IGNORED

Odyssey 2 Help

Garner

Just got an Odyssey 2 off Ebay and it doesn't work (this is the second console I've bought from ebay that didn't work, just to keep count). It will only display solid colors on the screen (different color each time, green, brown, gray or black). I proceeded to clean out about a pound of dust and pet hair from the cartride port hoping this would help. Nothing. Cleaned the games quite well. Nothing. Removed the bottom and switched the rf from channel 3 to 4. Still Nothing. I am open to any ideas or suggestions that you may have on how to get this thing to work. Thanks.

Edited by Garner

I dont think its an RF problem. The OP says that he gets a display its just not the game. I suspect that the CPU or video chip needs checking for dry joints after checking that the CPU comes out of reset, the CPU oscillator starts up and the PSU caps and regulator are working OK.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out thoes links. I replaced the RF cable and still no luck. I made a video demonstrating what it's doing if anyone cares to check it out. Thanks again.

I watched your videos, and (I know you said you cleaned it but) it is acting like the contacts need to be cleaned. Have you tried an ink eraser? You will need to clean all of the cart edge contacts. Maxnovox use tinned edge contact on the carts and they oxidize very easily if not used for a long time. Rubber them with an ink eraser and use a piece of cardboard and some contact cleaner (sometimes call tv tuner cleaner) on the unit itself. I have owned 20 OD2 and all but one was fixed using this method. The other one had a power supply problem. OD2 has heavy duty contacts, so don't be shy with the elbow grease. ;)

When my O2 pulls this crap I insert and remove the cartridge 20-30 times rapidly to get the contacts touching. Might not be the recommended way to do it, but it usually works... or at least I see a change in the patterns! :)

But i agree, it is definitely acting like not all of the pins are making contact.

When my O2 pulls this crap I insert and remove the cartridge 20-30 times rapidly to get the contacts touching. Might not be the recommended way to do it, but it usually works... or at least I see a change in the patterns! :)

But i agree, it is definitely acting like not all of the pins are making contact.

Ah the prairie dogging method... yes, it does tend to work :D

AX

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out thoes links. I replaced the RF cable and still no luck. I made a video demonstrating what it's doing if anyone cares to check it out. Thanks again.

I watched your videos, and (I know you said you cleaned it but) it is acting like the contacts need to be cleaned. Have you tried an ink eraser? You will need to clean all of the cart edge contacts. Maxnovox use tinned edge contact on the carts and they oxidize very easily if not used for a long time. Rubber them with an ink eraser and use a piece of cardboard and some contact cleaner (sometimes call tv tuner cleaner) on the unit itself. I have owned 20 OD2 and all but one was fixed using this method. The other one had a power supply problem. OD2 has heavy duty contacts, so don't be shy with the elbow grease. ;)

Although I am not familiar with the Odessey2 I like this advice. I find that for the ColecoVision Deoxit works very well on cartridge contacts and cartridge slots. Here is a link to the product website.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Hope this is helpful.