IGNORED

Chunkout 2600

Zzap

Hi guys,

As announced by Rick over here and

, we'll be releasing my debut 2600 game at the Retro Gaming Expo in Portland in September. The game is based on a well known puzzle game that I've also developed versions for the Gameboy Color and NES in the past, but when Rick approached me via Josh Byerly to make a 2600 version I was intrigued by the platform. The 2600 was restrictive at times, but made an excellent challenge that I really enjoyed. I had thought the NES was restrictive and archaic, but 128 bytes and the TIA were a whole new ballgame!

The aim of the game is to delete 'chunks' of blocks of the same colour and to ultimately try and clear the screen of all blocks. You can only clear chunks of 2 or more blocks, and the more blocks you clear in one move the exponentially more points you get. So it's a trade off between trying to clear the screen to get a decent bonus at the end, and trying to create large blocks of a single colour by chipping away at the smaller areas of blocks.

Some screenshots of the game:

Chunkout2600bin_2.png

Chunkout2600bin_4.png

Jon Rose has done a wonderful job with the manual for this game transforming it from a puzzler and giving it deeper meaning with an excellent classic space theme. From the back of the box:

Those evil Xotec are at it again, and this time, only you can save the peaceful planet of Zarilon from certain destruction! Equipped with the latest Atari Z2PA Advanced Calculation Computer, you must break through the Xotec Homeworld's dangerous Pulsar Fields, and take them down, piece by piece. It won't be easy. Aim your mining laser and fire! The colors disappear as you go. One wrong move and Zarilon is doomed! The Pulsar Fields get tougher the farther you go in. Do you have what it takes? Join the Zarilon Defense forces and find out! Only on Chunkout, for Atari Video Computer System.

There will be a total of 100 numbered copies for sale at the Expo available in 2 formats. There will be 30 boxed copies with manuals and individually numbered cartridges and boxes as well as some really cool pack-ins (details to be provided soon). As well as this, there will be 70 copies with the numbered cartridges and manual. I have included a couple of pictures of the boxes below built by Marc Oberhauser.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Thanks to the AtariAge community for the great Homebrew forums and all contributors, I look forward to meeting some of you at the expo!

Edited by Zzap

The aim of the game is to delete 'chunks' of blocks of the same colour and to ultimately try and clear the screen of all blocks. You can only clear chunks of 2 or more blocks, and the more blocks you clear in one move the exponentially more points you get. So it's a trade off between trying to clear the screen to get a decent bonus at the end, and trying to create large blocks of a single colour by chipping away at the smaller areas of blocks.

I'm not familiar with the game. How do you clear the chunks?

is it going to be available to purchase here on atariage?

I haven't worked out any deals to sell this beyond the Portland Expo at this stage. Depending on interest I may look at a broader release through AtariAge or elsewhere after the expo.

I'm not familiar with the game. How do you clear the chunks?

I started out writing an explanation, but soon discovered some visuals would help :)

The game begins with a grid of coloured squares. The player moves around a cursor (highlighted block) using the joystick to select a block.

gameplay_1.png

When they press the fire button all of the blocks of the same colour are highlighted to show the chunk that will be deleted.

gameplay_2.png

If they hit the button again that chunk is removed and any blocks above it fall down. If a column is emptied, all columns to the right get shifted left.

gameplay_3.png

This continues until there are either no blocks left, or no chunks consisting of 2 or more blocks remain (only single coloured blocks sitting next to each other).

gameplay_4.png

There are 4 levels of difficulty that adjust the number of different colours used. The more colours the harder it is to get big chunks of a single colour.

This continues until there are either no blocks left, or no chunks consisting of 2 or more blocks remain (only single coloured blocks sitting next to each other).

There are 4 levels of difficulty that adjust the number of different colours used. The more colours the harder it is to get big chunks of a single colour.

How do you score? The larger the chunks removed, the higher the score? Maybe even double the score with each additional block?

Looks interesting to me.

How did you code the color changes? I suppose you repeately change the PF (or BK) color, right?

Yep, this was coded using background colour changes at the fastest rate I could determine before introducing interlacing. The width of each block is 6 cpu cycles, the time it takes to read the next colour from memory and write it to the screen :)

Again, yep, the bigger the chunks of blocks the bigger the scoring. The specific scoring algorithm is the number of blocks is multiplied by itself, then by 75, so 2 blocks=2x2x75=300, 5 blocks=5x5x75=1875 etc

is it going to be available to purchase here on atariage?

I haven't worked out any deals to sell this beyond the Portland Expo at this stage. Depending on interest I may look at a broader release through AtariAge or elsewhere after the expo.

Chunkout looks great, as I love puzzle games!

:)

Hopefully this will be available after the Portland Expo.

Thanks.

I've had the pleasure of playing Chunkout for awhile now, as I've been assisting Zzap with the manual & extras. It really is an excellent game. It's one of those rare games that constantly begs you to hit the reset switch for just 'one more game', and it has that Tetris-like quality of simplicity and approachability, while having a fiendish level of difficulty once you get your feet wet.

Not only that, but the back story is full of words like 'laser', 'pulsar field', 'Zarilon', and there's a guy named 'Brock Starblaze'. :lol: What's not to like?

It's definitely worth the trip to Portland! IMHO, it's the best puzzle game on the 2600, hands down.

• 3 weeks later...