label and shell have been preserved for this purpose. The IC is a VTi unit, I think. I've never seen one of these die, but I suppose it could happen.

It's worse when the cart you have that's dead is in excellent shape. Until the other day, all my dead carts have been pretty ratty looking.

Oh, yeah, one I forgot to mention is a Communist Mutants prototype that I attempted to dump earlier this year. Side A had too many audio drop outs for either of my Superchargers to load it. I don't think it was able to be converted to .bin format, either. Side B worked, but two of the games in that entire group of protos had different stuff on each side of the tape, so it is possible that an unknown version of the game has been lost. There was another Communist Mutants in the bunch, but I found out that I have to be smarter than the tape to load it. I haven't got it loaded yet.

Yet ANOTHER Jungle Hunt is dead (works for 1 minute then nothin')

AX

Well technically it makes it past the vine swings, then dives in the water for about 5-10 seconds, then goes black. We've tried it again and again, sometimes it dies just when you hit the water, sometimes it lets you stab a few gators then blacks out. The faster you make it through the vines, the more time you get in the water. Very strange... Usually they work or don't, I've never seen another game do this 'time limit' thing.

AX

Well technically it makes it past the vine swings, then dives in the water for about 5-10 seconds, then goes black. We've tried it again and again, sometimes it dies just when you hit the water, sometimes it lets you stab a few gators then blacks out. The faster you make it through the vines, the more time you get in the water. Very strange... Usually they work or don't, I've never seen another game do this 'time limit' thing.

Ring cracks, pure and simple. As it warms up, it has to be separating pins from the board.

AX

Ring cracks, pure and simple. As it warms up, it has to be separating pins from the board.

So is there anything I could do to fix it? I'm not an engineer, but I have fair technical knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through about 120 cartridge to see if they turn on.

Dead cartridges -

Crossbow - I even took it apart and fully cleaned it

Solaris.

Star Voyager by Imagic

I stopped by a used game store today and picked up another copy of Crossbow, Solaris, and Star Voyager among others. Crossbow and Star Voyager work, but Solaris does not. Were there any problems wit ther the run of Solaris cartridges? I just get a black screen.

AX

So is there anything I could do to fix it? I'm not an engineer, but I have fair technical knowledge.

Could you open the cartridge and resolder the pins?

Custers Revenge

Guess Custer can't get it on anymore.

:rolling: @ Atari Dogs. Must've been Custridge's Last Stand.

Do you have any idea on how to fix the cart? It is just a bunch of lines when I put it in. No sound either.

Try the old rubbing alcohol on a qtip first, if that doesn't work, try a very light, fine grit sandpaper to get some of the oxidation off. I resurrected an old reactor cart using sandpaper when nothing else worked and it appeared dead.

Try the old rubbing alcohol on a qtip first, if that doesn't work, try a very light, fine grit sandpaper to get some of the oxidation off. I resurrected an old reactor cart using sandpaper when nothing else worked and it appeared dead.

I tried all that and my No Escape is still dead :sad: guess I just need to see if I can find another copy. The weird thing is that the connectors looked really good good, no oxidation, it looks great. It seems like the PROM just failed.

-Disjaukifa

If this if referring to dead,as in dead game Eprom,prom, chips,I'm shocked at the numerous folks here who have dead games.I haven't seen a dead cartridge yet in my 30+ years of gaming!Cant say the same for games on cassettes,PC floppies and CD-Roms though!All my games bought in the early eighties new,still work like new.I wonder what factors determine if you're cartridges will fail.I haven't been babying my games either.They've always been stored out in the open air,not bagged or anything.They probably have had humid exposure,i'm sure of that,and they still work! :? :ponder: I must be lucky as all heck!I've had games dead because they're dirty,cleaned them up and they worked right away,that's it.

Edited by Rik

If this if referring to dead,as in dead game Eprom,prom, chips,I'm shocked at the numerous folks here who have dead games.I haven't seen a dead cartridge yet in my 30+ years of gaming!Cant say the same for games on cassettes,PC floppies and CD-Roms though!All my games bought in the early eighties new,still work like new.I wonder what factors determine if you're cartridges will fail.I haven't been babying my games either.They've always been stored out in the open air,not bagged or anything.They probably have had humid exposure,i'm sure of that,and they still work! :? :ponder: I must be lucky as all heck!I've had games dead because they're dirty,cleaned them up and they worked right away,that's it.

I have owned probably close to a thousand different games from one system or another and have only had one single game ever fail me (Custers Revenge). So your experience is not out of the norm at all.

• 1 month later...