IGNORED

I'm so jealous of everyone on here that grew up with classic games

gloriousconnor

I am 34 and I wasn't real pleased with the home console situation as a kid. All the games paled in comparison to what was available in the arcades and that irritated me. It was kind of depressing in 1984 to come home to this...

Activision_Boxing_Atari_2600_screenshot1a.png

... after playing this...

Punch_out_%28arcade%29.png

... at the arcade.

I'm most nostalgic about the arcades. I viewed home consoles of the time as being a "better than nothing" thing for when I was fresh out of quarters.

I now own several arcade machines (including a Super Punch-Out/Punch-Out machine), and that covers a good deal of the nostalgia. If I could get Lawton Mann to come over and go head to head with me for high score on Super Punch-Out, just like we used to do in the '80s, that would cover even more nostalgia.

The atmosphere of a real arcade (no, there were no music videos playing on the wall, and the only black lights were from Tron) was cool, but I'm not terribly nostalgic about it; mainly because I mostly played arcade games at the local laundromat and general store. The closest dedicated arcade (Space Port in the mall) was some 45 miles away so I didn't go there all that often until I got my driver's license in '92; just in time for the Street Fighter II craze.

• Like 1

I am 34 and I wasn't real pleased with the home console situation as a kid. All the games paled in comparison to what was available in the arcades and that irritated me.

That was the beauty of the arcade phenomenon. Arcades were and *ARE* supposed to be superior to their console counterparts.

Outside of the social aspect, why bugger with them otherwise? Only recently (last 20 years) has this changed due to consumer

electronic technology having caught up.

Edited by save2600
  • Like 1

I am 34 and I wasn't real pleased with the home console situation as a kid. All the games paled in comparison to what was available in the arcades and that irritated me. It was kind of depressing in 1984 to come home to this...

I'm most nostalgic about the arcades. I viewed home consoles of the time as being a "better than nothing" thing for when I was fresh out of quarters.

I now own several arcade machines (including a Super Punch-Out/Punch-Out machine), and that covers a good deal of the nostalgia. If I could get Lawton Mann to come over and go head to head with me for high score on Super Punch-Out, just like we used to do in the '80s, that would cover even more nostalgia.

The atmosphere of a real arcade (no, there were no music videos playing on the wall, and the only black lights were from Tron) was cool, but I'm not terribly nostalgic about it; mainly because I mostly played arcade games at the local laundromat and general store. The closest dedicated arcade (Space Port in the mall) was some 45 miles away so I didn't go there all that often until I got my driver's license in '92; just in time for the Street Fighter II craze.

Interesting read and I agree with the console vs. arcade quality comparison. I think at the time home consoles conceded not living up to the arcade hardware/software and gamers regarded them, as you said, "better than nothing."

This was Coleco's M.O. in bringing the arcade experience into the home and why they made such a big splash with the release of Donkey Kong. No other console at that time had anything close (barring older games like Circus, Breakout et al)to arcade quality audio/video.

Atari made a "smaller splash" years earlier with the release of Space Invaders for the 2600. Remember that Space Invaders is THE game that started the whole video game craze. Atari's port of Space Invaders was not even close to arcade perfect (buy Space Invaders Arcade), but they did an excellent job and this release was a HUGE turning point in video game history.

Some will argue how arcade imperfect Donkey Kong is for the ColecoVision (missing intermissions, levels etc.). But, the fact is that gamers (at least the majority) at the time of its release found these shortcomings to be forgiving amidst being awestruck of having this in their own home.

Reading the book Racing the Beam gave me a great appreciation of what programmers have been able to do with the Atari 2600 - Stargate or Medieval Mayhem come to mind.

• Like 1

I'm 39 and if there ever was one thing I remember most as the benchmarks of gaming...walking in the arcade and hearing Wizard of Wor talk, it was the first arcade cabinet in my favorite arcade to have speech..just blew me away, Dragon's Lair was another shocker, Alone in the Dark was another, Tomb Raider was another, Goldeneye was another, Shadow of the Colossus was yet another..looking at it all and where gaming systems are today I don't think the graphics can get any 'better' now that they are just short of photo realistic complete with surround sound, lol.

• Like 1

I'm 15 and i like my new (well to me) atari 2600. yeh, if i lived then, people probably wouldnt bug me about playing it. i think more people should try it so they wont be stupid about it just cuz its old.

I hear you, I'm 26 and I get flack for my classic gaming also. I think a lot of people particularly people who didn't grow up with these classic systems like the 2600, don't have an appreciation for it or for things that are older for that matter. I think you should consider yourself lucky that you can appreciate the beauty of vintage gaming. :)

• Like 1

Flack? Who in their right mind would give you flack over your gaming preferences? It's not like it hurts them. Tell your friends to find something real to worry about.

Tell me about it, and it's one of those things that at first I could laugh off and say okay that's cute, but after a while it gets old. And at the end of the day, my playing 2600 isn't that different from them playing their PS3's - it's still the same activity. But I agree, which is why I think it's nice that sites like Atari Age exist where I can share this hobby with other people.

• Like 1

Whilst I didn't own a 2600, i do remember gaming on that platform as far back as 1980/1981 when i saw a shop display in Margate (cliftonville) in WH Smiths, whilst the graphics etc were'nt arcade quality, who cared... it was the gameplay and the concept behind the game that was it's driving force

Anyone for a thrashing on realsports tennis (that was a game i was ok at)

• Like 1

whilst the graphics etc were'nt arcade quality, who cared... it was the gameplay and the concept behind the game that was it's driving force

Some concepts and gameplay elements require a certain level of hardware capability to render satisfactorily. Plus nice graphics are satisfying to look at in and of themselves. For example, I'd rather watch a cartoon or read a comic book with good drawings, rather than poorly done drawings. Video games, like comic books and cartoons, are a visual medium; the images play a significant part in relaying the experience.

Now, I prefer a game with good gameplay and bad graphics to a game with good graphics and bad gameplay, but that doesn't mean graphics are not important. I'd much rather have both good graphics and good gameplay, than solely one or the other. You don't even need terribly powerful hardware for eye pleasing graphics. You just need enough power to give your sprites several colors and some curves (rather than blocks). For example, the lowly (by today's standards) Nintendo Radar Scope hardware from 1980 was capable of making Donkey Kong look good. Nintendo's Popeye and Punch-Out looked awesome, and still do IMO. Bally Midway's MCR-3 hardware (e.g., Tapper, Timber, Demolition Derby, Discs of Tron) was capable of beautiful graphics in 1983.

The Atari 2600 had horrible graphics; there are no two ways about it. Its hardware design dates from the mid-1970s and it was primarily designed to play Pong-type games. Yes, the programmers eventually squeezed more out of it than was originally thought possible, but even the best graphics on the 2600 don't even approach the level of a simple low-budget cartoon. The Intellivision wasn't much better, and the ColecoVision and Atari 5200 were big improvements but still had a ways to go just to reach arcade Donkey Kong-level graphics (which I consider to be the minimum for eye-pleasing graphics that feature human and/or animal characters).

The NES was the first console in the U.S. to have nice looking graphics IMO, and that was 1983 technology. Unfortunately; in 1983 we still didn't have anything like that in the U.S. in console form; what with the video game crash going on and all. It was the difference between what could have been, and what was, that irritated me back then.

• Like 1

Classis consoles were inferior to their arcade game counterparts technologically, no doubt.

But keep in mind that arcade games are inferior to the consoles as far as the long-lived games are concerned. You'd never see a game like Adventure or Legend of Zelda in the arcades.

Also, sometimes the "resistance of the media" helps to create some surprising art. Yar's Revenge being a loose adaptation of Star Castle is just one example.

I always treated the 2600 (and later my a8) as a compliment to the arcade experience rather than a way to save quarters, and to this day I find both enjoyable but different experiences.

• Like 1

whilst the graphics etc were'nt arcade quality, who cared... it was the gameplay and the concept behind the game that was it's driving force

Some concepts and gameplay elements require a certain level of hardware capability to render satisfactorily. Plus nice graphics are satisfying to look at in and of themselves. For example, I'd rather watch a cartoon or read a comic book with good drawings, rather than poorly done drawings. Video games, like comic books and cartoons, are a visual medium; the images play a significant part in relaying the experience.

Now, I prefer a game with good gameplay and bad graphics to a game with good graphics and bad gameplay, but that doesn't mean graphics are not important. I'd much rather have both good graphics and good gameplay, than solely one or the other. You don't even need terribly powerful hardware for eye pleasing graphics. You just need enough power to give your sprites several colors and some curves (rather than blocks). For example, the lowly (by today's standards) Nintendo Radar Scope hardware from 1980 was capable of making Donkey Kong look good. Nintendo's Popeye and Punch-Out looked awesome, and still do IMO. Bally Midway's MCR-3 hardware (e.g., Tapper, Timber, Demolition Derby, Discs of Tron) was capable of beautiful graphics in 1983.

Well, not to poke the stick too far into the bee's nest, but:

Scott McCloud covers this very well in Understanding Comics. Often, simplified graphics allow for a much cloder identification of the self with the character onscreen.

And frankly, Demon Attack still looks breathtaking on the 2600.

But what do I know? I'm still playing on the Odyssey2 I always wanted and never got until the 2000s.

• Like 1

Well, not to poke the stick too far into the bee's nest, but:

Scott McCloud covers this very well in Understanding Comics. Often, simplified graphics allow for a much cloder identification of the self with the character onscreen.

"Simplified" is relative. Scott McCloud's drawings go far beyond what the Atari 2600 is capable of. And simplified graphics are fine, as long as they don't go into "abstract" territory. For example, the arcade Donkey Kong and Mario sprites are simple, but they look good.

And frankly, Demon Attack still looks breathtaking on the 2600.

Yes, it does look good, but there are no human or animal characters in it either. The 2600 is fine for games like that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is, back when the 2600 was a current machine, even people who loved it were not especially forgiving of its graphical limitations. If people at the time had been content with the 2600, you never would have seen things like the Starpath Supercharger, and the main selling point of consoles like the Intellivision and Colecovision wouldn't have been the fact that their graphics were much better.

• Like 1

The thing is, back when the 2600 was a current machine, even people who loved it were not especially forgiving of its graphical limitations. If people at the time had been content with the 2600, you never would have seen things like the Starpath Supercharger, and the main selling point of consoles like the Intellivision and Colecovision wouldn't have been the fact that their graphics were much better.

Yeah, that's very true. I wonder what video games will be like, say, 20 years from now... :ponder:

• Like 1

I'm "only" 29, so I didn't grow up during the Atari 2600 era, but for my 10th birthday I was introduced to the NES! I started out playing Duck Hunt, then Super Mario Bros. Later I got 10 Yard Fight, Baseball, Metroid, and Legend of Zelda. For my 11th birthday I got my very own copy of Super Mario Bros 3 which I would play until literally the cartridge felt hot (no, it didn't damage it). I also remember back in 1991 wanting a Super Nintendo sooooo badly, even though my parents insisted that "I already have a Nintendo". I did finally get that Super Nintendo...three years later. But it was a good time to get one because I got the one with Mario World AND All-Stars. Now those were the days of video gaming! NES, you got TWO controllers, Zapper, Mario and Duck Hunt. Super NES? I got TWO controllers and FIVE Mario games standard! Try getting that kind of package from Hype-Box 360 or P$3. ;)

And I remember being so amazed at the graphics in games like StarFox and the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy. I know it's more politically correct to say "graphics don't matter, only gameplay does" but why not appreciate awesome graphics/sound on a classic console. I mean, weren't you 2600 gamers amazed at how graphically advanced Pitfall was compared to the other 2600 games before it?

Anyway, I may not have grown up with the 2600, but I'm VERY fortunate that I DID grow up in the late 8-bit and 16-bit era. And I'm so excited that I'm going to build a NES/SNES collecting this Christmas season that I'll be so proud of.

• Like 1