IGNORED

THE LOUDEST ARCADE GAMES

retrorussell

If that's not enough, Hydro Thunder featured a subwoofer under the seats.

Wait, it DID!?! Hydro Thunder has now officially moved up a spot on my top 30 favorite arcade games.

Edited by Animan

To me the answer HAS to be Solar Fox. That friggin tune (0:09 in the video) would belt the hell out and sing all over the arcade.

2nd place has to go to Street Fighter 1.. especially the big machines with the punching pads. That annoying round start music is still melted in my brain.

• Haha 1

One thing that I noticed in my local arcades that are still open is that Ferrari F355 Challenge is ALWAYS super-loud, and when you sit in the cabinet, the engine sounds nearly make you deaf, especially when pressing the Start button after inserting a coin. Sega's Indy 500 can also sometimes be so loud the sound clips when it's active. San Francisco Rush 2049 and San Francisco Rush The Rock are next in line, and if I'm not mistaken, those 2 games also have subwoofers in their seats(and every place I've been to that has those games have the subs turned up ALL THE WAY TO THE MAX! MAX BASS FTW(I love extreme levels of bass)!).

On the contrary, Sega Rally 2 seems to be the game that's ALWAYS so silent you have to strain your ears just to hear a little noise.

Edited by Ace_1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That referee with the weird-assed voice from Mat Mania would drown out the other machines with his pin count.. WUNNN... TWWOOOO... ThrEEEEEEE!!!!!!

The first time I heard that I thought it was some clown-related game like Kick Man or Circus, or something like that with voice simulation. I got closer and saw it was a wrestling game and said, "That's a referee???" That's how weird his voice is.

I didn't even realize that was another one of your! Five stars and favorited. I'm surprised some hip-hop artist hasn't sampled that beat and done something with it.

Dj Tony Fox released a remix CD at Digital Press several years ago and had a remix version of Reactor called Crystal Reactor. I need to dig out my CD and convert it to mp3's.

Thanks for posting that Reactor vid on YouTube. It is almost impossible to find any info on the game. My two favorite arcade games are Reactor and Red Alert. Both insanely difficult to find.

I wanna hear that remix!

I was about to be impressed with myself for remembering who designed Reactor, but then I kept reading and realized why his name is still in my brain after all these years:

Tim Skelly

I have to put in a vote for dying in Q-Bert. The original cabs had a ball bearing or something inside that would make a loud clunk if Q-Bert fell off the pyramid. The other game that was really cranked loud back in the day at one of favorite arcades was Wizard Of Wor. You could hear that dirgy tune and the Worluk from anywhere in the arcade.

• Like 2

The helicopter flight game Steel Talons was really loud. I remember playing a game next to it back when I was a kid and it kept making these loud sounds that I can't even describe when you crashed. The sound would just pierce your body! They were so damn loud that I couldn't concentrate on the game I was playing!

Also, another vote for Zoo Keeper. It has the most insane sounds I've ever heard in a game.

If I remember correctly, Bezerk was loud with it's talking. Scary voice.

Proof that the owner could adjust the volume;I blew my first $73 dollars I ever made delivering newspaper on Berzerk, until it drove the owner and workers of the local 7-11 crazy....then they lowered the sound.

• Like 1

Interesting vid.. my Reactor video meets Queen's Another One Bites The Dust meets Crystal Castles.. with a smidgeon of Sinistar at the beginning! Neat-o!

I should have asked you before using your video. Sorry.

I don't care at all if people use it. Not a problem, you don't have to ask my permission!

I think it's cool what you did with it. Keep up the good work!!!

-retro

Zookeeper drove me nuts.. I hated the sound effects. The game was fun though.

I thought some of the sounds on Crossbow were kinda loud.. the ghost laughing, the good guys screaming when they died, other enemies laughing, etc.

Also, the "MOOOOO" sound on Cheyenne (can't remember when in the game it happened) was pretty loud as well.

Making buildings on Qix was a bit noisy, as well as your death sound.

Zookeeper drove me nuts.. I hated the sound effects. The game was fun though.

Man, I think the wacky, nonsensical sound effects are what make that game. It's loud, abrasive, and unrelentingly intense, the way an American arcade game from the early 1980s should be. Ever notice the great divide between Japanese and American video games? The Japanese stuff is typically cute and cartoony, or has a more gentle, mesmerizing space opera feel, while American games are loud, cluttered, abrasive, and violent. There are reasons to love each one, but you have to be in the right mood for them.