IGNORED

I'm so jealous of everyone on here that grew up with classic games

gloriousconnor

I was always really happy with how ROTS closed up the series. LORD VADER.... ARISE.. The movie theatre was silent.. It was perfect IMO. The perfect downfall of a once great person.. whom isn't redeemed until 25 years later.. Leaving the theatre it was so sad.. Seeing how Vader was tricked and he finally gave in to the Dark Side out of desperation.

I know.. it just makes you want to scream.. :P

Joke all you want, I didn't catch the Simpson's reference until way after I saw the movie, and even then I shrugged.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the movies rank like this:

1 - Empire Strikes Back

2 - A New Hope

It was very close between those two. I never saw a 'middle chapter" movie that stood on it's own as well as empire.

3 - Phantom Menace

4 - Return of the Jedi

Again, very close and I know I am in a small minority picking Phantom menace here. It really was just that dipshit gungan that kept it from being a really good movie. And the introduction of real kick-ass lightsaber battles was awesome. The first 30 minutes of Jedi was fantastic and then it just seemed to crap out for me.

5 - Revenge of the Sith

I was really happy with this movie after the first viewing, but it did not hold up to repeated viewings at all. I really have a problem with 98% of the Jedi going down like punks without sensing any "disturbance" in the force.

6 - Attack of the Clones

I could not believe the people who were complaining about the Pod Race in Menace was just staged to be a video game had no problem with this movie. On first viewing I succesfully picked three or four things out that would be in games and I was dead right. Most notably the obvious platforming action in the droid factory. Just not a very good movie when held up against the top four. The highlight for me was Yoda finally cracking out that green lightsaber and getting down to action.

Another thing I did not enjoy in episode one through three (again, I am in the minority) was that the droids had to be there for every bit of the story, passing from owner to owner to suit the story. Take them out, have Jar-Jar get killed by walking into the power beams of the kid's podracer and I would have been much more satisfied.

All of this is relative, of course. I still throw them all in to watch from time to time. Morgan

• Like 2

I always said I was born at the perfect time. I'm now 40, born in 1970. I saw early Pong, moved to Atari, Colecovision, then my favorite, the Commodore 64. I used a 300 baud modem to chat in the mid-1980s. I called BBS numbers to post and play games. I then moved to the IBM PC clone, got onto newsgroups in the early 1990s buying and selling still before there was a big internet, then used Earthlink with my 56k modem before finally getting DSL in the late 1990s. Technology has changed tremendously. My computer is 8 years old and when I went to look at new ones, I was astonished being greeted with touch screens and super fast CPUs. I feel like I've been here from the very beginning.

Phil

• Like 1

Well, with technology and stuff, I try to avoid being first to experience something. It's called early adopter syndrome and is generally not cost-effective by a far margin. And you feel guilty afterwards. Waiting till something goes full mainstream and just before it goes out of 'style' is the best way to get something. Fighting for 1st and new is really a waste of time, you will come to see it sooner or later.

I agree. I'm not saying I was like that as a kid. We (my brother and I) didn't have money to blow on new tech stuff, especially considering how expensive that stuff was back then in adjusted dollars. But it was still there, right? I mean even though we got an Atari 2600 when they were new it's not like we got one immediately or got all the games (I'm not sure we even got ours the first year they were available). We were like how others have described their childhoods, getting a few games a year because of birthdays and Christmases and whatnot. And arcades were the same, I was behind the curve there initially because of seeing the early b&w games that sucked, thinking that's all there would be. Once I hit high school and kept hearing about Galaxian and other games that were so cool I had to go with my friends and play them. But it was strictly allowance money and good luck becoming an expert at those games that way.

My point with the OP is that that time was fantastic to live through. I got to see it first, new. That doesn't mean I owned most of it or owned it when it first showed up (I remember finally convincing my dad to buy me an Atari 800 computer after seeing my friends with their Apple ][s, I was so damn excited), just that I could see it all unfold. How the OP feels about classic games and missing that moment, that's how I feel about late '60s/early '70s musclecars. And missing seeing Zeppelin live by that much, dammit! Everybody has those "new" moments and missed moments in his/her life, so I get where the OP is coming from.

But now I see the guys you describe, the early adopter types, and it's kind of funny and sad at the same time. They buy new tech just to be first. What, you don't have one of these yet? No, dick, it just came out this week, I can wait. Where I worked, when the Miata first appeared, about 5 employees got them. Cute car, but they were acting like they'd struck gold just because of the hype. And I couldn't understand why, they were two-seaters so they were useless for piling in to go out to lunch or somewhere after work, they were gutless, they looked like stick deodorants with wheel-wells, yet they acted like they were driving race cars or something. And it's not like those guys kept them for years and years, either. It's just one of those things, gotta have that new thing now!

• Like 1

In my opinion, the movies rank like this:

1 - Empire Strikes Back

2 - A New Hope

It was very close between those two. I never saw a 'middle chapter" movie that stood on it's own as well as empire.

3 - Phantom Menace

4 - Return of the Jedi

Again, very close and I know I am in a small minority picking Phantom menace here. It really was just that dipshit gungan that kept it from being a really good movie. And the introduction of real kick-ass lightsaber battles was awesome. The first 30 minutes of Jedi was fantastic and then it just seemed to crap out for me.

5 - Revenge of the Sith

I was really happy with this movie after the first viewing, but it did not hold up to repeated viewings at all. I really have a problem with 98% of the Jedi going down like punks without sensing any "disturbance" in the force.

6 - Attack of the Clones

I could not believe the people who were complaining about the Pod Race in Menace was just staged to be a video game had no problem with this movie. On first viewing I succesfully picked three or four things out that would be in games and I was dead right. Most notably the obvious platforming action in the droid factory. Just not a very good movie when held up against the top four. The highlight for me was Yoda finally cracking out that green lightsaber and getting down to action.

Another thing I did not enjoy in episode one through three (again, I am in the minority) was that the droids had to be there for every bit of the story, passing from owner to owner to suit the story. Take them out, have Jar-Jar get killed by walking into the power beams of the kid's podracer and I would have been much more satisfied.

All of this is relative, of course. I still throw them all in to watch from time to time. Morgan

Wow, you like Phantom more than Jedi? It's thee worst of the bunch. I won't type reams of obvious reasons why, just watch all 7 parts of

. Now, the guy's voice is really, really annoying (and I'm betting done on purpose in the hopes of being discovered as a really witty, funny guy) but he goes through the whole movie and points out every stupid, unnecessary, illogical move that Lucas made with that thing. I was so numbed by watching Phantom initially that I didn't catch even half of the faults this guy did. I still want to see "The Phantom Edit" to see how much it could possibly get fixed without reshoots. For me, I can watch the first 15 minutes or so because it's cool to see what real Jedis were supposed to be like (something Luke never got to see) and both saber fights with Darth Maul (the short one in the desert and the ending one in the unnecessarily massive power generation/energy door/catwalk complex) but it's a crime that Maul dies at the end, he should have been in the next episode at the least.

The other two prequels are really weak as well but nowhere near as horrible as the Phantom was (but maybe it's just because there are no kid main characters in them). And Lucas secretly agrees because after defending the Jar-Jar and midichlorians decisions through interview after interview they were practically invisible in the next two prequels. Revenge of the Sith was the best of the three since it must link up with A New Hope so no matter how much Lucas might have wanted to include Smurfs or Teletubbies or The Banana Splits or whatever other children's TV characters were out there he was forced, by his own previous work, to make it fit. Anakin turned to the Dark Side way too easily. I've watched that movie a few times (on Spike, I can't bring myself to buy it yet) and all I see is Anakin talking with the Senator who simply mentions "the Dark Side" over and over and, poof, Anakin gets circles under his eyes and he's Vader? What? And that "Nnnoooooooooooooooooo!" scream from him when the Emperor tells him Amidala is dead. I remember people in the theater laughing out loud when that happened. I feel bad for James Earl Jones.

The order of best to worst goes Empire, New Hope, Jedi, Sith, Clones and then, far down the list, on the other side of the page, Phantom.

• Like 1

I saw that movie for the first time last week! Funny thing is, I remember going on the Universal Studios tour in the 80s and seeing two of the silver cars parked side-by-side (the normal undamaged version and the wrecked & spray-painted version). There were also lots of other vehicles parked in the same area, from recent and long-ago productions (The A-Team van, Emergency! paramedic squad, Adam-12 patrol car, etc.)

• Like 1

I'll chime in.... I was too young to see Star Wars at the theater or even remember it, I was 4. So the first time I was introduced to Star Wars was watching it on CED disc, anybody recall that format? I believe this to be around 79' 0r 80'....It was before Empire came out. I saw Empire that same week it came out along with the re-releases in 81' and 82'. I have to admit I thought they were cool bit the mania didn't hit me yet! Now when Jedi was released in 83', I didn't probably see till that 2nd week it had been opened. When I saw it, hook, line and sinker! Now I got Star Wars hype! I collected everything imaginable with "jedi" on it. Had all the figures, ship, books, everything!

No here is my list to fist to worst...

Empire What can I say?

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars Special Edition of this SUCKED!

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace Sorry Jar Jar and that kid KILLED this movie!

Alot of the bashing to Return of the Jedi stems from alot of people thought it was too "Puppety" and the Ewoks...

Now I don't have a real problem with either two. Jedi has also one of the best action sequences ever!-Skiff Battle...

My only complaint was I know this was the "closure" movie but it seemed like too much was crammed into one movie! Some examples: Darth Vader dying, Empereor dying, Yoda dying, Jabba dying, Super Star Destroyer destroyed and Death Star destroyed! Way too much for a 2.5 hour movie!!! Also editing on this movies was horrible!

Now what I think what made Empire so good? Easy, Lucas didn't direct it! But you say he didn't direct Jedi? Not true Marquand was a puppet, Luacas was watching over his shoulder constantly!

And the new ones....Sorry way too much CGI, plotholes and my main beef was they were way geared for the kids! Evident of this-Phantom Menace....

• Like 1

I won't type reams of obvious reasons why, just watch all 7 parts of

I'll have you know that you helped waste two hours of my life last night. That video (and the review of Episode 2) were treeee-mendous! That guy did an excellent (and funny) job. It's really a learning experience. I mean, the prequels are just poop. Watch those videos and try to argue otherwise.

• Like 2

I won't type reams of obvious reasons why, just watch all 7 parts of

I'll have you know that you helped waste two hours of my life last night. That video (and the review of Episode 2) were treeee-mendous! That guy did an excellent (and funny) job. It's really a learning experience. I mean, the prequels are just poop. Watch those videos and try to argue otherwise.

Hahaahaa, sorry. I mean, unless you have a 24x brain or something there's no way to watch that faster. But it's worth it, right? That guy really tore those two prequels new ones. And the worst part, from a Star Wars fanboy (or George Lucas himself) standpoint, is that every single thing that guy pointed out, every failing and mistake and logical screwup, is true. From a story-telling or cinematic point of view, everything he mentioned was part of why those two movies suck so so much. As I was watching those YouTube videos I was reminded of other movies that have also screwed up in some (though not all) of those ways so it's not like those basic rules aren't useful or, worse, violated by other directors and writers. What surprised me is how many things were done badly or incorrectly in just one movie. I mean I noticed some of them, I remembered more once some friends and I ripped into Phantom shortly after seeing it, but I guess there were so many dumb segments that my brain just threw it's little grey hands up and quit.

And you're right, no one, not even the most biased Star Wars fan, can effectively argue against the points that guy brings up. They're right there and they're really really bad. Sure, you can still like the prequels (I'm certainly guilty of liking some things I know are dumb or cheesy) but there's no way you can convince anyone that they're good or worthy of the "Star Wars" name or good templates for movie creation. No way. They're just... there, insulting your memories of the original trilogy.

• Like 2

The fondest memories for me living in the late 70's early 80's was watching all those classic gaming commercials.Those commercials made me lust after the new games that were just released.I used to watch these commercials being aired all night on Fridays and Saturdays, it was really aggressive advertising/marketing!But in those days the stuff was out of many young peoples price range.I obtained most of my stuff from thrift shops and flea markets like many others have.I wish i could have bought many of the stuff they sold back then right away.I'm kicking myself now for not buying a lot of the cool stuff, but like i said, it was simply too expensive, dammit!

• Like 1

When you think about it, we're all currently living in somebody's future. I grew up watching movies and TV shows with names like, "Class of 1984," "Space: 1999" and "2001: A Space Odyssey." They had names like that because those dates were considered to be so far in the future. Similarly, a lot of sci-fi took place "in the 21st century," which was regarded as being so far in the future that if you were writing sci-fi, you could pretty much postulate any kind of crazy technology, 'cause it's not like anybody reading your story was gonna still be around to find out you were wrong.

And yet...

Here we are! Living in the 21st century! That just blows my mind. We're way behind schedule when it comes to conquering space and colonizing other planets and all, but the capabilities of our cars are pretty amazing, even if they're a lot uglier than their low-tech predecessors. And if you're into RC helicopters and planes like I am, the stuff that's available now would have been unheard of and impossible back in the day.

I do, however, think cell phone technology is the biggest load of crap imaginable. Land lines and CB radios had better sound quality and better connections than these damned mobile phones.

And don't even get me started on the subject of the entertainment industry. Totally un-interesting, computer-generated special effects are supposed to be an improvement over miniature models and stop-motion animation? Really?

And unscripted "reality TV" that's totally not real, and just exists to drag people down and let emotionally immature idiots make spectacles of themselves? That's something I should want to watch? Really?

But, I digress.

You have absolutely no idea how much I agree with you. As for the entertainment industry, look at my avatar; greatest movie ever made :)

wow.goodbadugly is my fav movie of all time as well. and i do think it is the best movie ever made as well!

• Like 2

• 10 years later...

Yes absolutely, i am also jalous that i never experienced the golden age of arcade games back in the 80’s ,like many did, while it is true that i was born back in 1982, but i just wish that i was born in june 1981,sothat i could,ve proudly say to myself “i am existed before mario and donkeykong existed” but sadly i was born nearly 10 month’s after it’s emissial release of that game,wich actually frustrates me somewhat because,back in 1992, i tout that mario appeared for the first time in 1985,and in 1995 i tout that donkeykong 1 and dk jr were both made in 1989(looking at it’s package on the back,only to find out in 2001 that donkeykong with the mainrole player mario was made in 1981, i just couldn’t believe it,i was like “huh wtf”

also while i did back then readed and heard about games such as pac man,space invaders and galga etc,, BUT at the time i absolutely did not care about those games ,at the time, i only cared about platform games like tiny toon adventure,supermario 2 and 3 ,asterix and supermarioworld etc,,

untill 2014 when i played those arcade games on a multiverse system,i played the hell out of donkeykong,dk jr ,donkeykong 3,space invaders and pacman(trough i played pac man on pc in 1998 on pc for a few seconds),then in 2016 i started to play other arcade games on pc via mame ,games such as radar scope,sheriff,mariobros etc,,, and man oh man not only are those games fucking kick ass,especially when you win,but it’s a new experience everytime you play them,it will put your mind and skills to the test,something i miss from side scrolling platformers,

damnit i just wish i had discovered and liked those games in mid-90’s damnit,

in conclusion,nothing beats those old games?

Edited by johannesmutlu
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I was born in 78, so I missed out on some of the first consoles when they were new. I was lucky to have friends who's parents were into games, so I did get to play Combat and Pong a lot. Combat was what hooked me. I want through almost every console that came out during my life. I only skipped the Jaguar, Dreamcast, and Saturn back in the day. More recently I've skipped all the Xbox stuff and everything from Nintendo since the GBA. Never was a big PC gamer either. Never Was very good with using a keyboard to play a game. I've always felt like I was born in the wrong time. I think if I had been born in the late 60s, I would have been a lot more happy and my life would have turned out  better.

Edited by RamrodHare
Spelling
  • Like 3

On 8/9/2009 at 7:38 PM, gloriousconnor said:

I just got my 2600 a month or so ago and I love it. Games like Adventure, Defender and Pac Man have already rocked my world and have shown me, flat out, what a real game is. THOSE are games.

But every time I turn it on I get very disappointed that I wasn't alive to see the system in its glory days; nostalgic for a time period I've never lived in would be the best way to put it I guess. It's not only Atari; INTV, Coleco, Vectrex, Fairchild.. all amazing, plus many others of course :)

I also wish I could have gone to the Arcades and played the greats; the games that defined genres and showed what video games were really capable of, how far they could push the boundaries of the real world. The games that were more than simply games.

And now what? Bit rot and dead carts? The icing on the cake. I couldn't be a part of the history, and now that history can't even be preserved.

Any other young guys on here feel the same way?

At least in this day & age with emulation you can still play all those old system and have access to all the games that we couldn't afford to purchase back then.  Anything from the original XBOX and on have issue due to severs that no longer exist or just technical issue of aging hardware dying.  With these old consoles even 44 year later the original hardware still works (the biggest challenge is getting this old analog base signal to work on HD TV) .  Another great thing about now is you have an entire community of games like yourself to share the experience of these old consoles & games that you enjoy.  Even though those systems are long since retired products you can still get tons of new games thanks to a thriving homebrew community.  They are making these old consoles do crazy things that we didn't even dream possible back in the day, push the hardware further that we knew it could go.  Seeing these homebrew blows my mind.  It challenges everything I thought I knew about those old systems.  It wows and leave me leave me astonished and saying this should not be possible on this old hardware and it is truly awe inspiring and make the kid in my that loved those old systems squeal with delight.

• Like 2

The whole thing that I loved about video games to begin with was the look, chunky pixels and limited colors drew me in. And the sound, every game system had a distinct sound. The C64 and the NES, I loved the way they sounded. You didn't hear anything like that anywhere else. Even the arcade games with the YM soundchips had a really cool sound that I loved. That triangle wave on the NES, man you don't hear that anywhere else!   :P

(Edit) How could I forget, of course the 2600 sound too, now that one is special! Those rough distorted, out of tune sounds man, I love 'em!

Edited by Linndrum
  • Like 2

Born in '75. Started with the 2600 and have an Xbox Series S sitting behind me. I've loved every step along the way. Some consoles have aged better than others and some have a much larger legacy than others. If you'd have told 8 year old me with his busted 5200 controller that some day I would be able to play as Spider-Man and feel like I'm playing Spider-Man or have a VR headseat that actually creates a convincing illusion of being somehwere else he'd probably crap himself on the spot. The downside is that this comes with a price in the way of shitty DRM, digital-only you-don't-own-jack distribution, or once the server is down this game is dead and unplayable nonsense. I think I might have finally hit the wall of gaming. I love the idea of the new stuff coming out, but the strings attached to it are too much for me.

So, yeah, I'll bust out the cotton swabs and alcohol and get the old cartridges ready for another 20-30 years.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 9:07 PM, Linndrum said:

The whole thing that I loved about video games to begin with was the look, chunky pixels and limited colors drew me in. And the sound, every game system had a distinct sound. The C64 and the NES, I loved the way they sounded. You didn't hear anything like that anywhere else. Even the arcade games with the YM soundchips had a really cool sound that I loved. That triangle wave on the NES, man you don't hear that anywhere else!

There's nothing like the sound of walking into an Arcade back in the day.   The sound of all those classic games blending together.  And yes, they had a unique sound that the home systems could never seem to replicate.

• Like 6

On 8/9/2009 at 6:38 PM, gloriousconnor said:

I just got my 2600 a month or so ago and I love it. Games like Adventure, Defender and Pac Man have already rocked my world and have shown me, flat out, what a real game is. THOSE are games.

Pac-Man was said to be reviled at the time. I adored it for what it was, even if it was "the basics" married to Atari's branding of "only space games get black background", hence the blue background for it, Ms Pac, Jr Pac, et al...

The cliche of "imagination required" isn't as much cliche as it is reality. Especially in games that are fantasy-driven. The blocky nature even accentuates this. I've seen photorealism in games, but it doesn't always work for me. Or others since some games try to create a "retro" feel, which is often more alluring. 

But every time I turn it on I get very disappointed that I wasn't alive to see the system in its glory days; nostalgic for a time period I've never lived in would be the best way to put it I guess. It's not only Atari; INTV, Coleco, Vectrex, Fairchild.. all amazing, plus many others of course :)

The era did have more and differing platforms. Intellivision, Coleco, et al, had some strengths, but the gameplay that worked with the limitations of the Atari really held its own.  Ironically, after the NES overtook the market, newer hardware with superior capabilities from Atari still didn't overcome. Gameplay is still essential and Mario and Zelda may have had some flicker and occasional sluggishness, it didn't matter that the 7800 could process a hundred sprites without breaking a sweat because the game play was fresh and new and still has that fresh feel. Would have been nice if it was flicker-free, though... but the same easily applied to the 2600. Fresh gameplay that still attracts (Yar's Revenge is an all-time great depsite other newer games not being as exciting or as inventive despite it all.)

Vectrex was admittedly pretty cool...

I also wish I could have gone to the Arcades and played the greats; the games that defined genres and showed what video games were really capable of, how far they could push the boundaries of the real world. The games that were more than simply games.

Meh. 100 people in an arcade center or 10, or 1, it's the same experience.  :D

And now what? Bit rot and dead carts? The icing on the cake. I couldn't be a part of the history, and now that history can't even be preserved.

Half-life of various elements prevailing in any constructed object, the one with the smallest lifespan, especially with channeling electricity, becomes the weakest link. The importance of replacing capacitors is by far the biggest and most immediate issue. Eventually, the plastic will break down - quicker if constantly exposed to UV light - but this still takes decades, depending on variant. I have wall sconces from 1963, made of plastic, have survived a fall without shattering. Of course, I had a high-end plastic shell TV that was 15 years old crumble in my hand, so chemical components in the plastic do matter as well as heat and other ambient issues accelerating the wear... but all the microchips, despite being encased in plastic and not ceramic material, still hold up well enough. (Phew!) I'd probably put heatsinks on them to help dissipate any heat, and as chips age they will generate more heat. The occasional transistor might fail too. Other components I'd have to read up on, but I'm less worried about resistors, especially if the power used on them is at or lesser than their rated value. 

Most cartridges with problems just need a cleaning. The tin-plated ones usually fare worse than gold or copper. They can be resurfaced, though that's a pain...  Usually there's just the microchip in its plastic package array... but is never exposed to light, just heat generated. 

Bit rot, a variation of the same theme, badly impacted laserdiscs' lifespan, and is far less likely to happen on blu-ray. I'd be more worried about the adhesive glue layer for optical discs' layers (a blue-ray has 25GB per layer and most are dual-layer.) As the glue dries, the layers can separate - even at microscopic level - and cause playback issues. While the discs are coated with an anti-scratch compound, they'll still dry out over the decades. That said, I've had 0 unplayable DVD or blu-ray discs so far. Maybe a couple frames of garbled screen or an audio dropout but nothing catastrophic yet. And these discs are 20~30 years old and sometimes in less-than-ideal conditions.

Now look up "vinegar effect" for film negatives and wince. Even the properly stored stuff in salt mines may develop massive problems, and arguably should be preserved and archived. 

Even better,the day when DVDs get so brittle they shatter while being played in 2061, if any players still exist... (keeping them in their storage cases, where no light gets in, helps a lot. Humidity and temperature in control also helps.)

But I digress.

But emulation of hardware will ensure this history remains after the final cartridge succumbs to the effects of entropy.  Which will still be a good while away. 

And the plastic cases - if handled and stored with care, will last a very long time. If in use, use lighting that emits little UV too...

• Like 1