IGNORED

Games that play themselves

eegad

I was reminded today of an interesting little feature that I always liked about the game Frogs and Flies - the fact that the game plays by itself if you don't touch the joystick. Just hit reset and sit back..... both player frogs will start jumping and trying to catch flies by themselves.

Which got me wondering..... are there any other 2600 games that can play themselves??

What happens in Frogs and Flies is a bit different from a regular attract mode, though, as the computer is playing in earnest, i.e. playing a proper game against itself; it's not just a demo, is it?

Really, it's an extension of what happens in one-player mode. The computer takes control of either frog if it sits idle for more than 10-15 seconds, and relinquishes control if you start giving it input again. If it were a regular attract mode, you wouldn't normally be able to "cut in" to a half-completed game.

I'm trying to think if there are any VCS sports titles that will play exhibition games for you to watch, like some of the NES games that offer that bizarre option, but I was never really into that part of the VCS library.

Edited by thegoldenband

Right - Frogs is different because it's actually keeping score. I'm not aware of any other 2600 games that does that

in its "attract" mode. I thought attract mode too at first, but the scoring is all the difference. And yes, some computer,

NES, etc. games - you can set up so the computer plays against itself. I'm sure there have been people that have

played out entire virtual seasons that way - for whatever reason. Could set up a little gambling scenario I suppose.

I vaguely remember a pong game keeping score in its attract mode though, but might have been an arcade

game...

Edited by save2600

yes, i didn't really mean just an attract mode....i meant a game that you could 'start', and either it would take over and play itself if left untouched, or you could actually select 'zero' players and have the computer play against itself, keeping score. 'frogs n flies' is the only game i knew of that could do that.

i'll have to check warlords over the weekend....i don't recall being able to let the computer play all 4 players, but if it can, then it qualifies.

as for video life, i'll check it on an emulator, but unfortunately i don't have the actual cart (rarity 10) to play on my 2600. :)

The RBI Baseball series by Tengen for the NES as well as Wheel of Fortune for the N64 have the computer playing itself. I wonder though, why games like Jr. Pac-Man don't keep score in their attract modes. I mean, it's obvious you're not playing a game if the controller isn't being moved.

I remember Midnight Magic seemd to do that, I could start a game of it and when I lost a ball, if I did not shoot the ball right away it would shoot it'self and the computer would play the game out the rest of the way. or maybe it was an attract mode of some kind that would kick been so long now since I played at least since 1988 who knows maybe I am wrong altogether.

Carl

Video Pinball may not have an attract mode, but you could start off the ball and leave the room. Come back hours later it will probably still be bouncing around. :D

Wow, I could have sworn I posted in this very thread about that exact game! Weird. But yeah, I can start that game, go get gas in my car, come back, and have a new high score!