IGNORED

Yar's strike - new game !

Thelen

For this years 4K minigame compo I made a little game : Yar's strike. It's a remake from the classic Yar's revenge from the atari 2600.

It features 8 levels before yar is finally safe home....

After 6 year's non 6502 programming it was real fun programming this every now and then last two months !

The primay objective is to break a path through the shield and destroy Qotile with a blast from the Zorlon cannon. The secondary

objective is to score as many points as possible :) !

For more information, and how to play see the readme file in the .zip file. Boot with basic disabled.

Have fun !

Let me know what you think of it :) !

Thelen

Yars_strike.zip

• Like 4

For this years 4K minigame compo I made a little game : Yar's strike. It's a remake from the classic Yar's revenge from the atari 2600.

After 6 year's non 6502 programming it was real fun programming this every now and then last two months !

The primay objective is to break a path through the shield and destroy Qotile with a blast from the Zorlon cannon. The secondary

For more information, and how to play see the readme file in the .zip file. Boot with basic disabled.

Have fun !

Thelen

Can't wait to try this out! How much code did you have to change to get this running?

Stephen Anderson

Can't wait to try this out! How much code did you have to change to get this running?

Stephen Anderson

I programmed it from scratch...only ripped out the yar bit pictures from the original :D

Nice - that's a hardcore way of doing it!

Stephen Anderson

Dunno that anyone cares - and by the way, the mini-game looks cool - but it was Yars' Revenge, not Yar's Revenge. Our hero is a Yars. You guys can feel free to flame me now for the anal level of this post. :)

Slor

Dunno that anyone cares - and by the way, the mini-game looks cool - but it was Yars' Revenge, not Yar's Revenge. Our hero is a Yars. You guys can feel free to flame me now for the anal level of this post. :)

Slor

How dare you be correct!!! :P

Have fun !

Thelen

Nice! Is this primarily 6502 coded?

Have any source available?

• Like 1

I know what you mean. I haven't done any 6502 for a looooong time but I'd done so much in the past that I haven't forgotten it (oh, I suppose writing a 6502 emulation a few years back didn't hurt in keeping it in my mind). But now I'm having loads of fun coding again on a machine I've barely touched before :)

Pete

Slor

:D I Think our hero is named Yar (that's what he is called like in the 2600 manual)

Nice! Is this primarily 6502 coded?

Have any source available?

100% 6502

The source code looks like crap ;)

Hi!

Nice little game! Congratulations!

I've just tested it on real HW and I realized that:

* there's no INI or RUN block = possible problem

* Pokey isn't properly initialized = two channels are playing wrong on real HW

* one block is being loaded under OS ($C134-$C15B)

F.

Thanks for all the warm comments ! :)

Thanks Fandal for finding those things !

*1 never used it before, but will it be important if the game will be loaded from a dos ?

Is it enough to put in 2E0-2E1 $2000 where the game code starts ?

*2 This was my first time ever doing some pokey sounds :) ..The only thing i do is

sta $00 in AUDCTL to intialize it, what should i change to intialize it the right way ?

Funny fact is, that by testing on the wiixl(atari800) emulator the sound screwed up,

and with atari800win it seemed allright. I tested it also on real hardware (65XE) and it worked properly. Strange !

*3 as far as i can see, there are no ORG's in $C*** or code leaking in this area, probably i'm missing something..

As soon as i know how to put things right I will upload the fixed versionn :)

Edited by Thelen

Thanks for all the warm comments ! :)

Thanks Fandal for trying it out !

*1 never used it before, but will it be important if the game will be loaded from a dos ?

Is it enough to put in 2E0-2E1 $2000 where the game code starts ?

It's recommended to use RUN or INI block. Some loaders might have a problem loading a binary without RUN/INI block. 2E0-2E1 $2000 is fine enough.

*2 This was my first time ever doing some pokey sounds :) ..The only thing i do is

sta $00 in AUDCTL to intialize it, what should i change to intialize it the right way ?

Funny fact is, that by testing on the wiixl(atari800) emulator the sound screwed up,

and with atari800win it seemed allright. I tested it also on real hardware 65XE and it worked properly. Strange !

Use this code to initialize Pokey:

LDA #$00

STA $D208 ; AUDCTL

LDA #$03

STA $D20F ; SKCTL

*3 as far as i can see, there are no ORG's in $C*** or code leaking in this area, probably i'm missing something..

As soon as i know how to put things right I will upload the fixed versionn :)

Here is complete structure of your binary:

$2000-$2C07 ($0C08)

$9C00-$9C1F ($0020)

$9D00-$9E0D ($010E)

$A000-$A058 ($0059)

$B40B-$B41C ($0012)

$B42C-$B437 ($000C)

$B4DC-$B503 ($0028)

$B5B0-$B5B8 ($0009)

$C134-$C15B ($0028) ; ???

$B793-$B79B ($0009)

$B89D-$B8A1 ($0005)

$B8C5-$B8CA ($0006)

$B8ED-$B8F1 ($0005)

F.

Having read the manual I think...

Yar (singular)

Yars (plural)

Yars' (possessive case)

Game title is "Yars' Revenge" so I would use "Yars' Strike".

I think you got me on that one, and I agree with both of you. The possessive Yars' indicating that it's the revenge of the whole colony of Yars, not just a single Yar. I stand corrected (at least half :)).

Slor

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

We're still waiting for a 5200 port of this classic, make it happen!!!

Here is the 8-bit port we 5200 owners are waiting to have for our systems!!!

Even if you can't put it onto a physical cartridge a ROM or .bin port will do us just fine, as long as it will work on the 5200!!!

• 1 year later...

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!

A 5200 version is here for you 5200 owners to download and try out, you can thank @playsoft for converting this great classic, just 4 years after I first saw the original 8-bit version on this topic that @Thelen created way back in 2009. It's an awesome (and tough) game to play but yes after 4 years after I called for a 5200 port Big Sexy finally has one of her own!!!

Here's the ROM for all of you!!!

Yar's Strike.bin

• Like 2