IGNORED

7800 Sega Master Style...

Armonigann

Hello, everyone. I've been playing my one button 7800 games recently with my Sega Master System controller and damn is it loads of super sweetness!!! Games like Galaga,Donkey Kong, Centipede, DK Jr., Asteroids (hit down to teleport), Dig Dug, Mario Bros., Joust, and even Pole Posistion II (who needs brakes). It amazes me how responsive they are w/ the controllers .Don't get me wrong I do love my Prolines unlike most others ,for games like Ninja Golf, MotorPsycho, Mrs. Pacman,Xenephobe,Commando (even though I wish the SMS controller was compatible with this port) Desert Falcon, and One on One. I was wondering if the Europen controllers were just as responsive and feel just as good to the hands as the SMS controller except the fact that you have the extra button to work with. I've been contemplating for awhile now about whether or not I should go ahead and pay the money to get a cx7800 or just mod my sega master controller.. Keep it authintec 7800 or go 7800 ..Sega Master Style.. Take it easy guys and happy game plays. P.S. Xevious truley rocks with the SMS controller (IMO) button 1 shoots and dumps bombs at the same time!!

Edited by Armonigann

• 10 months later...

Hello, everyone. I've been playing my one button 7800 games recently with my Sega Master System controller and damn is it loads of super sweetness!!! Games like Galaga,Donkey Kong, Centipede, DK Jr., Asteroids (hit down to teleport), Dig Dug, Mario Bros., Joust, and even Pole Posistion II (who needs brakes). It amazes me how responsive they are w/ the controllers .Don't get me wrong I do love my Prolines unlike most others ,for games like Ninja Golf, MotorPsycho, Mrs. Pacman,Xenephobe,Commando (even though I wish the SMS controller was compatible with this port) Desert Falcon, and One on One. I was wondering if the Europen controllers were just as responsive and feel just as good to the hands as the SMS controller except the fact that you have the extra button to work with. I've been contemplating for awhile now about whether or not I should go ahead and pay the money to get a cx7800 or just mod my sega master controller.. Keep it authintec 7800 or go 7800 ..Sega Master Style.. Take it easy guys and happy game plays. P.S. Xevious truley rocks with the SMS controller (IMO) button 1 shoots and dumps bombs at the same time!!

You know, I haven't actually even seen the cx7800 in person, but I can't imagine it's better than a sega pad. Just mod that thing.

The SEGA PAD is the way to go. I have several of both. My favorite is a nice modded MasterSystem controller for the 7800.

Can you imagine how the 7800 would have been in the late 80s and early 90s had they re-released it with modernized Sega-style controllers? The entire gameplay experience would have been altered. And it would have felt more cutting edge rather than have joysticks which were perceived as being outdated by the time of the Nintendo craze.

Since you seem to be into modifying controllers, I got got a question. Is a Sega Master System controller any different from a Sega Genesis controller?

Yes. But not that much. You can just use a Genesis controller if you really wanna but I prefer a nice modded Master System controller. Ten years ago we were trying to make new 7800s and they had this gloss black band across the top with raised little circular bumps. or maybe it was graphite i forget, but you know instead of the silver band. it was bad to the bone. we also had different controllers we were playing with mostly hacks and then some cheap plastic moulds to try new ones. nothing worked out very well cost wise.

but the one cool thing was we had a source for a load of Sega Master System controllers that were brand new but didnt have the little plastic labels on the front of them, you know with the design and all. And we had a matching gloss black or graphite band for the controller that said "Atari 7800.com ProSystem" on it, it was slick as shiz.

and so maybe that's an idea YOU can try yourself at home.

You mean the 2nd button on a Sega Master System controllers acts the same way as a button C on a Genesis controller? I think I get that 1st button on a Sega Master System controllers is same thing as a button B on a Genesis controller.

The reason I brought this up is because of this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/158430-rom-hacks-to-support-2-buttons-with-genesis-controllers/

One of posters a while ago, said that the C button can be made to work on 7800 hacks in the similar way.