IGNORED

Mangia, What's the Deal?

Stan

Alright, I was wondering why I won this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Can anyone tell me why I seemed to be one of only like two people bidding on this? I was told by a fellow friend on here who made me a cool repro of this title that it was probably the PAL version, but guess what, it works just fine and it seems to be totally NTSC unless I'm in some lucky glitch land in America where PAL games play fine on a 2600. So what I need to know is, why in the world did I get this for so low? Is it really not that rare or did I just get incredibly lucky? I looked around and found old threads on the internet, not just here, about this game, and it seemed like no one really thought it existed or that it would fetch a couple thousand or something. Is this a rare case of 'I bet everyone is going to bid last minute so feck it' and thus no one bids at all? I'm really surprised I managed to nab an actual copy of this game, that officially puts my Atari 2600 collection at an end. Now I can play!

Yeah, I guess so. NT, I just had Mangia set in a permanent outside and inside auction search. I don't search by category. If that's what most people do I'm quite surprised. I just had it set in there like usual and it came up one day. He had it right in the title so I figured a million people would have jumped on it. Oh well, after giving it more of a fair shot I have to say I like the game once I got the hang of it, which was the important factor to me. Otherwise I would have probably sold it and just kept the repro. I had the same luck, if that's what happened here, when I got my sealed MOC 'The Blank' figure.

Since it was released only in small numbers in a single Sears store in Canada, anyone who searches for it searches in Canada for obvious reasons and also US in case collectors get rid of it. No one thought to search worldwide, and when some wholeseller in Belgium put a full set of the Dick Tracky figures right off the factory line sealed on eBay, no one bid on most of them because who would think to search worldwide for something only released in a single location? Just got to be sneaky sometimes, but in this case I just think I got lucky. Unless you guys just didn't have your search right that's the only possibility. I was scared to bid at first because usually someone would be like OMG 37ITE RARE in the auction forum here, but it didn't happen. That then led me to worry it was a repro or fake or something, but then if that were true people would have posted and said WHAT A LIAR THIS GUY IS A FAKE and so forth. Just nothing. I guess it really went under the radar or most people figured it would go higher, thus no body bid. It only went up to that price in the last few seconds. It was stuck around $50 for most of the auction. I came on with 10 minutes left and it was still around there and I said no way. Waited and waited. Nothing, so I shot out my max bid and that was that.

Yeah, I guess so. NT, I just had Mangia set in a permanent outside and inside auction search. I don't search by category. If that's what most people do I'm quite surprised. I just had it set in there like usual and it came up one day. He had it right in the title so I figured a million people would have jumped on it. Oh well, after giving it more of a fair shot I have to say I like the game once I got the hang of it, which was the important factor to me. Otherwise I would have probably sold it and just kept the repro. I had the same luck, if that's what happened here, when I got my sealed MOC 'The Blank' figure.

Since it was released only in small numbers in a single Sears store in Canada, anyone who searches for it searches in Canada for obvious reasons and also US in case collectors get rid of it. No one thought to search worldwide, and when some wholeseller in Belgium put a full set of the Dick Tracky figures right off the factory line sealed on eBay, no one bid on most of them because who would think to search worldwide for something only released in a single location? Just got to be sneaky sometimes, but in this case I just think I got lucky. Unless you guys just didn't have your search right that's the only possibility. I was scared to bid at first because usually someone would be like OMG 37ITE RARE in the auction forum here, but it didn't happen. That then led me to worry it was a repro or fake or something, but then if that were true people would have posted and said WHAT A LIAR THIS GUY IS A FAKE and so forth. Just nothing. I guess it really went under the radar or most people figured it would go higher, thus no body bid. It only went up to that price in the last few seconds. It was stuck around $50 for most of the auction. I came on with 10 minutes left and it was still around there and I said no way. Waited and waited. Nothing, so I shot out my max bid and that was that.

Amazing find, Stan.

Congratulations!

8)

I have been hunting for this one for quite a long time. I am amazed and pissed that E-Bay did not send me a notice. I do not know if I would have beat you, but I certainly would have bid over your winning bid. Congrats. on the killer deal that you got. I got lucky a few times. Once with a Waterworld and once with a Halloween hand written label with instructions . By the way, Mangia is a really fun game, have fun with it.

Edited by ericwierson

Thanks guys! Eric, how did you have it on search? I just searched all of eBay like usual and saved it in there like that and that's how it came up. And yeah, I find it quite fun. The gameplay has this 'chaos theory' to it, but there's actually quite a bit of skill involved at the same time. I was able to break 2000. I want that 9999!

Thanks guys! Eric, how did you have it on search? I just searched all of eBay like usual and saved it in there like that and that's how it came up. And yeah, I find it quite fun. The gameplay has this 'chaos theory' to it, but there's actually quite a bit of skill involved at the same time. I was able to break 2000. I want that 9999!

I have the search set at, Mangia 2600. And now I realize my mistake. I am going to change that right now for this and a few other searches.

I got to be honest with you man, this game in NTSC form is way too rare and sought after to be playing on a regular basis. I highly recommend buying a reproduction to play and keeping your original in a plastic baggie, out of the light :)

I got to be honest with you man, this game in NTSC form is way too rare and sought after to be playing on a regular basis. I highly recommend buying a reproduction to play and keeping your original in a plastic baggie, out of the light :)

Funny you mention that, because before the auction ended I had Shawn make me a repro of that and Gigolo at the same time. While they were being made and sent the auction appeared. It's definitely out of the light, but I'll try to keep the playing down a bit! Yeah, that would be the search problem there. For eBay searches, always try to keep them VERY general. For example, Brazilian SMS games are listed in different ways and some of them have slightly different Latin letters. The Sapo games are an example. So instead of searching for the the whole thing, like Sega Master System Sapo Xule (' over the e there) etc etc, I would just search for Master System Sapo, or even just Sapo if there aren't any other items that would appear. In this case, I just searched for Atari Mangia since most people need to list at least the name 'Atari' in there. Also search for spelling errors. One time, when I used to do a lot of reselling, I always had a permanent My Litte Pony set on my search (read it again to catch the error). I can't tell you how many lots I got with that for next to nothing and then sold for like 1000% profit back when I could get a decent chunk for them.

• 3 years later...

I can't say if it's NTSC or PAL, but it surely is the same format as the console, else the color would have been altered.

Where are you from? Unless you have a multistandard TV a console with a different standard than the one used in your country would result in a black & white picture.

PAL consoles sometimes have a "P" or a "U" after the model number stamped on the sticker on the bottom (e.g. "CX2600P" or "CX2600AP") so check that first.

A picture showing the TV more clearly could also help identifying the type of cart, since the PAL version of Mangia' has wider black borders on top and bottom of the image.

I can't say if it's NTSC or PAL, but it surely is the same format as the console, else the color would have been altered.

Where are you from? Unless you have a multistandard TV a console with a different standard than the one used in your country would result in a black & white picture.

PAL consoles sometimes have a "P" or a "U" after the model number stamped on the sticker on the bottom (e.g. "CX2600P" or "CX2600AP") so check that first.

A picture showing the TV more clearly could also help identifying the type of cart, since the PAL version of Mangia' has wider black borders on top and bottom of the image.

HI, it say's atari model no CX-2600 GP??? MY T.V. works on any format, pal, ntsc, and something else, ill post a pic of the stamp, its not clean but...

• 2 weeks later...