IGNORED

!DEMO! SUPER MARIO BROS 2600

bongomeno

SMB 2600 you say? Is it possible? I say... YES!

Ok heres the deal..... I was playing Sorcerer on my 2600 and figured Maby I could make a game like it, but then I quickly realized that I could make a Super Mario game instead! So I have spent the past few hours doing just that...(while playing video games too). This game is much more serious than my other 2600 games and I plan to do my best with it! I will make the NES fans jealous of the 2600!(ok maby not lol)

This is a much simpler version of the origional but is still fun.

It is currently in its demo stage and has a few or even many bugs.

PLEASE NOTE -

This game looks like the Kirby game by Atari2600land... that was by accident and i did not realize that until about half way through.

NOTABLE BUGS -

When you jump and touch the side of a platform, you stick to it. Hold jump to fall off... this is more of a lack of a feature that needs to be added rather than a bug. just try to avoid it for now...

When you lose a live, you are taken to the top of the screen where you fall back down, but sometimes if you are holding jump your y coordinate will wrap around and it will think you fell in a hole.

FEATURES TO BE ADDED -

Many more ares! as many as i can fit on a 4k cart!!!!!

A timer with selectable difficulty level

The princess at the end of the game and a boss, you must rescue her....

MUSIC AND TITLE SCREEN! WILL NEED HELP WITH MUSIC!!!!!

In game sfx.

And some other things I forgot as I was typing this..

CURRENT FEATURES -

There are enemies. You can kill then by jumping right on top of their head. This gives some points.

There are holes that u gotta jump over.

There are coins to collect for bonus points.

There is a princess to rescue at the end!

There is an (incomplete boss) at the end!

CONTROLS -

Left joystick.

To move push left and right.

To jump press fire.

Ill let you guess what the reset button does...

I NEED COMMENTS! TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

this the stuff... THESE PIX ARE NOW OLD!!!

post-23441-1249882407_thumb.png

post-23441-1249882433_thumb.png

post-23441-1249882455_thumb.png

post-23441-1249882460_thumb.png

post-23441-1249882470_thumb.png

post-23441-1249882489_thumb.png

mariobro.bas.bin

Edited by bongomeno

I NEED COMMENTS! TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

I have one comment so far: I hate it when games make you jump with the joystick instead of the fire button.

Have you looked at the Platformer source that batari posted:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=143772

He also posted a version that works with the standard kernel:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1750241

....But if it's going to be a Super Mario game, shouldn't it at least scroll? :) I mean, the main mechanics of SMB were all about running smoothly forward (never backward), bumping mystery-boxes for bonuses and powerups, etc. Mario himself could look like a square brick as long as those gameplay elements were in place.

Also, maybe you should check around this forum for some samples of fixed-point math for jumping and movement physics. These are pretty much the things I think about when I think about SMB.

yeah but i wanted to do my own code. as for the jump thing is less strict than others but if it is REALLY needed ill change to button.

Your jumping code is not the worst I've seen, but IMO, a Mario game should have top-notch jumping.

I will warn you that good jumping code is not simple. I consider myself a slightly better than average bB programmer, and the jumping/platformer code I wrote took probably 40 hours to get working the way it is.

I will warn you that good jumping code is not simple. I consider myself a slightly better than average bB programmer, and the jumping/platformer code I wrote took probably 40 hours to get working the way it is.

Very true. First, the physics is somewhat difficult, especially if you've never done anything with newtonian physics (i.e. vectors and stuff). What I think is really a b*tch, though, is doing the platformer software collision detection and player position collision adjustments - all kinds of irritating 'gotchas' start popping up.

Edited by Ben_Larson

Very true. First, the physics is somewhat difficult, especially if you've never done anything with newtonian physics (i.e. vectors and stuff). What I think is really a b*tch, though, is doing the platformer software collision detection and player position collision adjustments - all kinds of irritating 'gotchas' start popping up.

You are correct - the newtonian physics aren't bad, but the collision detection took all the time.

One tip to anyone considering a platformer who insists on writing his own code - don't rely on the hardware collision registers (i.e. if collision in bB) as you'll probably never get something working very well.

I don't think there's any sensible way to use the native collision detection, whether using momentum or not. Data tables that define collision regions/bounding boxes seems to be the way to go.

Edited by jrok

Yeah, but this game still doesn't remind me at all of Super Mario Brothers... except for the fact that it's called "Super Mario Brothers." Sorry if that sounds harsh. But if you are going to ride the coatails of a beloved game franchise, shouldn't you try to squeeze in a little of the actual gameplay?

Or, better yet, you could create something original. This doesn't feel at all like SMB, but with some effort it could become something entirely unique :ponder:

read the OP.

Its a demo version, meaning INCOMPLETE!

I spent a few hours on this while playing another game.

but I dont wanna make another 2600 translation look bad. I just wanted to do it cuz no1 else has before... but I guess I might as well change up the name and theme...

read the OP.

Its a demo version, meaning INCOMPLETE!

I spent a few hours on this while playing another game.

but I dont wanna make another 2600 translation look bad. I just wanted to do it cuz no1 else has before... but I guess I might as well change up the name and theme...

I don't want to discourage you. It's just that it's not reminding me of that game at all. For me, the only thing that's remotely like SMB right now is the name. I assumed you wanted an honest critique of this program.

And just so you know, lots of people have thrown their hat into this particular ring. You aren't the first to try Super Mario Brothers... I mean, it's Mario for Pete's Sake ;)

I don't think I've seen anything that's come close to capturing the gameplay, although Thomas Jentsch's "Swoops" and a few other homebrew efforts have gotten certain mechanics feeling like they should.

Good luck, though.

J

Edited by jrok