IGNORED

"Revenge of the Jedi" FOUND!

Rareusgold

All of these protos were in standard cases. Some had other normal game lables and eprom boards were put inside and then stickers were placed on them. Some had Roklan stickers some had white stickers one had lined sticker. Must have just used what ever they had in house.

Yes, not uncommon for a smaller developer.

I am still stumped as to why there were activision games and parker Bros. games with games that should be with Roklan games like "Racer and Crazy Climber." I am stumped. Maybe they did some programming on parts of those games.

It was not uncommon for developers to bootleg game titles from various manufacturers for comparison purposes; a bootleg of Kaboom! in an Atari lab loaner case was found just a few months ago. This find of yours is a mix of development protos and bootlegs. Although Roklan did develop some games for Parker Brothers, they had no hand in developing those Activision or PB titles you have copies of. Nor did they develop any of those Atari titles (apart from the unreleased 'Racer').

This is not surprising. The last copy of Racer that was found just a few months ago turned up alongside prototypes of Crazy Climber and Vanguard. While Roklan developed Racer and CC, they did not do Vanguard...that was a GCC project.

I have had great finds all over. You never know. I had great Coleco finds in New England, amazing finds in California and I got my Computer Space from Canada. The story about how I got that imported into the United States without the right paperwork is another GREAT story. Thank God the customs officer was a video game fan. He talked my ear off for 45 minutes then just let me go! LOL

All of these protos were in standard cases. Some had other normal game lables and eprom boards were put inside and then stickers were placed on them. Some had Roklan stickers some had white stickers one had lined sticker. Must have just used what ever they had in house.

Yes, not uncommon for a smaller developer.

I am still stumped as to why there were activision games and parker Bros. games with games that should be with Roklan games like "Racer and Crazy Climber." I am stumped. Maybe they did some programming on parts of those games.

It was not uncommon for developers to bootleg game titles from various manufacturers for comparison purposes; a bootleg of Kaboom! in an Atari lab loaner case was found just a few months ago. This find of yours is a mix of development protos and bootlegs. Although Roklan did develop some games for Parker Brothers, they had no hand in developing those Activision or PB titles you have copies of. Nor did they develop any of those Atari titles (apart from the unreleased 'Racer').

This is not surprising. The last copy of Racer that was found just a few months ago turned up alongside prototypes of Crazy Climber and Vanguard. While Roklan developed Racer and CC, they did not do Vanguard...that was a GCC project.

My question is, "Would there be a difference between the bootleg and the regular released version?" The game with "Revenge of the Jedi" has definate sound differences. Thank you for your information and help!

My question is, "Would there be a difference between the bootleg and the regular released version?" The game with "Revenge of the Jedi" has definate sound differences. Thank you for your information and help!

One would expect bootlegs of games from other developers/manufacturers to be final versions. If you have a bootleg of a beta version, that's very strange. That means either it's a true prototype and not a bootleg, or someone at Roklan somehow obtained a WIP version from the programmer (which is hard to imagine). As CPUWIZ asked earlier, I'm curious to know what kind of PCB was used for that particular cartridge. If the game was somehow hacked to run on a standard Atari board as Wickeycolumbus alluded to earlier, that could possibly account for some differences (if the sounds are in fact different).

One would expect bootlegs of games from other developers/manufacturers to be final versions. If you have a bootleg of a beta version, that's very strange. That means either it's a true prototype and not a bootleg, or someone at Roklan somehow obtained a WIP version from the programmer (which is hard to imagine). As CPUWIZ asked earlier, I'm curious to know what kind of PCB was used for that particular cartridge. If the game was somehow hacked to run on a standard Atari board as Wickeycolumbus alluded to earlier, that could possibly account for some differences (if the sounds are in fact different).

Thank you again! The World Champ Cart did NOT come from Michigan.

Since it is Jedi Arena (I was thinking it was Death Star Battle), I am guessing it is just a standard 4K Atari board.

Since it is Jedi Arena (I was thinking it was Death Star Battle), I am guessing it is just a standard 4K Atari board.

Oh, of course, it's just a hacked up Pac-Man cart with a soldered on inverter. Nevermind about opening it.

Oh, of course, it's just a hacked up Pac-Man cart with a soldered on inverter. Nevermind about opening it.

I just do not want to go and crack open carts that have been closed for 30+ years and are in the original condition that I found them in. I do not care if the screw hole is exposed. I do not care if you believe it is a Soldered on inverter (I do not even know what the hell that means.) When YOU own it you can open it. One of the first emails I got was someone warning me that these games may erase themselves if they are exposed to UV light. Now you are suggesting that I crack it open? Should I also leave it out in the sun all day after I open it? As long as they are mine I think I will keep them closed in the condition that I found them. What you do with your collection is up to you and if you crack open all of your cartridges. Good for you. Remind me not to buy anything from your collection. I have very high standards with regards to my collection. I do not go cracking open my carts. I have never opened any of my protos and I have many of them. The only one of my protos that is opened is a Data Age Proto and that case is now broken. So do not tell me, "nothing can happen or it's easy." You are very flippant with other people extreemly valuable items. I am sorry for those who really truly want to see inside, but I am going to be a little cautious when handeling these unique pieces of video game history.

I just do not want to go and crack open carts that have been closed for 30+ years and are in the original condition that I found them in. I do not care if the screw hole is exposed. I do not care if you believe it is a Soldered on inverter (I do not even know what the hell that means.) When YOU own it you can open it. One of the first emails I got was someone warning me that these games may erase themselves if they are exposed to UV light. Now you are suggesting that I crack it open? Should I also leave it out in the sun all day after I open it? As long as they are mine I think I will keep them closed in the condition that I found them. What you do with your collection is up to you and if you crack open all of your cartridges. Good for you. Remind me not to buy anything from your collection. I have very high standards with regards to my collection. I do not go cracking open my carts. I have never opened any of my protos and I have many of them. The only one of my protos that is opened is a Data Age Proto and that case is now broken. So do not tell me, "nothing can happen or it's easy." You are very flippant with other people extreemly valuable items. I am sorry for those who really truly want to see inside, but I am going to be a little cautious when handeling these unique pieces of video game history.

WTF, I said you don't need to open it afterall, because it's just a bootleg? :?

I have probably opened more protos and rarity 1-10 carts than anyone I know, I know what I am talking about. I don't know who took a crap in your cereal this morning, but I meant absolutely no offense.

But since you came at me with a steamroller, I have some protos to sell to you, cheap too. ;)

Uncalled for, dude. CPUWIZ was just giving you some friendly goading then recanted it when he got more information. I really don't think he was calling you out. I know CPUWIZ and he has nothing but the highest standards and is extremely knowledgeable about classic games. Not sure why you got so defensive all of a sudden. I think we are all very curious and excited about your recent finds and up to this point you have been rather gracious and open with your information exchange. Please don't let this aberrant encounter sour an otherwise exceptional piece of Atari history. We're all on the same side here. :)

Olive Branch Stan

:spidey:

Uncalled for, dude. CPUWIZ was just giving you some friendly goading then recanted it when he got more information. I really don't think he was calling you out. I know CPUWIZ and he has nothing but the highest standards and is extremely knowledgeable about classic games. Not sure why you got so defensive all of a sudden. I think we are all very curious and excited about your recent finds and up to this point you have been rather gracious and open with your information exchange. Please don't let this aberrant encounter sour an otherwise exceptional piece of Atari history. We're all on the same side here. :)

Olive Branch Stan

:spidey:

Well stated and I appoligise to CPUWIZ. If I misunderstood what you were saying. Please accept my sincere appology. It sounded like you were saying that it was just a cheep bootleg and I should not worry about opening it. Please understand were I am comming from. I am a collector. Because I truly LOVE video games. Not just the games but the history and the importance as a true art form. I am not as knowledgible on the technical side of things as many of the people on here. All I know is that this is truly a rare find. I usually keep under the radar. I do not care about publicity. I just thought that this was truly a historic find that everone in the video game community could appreciate it. I felt obligated to share it. Sorry if I got defensive.

Edited by Rareusgold

Damn man! You've got some crazy stuff there. Congrats.

I want the story of how you found the NWC as soon as you read this!!!!!!!!

Thank you, I will not go into detail about the location that I found that one, Sorry. But, it is a great story with a lot of luck involved! I had a friend who happens to be a video game dealer with me when I found it! I was at a Flea Market and while walking around a vender that I purchase stuff from in the past stopped me and said he had some new stuff that I might be interested in. Usually, I would have continued to walk around and get back to him later after he set up. (A practice I NO longer do!) But, since my friend was with me and I knew that the vender would have some stuff that my friend would be interested in purchasing I told him that we would come over immediatily and look at his stuff as he set up. It was a totally selfless act by me really. And a reason I now believe in Karma! As he was pulling out his stuff. I was looking at his NES games and I came across the NWC Cart with a $2 sticker on it. NOW if you know me. I am known for giving people extra money when I make a good find. So, Keep that in mind. Since this was many years ago and I was not as up on my knowledge as I am now. I knew it was a good find, but I did not know how good. So, I thought I would just ask the vender what the price was. My thinking was the sticker might have come off another cart and he really wanted $10,000 who knows. He said, "Can't you F&cken Read, it is $2 and I am NOT taking any less." I pulled out two crisp $1 Bills and handed them over with this shit eating grin on my face. My friend saw that I bought something and put it right into my pocket, but did not see what it was. Later as we walked away. We inspected the cart and thought it might be one of those cheap imports, untill we looked closer!

Now, here is the scary part. When we got back to my house. I immediatily ran to hook up my Top Loader and test my once in a life time find! And NO matter what I did I could not get it to work. I tried for 20 minutes. I was sweating and my bubble had burst. I realized that the seller knew it did not work and tried to sell me a crappy broken cart for $2! I was not too upset as even a broken Gold World Championship cart had to be worth hundreds of Dollars even back then when a working one was worth $5000. But, then my friend said why don't you try the front loader. A suggestion that sounded like a waste of time. But, I would have plugged it in to my atari 2600 if there was a one in a million chance it would work! So, I tore out my Front Loader and dusted it off. Plugged it in and the rest is history!

Sorry for the long winded story. But, It is my greatest finds ever. And all for $2!

Rich

post-24209-1250086802_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Now, here is the scary part. When we got back to my house. I immediatily ran to hook up my Top Loader and test my once in a life time find! And NO matter what I did I could not get it to work. I tried for 20 minutes. I was sweating and my bubble had burst. I realized that the seller knew it did not work and tried to sell me a crappy broken cart for $2! I was not too upset as even a broken Gold World Championship cart had to be worth hundreds of Dollars even back then when a working one was worth $5000. But, then my friend said why don't you try the front loader. A suggestion that sounded like a waste of time. But, I would have plugged it in to my atari 2600 if there was a one in a million chance it would work! So, I tore out my Front Loader and dusted it off. Plugged it in and the rest is history!

Sorry for the long winded story. But, It is my greatest finds ever. And all for $2!

Rich

Same thing happened to me. The NWC won't work in a top loader.